SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Globe Op-ed: "T. Boone, show us the money"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Globe Op-ed: "T. Boone, show us the money" Reply with quote

Kerry has, apparently, decided there's more political meat on T. Boone's "challenge". According to this op-ed, Kerry's "BOB" has recently sent a letter to T. Boone attempting to reinvigorate the issue.

My guess is Kerry is attempting to insulate himself from any further fall-out in his 2008 Senate campaign from would-be demo contender Ed O'Reilly and/or the GOP nominee.

Perhaps it also might be a show of political bravado as he sucks up to Demo nominee Obama for a possible cabinet position. Your guess as good as mine...(emphasis mine)

Quote:
T. Boone, show us the money
By Scot Lehigh
Globe Columnist / June 20, 2008

<snip>

...and now five former members of Kerry's second swift boat crew have sent you a letter taking you up on it. A letter that makes this offer: "We . . . will bring with us a Navy/Pentagon certified copy of Senator Kerry's full military record and his writings and the movie footage you have requested. We will sit with you while you go through them page for page, frame by frame and answer any questions you may have."

<snip>

Yes, this is being done with the help of Kerry's office, but crew members insist the initiative was theirs.

Boston Globe Op-ed

"... a Navy/Pentagon certified copy of Senator Kerry's full military record...". Hmmmmm. I failed to note that they would bring along a Kerry-signed SF180 granting T. Boone (or anyone) unrestricted access to Kerry's records. Perhaps I missed that somewhere?
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Boone would like to invite the SVPT to join them for beer and burgers or steaks while they go through the records. I hope Kerry's "BOB" bring Kerry's "magic" CIA hat, too...."care for another 'rice cake' anyone?"
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a normal world of journalistic reportage, the question is begged..."Why a 'certified copy' in lieu of unrestricted access via SF180?"

I'll not hold my breath waiting for someone to ask it.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably got a "buy one get one free two-fer" from the "source" that CERTIFIED the Bush National Guard letter and had to use the second one for Kerry's records when that scam blew up in their faces so quickly....
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, Pickens asked for access to more than just Kerry's meager record. He also asked for documents of Military Records between 1970 and 1978 when the Discharge Kerry posted was dated.

Men like Pickens don't get where they are by being dumb or foolish, but often let others they are preying on believe they are.

I get the feeling that Pickens is just slowly reeling Kerry in, still.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question I keep asking myself is why now? Perhaps this...

With Kerry under consideration as a potential running mate for Obama, it seems clear that Kerry would have to demonstrate, somehow, his mastery over the issues raised by SVPT in 2004. I think that may be the impetus behind his latest defense-by-proxy (which, if I might venture an early observation, is being met with a collective media yawn).

On that note, from a recent NY Sun editorial...

Quote:
Obama-Kerry?
Editorial of The New York Sun
June 17, 2008

If Mr. Obama hasn't realized that a majority of Americans consider Mr. Kerry to be insufferable and many a phony more suited to being president of France than of America, he deserves the Massachusetts senator as a running mate. Given Mr. Obama's recent propensity for policy pirouettes, maybe he'd be a perfect match with the senator famous for being for funding the troops in Iraq before he voted against it. What a team. What a party. With this ticket the Republicans could just let the television late-night talk show joke-writers run the campaign against the Democrats.

NY Sun
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LA Times is carrying the following, notably deeply buried in a political blog...and probably worth a trip just to see the photo of Kerry chosen to illustrate the entry...

Quote:
John Kerry's Swift Boat pals to T. Boone: Cough up $1 million

We're in the thick of a pretty intense presidential campaign, but that doesn't mean all the scores from the 2004 election have been settled.

<snip>

The 15-page letter and 42 pages of Navy reports and other documentation focus principally on a 1969 engagement in which three boats under Kerry's supervision counterattacked after an ambush on a tributary of the Bay Hap River.

Kerry won a Silver Star for his actions, but critics contended he had exaggerated the incident and his own heroism. In this week's response, Kerry's crew offers details, after-action reports and the medal citation to prove that Kerry led with valor.

LA Times - cont'd
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From in the LA Times article,
Quote:
But some background information he did not share in that story give his account even greater credibility: Records at the time indicated that Rood was a registered Republican.

John O'Neill's being a Democrat gave him no credibility at all in their eyes. Confused
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NY Times buries the story as well in a blog apparently accessible only for those who go looking for it. It is nice, however, to see Zernike and her agitprop given the prominence it is due...

Quote:
The Caucus
The New York Times Political Blog

June 21, 2008, 10:42 am
Still Fighting the ‘Swift Boat’ Battle
By Kate Zernike

<snip>

Of course, none of this is really new. Extensive media accounts undermined the Swift Boat charges in 2004...

NY Times - cont'd

TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: His Bark is Worse than his Bite Reply with quote

Ruf Ruf!

I was against gigolo lapdogs ... before I became one...
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: The Devil Made Me Do It, #1 Reply with quote

OK, I just HAD to...... Laughing

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/21/still-fighting-the-swift-boat-battle/#comments

Here is my comment on their blog...come on in, the water's fine!

Before choosing sides in this foodfight, you might want to examine the evidence presented by both sides.

...by the way, here is a more accurate definition of the term "swiftboating" than the perjorative use it has acquired through misunderstanding, (page 324 of "To Set The Record Straight"):

"Swiftboating: Exposing the lies, deceit and fraud of self-glorifying public officials or candidates for public office who exaggerate their military service by lying about their feats of heroism and combat wounds."

Next you might want to read the actual accusations and the supporting facts. Try these sources for openers.

"Kerry Leaves Local Dems Hanging"
Author: Tracy Lotz and Mary Fauth
Tuesday, March 23, 2004
http://www.sunvalleyonline.com/news/article.asp?ID_Article=22

From the Editor: "Kerry Volunteers Deserved Better"
Wednesday, March 24, 2004
http://www.sunvalleyonline.com/news/opinion.asp?ID_Opinion=28

http://www.wintersoldier.com/
http://www.tstrs.com

John Kerry could clear up all the mystery by signing the Standard Form 180 and letting everyone read it. The key is in the years following his exit from Vietnam and his replacement "honorable" discharge (thanks, President Jimmah Carter) to replace his original "less than honorable" one. Is John Kerry willing to put up a million dollars to prove he did not originally recieve a "less than honorable" discharge? Show us the money, Mr. Heinz-Kerry.

[edit: been checking all day. I guess my comments didn't pass muster...pity]
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Kerry hasn't been getting the mileage he had hoped for with this story (most, if not all of the usual culprits had it buried in a blog somewhere), so Kerry toady Kate Zernike and the Kerry-lapdogs on the Times editorial staff have elected to move it to the front page of the NY Times' website (same story, different locale, albeit far down on the page in the "political" section)...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/us/politics/22kerry.html
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we have come to expect, Taranto avails himself of an opportunity for some fun at Kerry's expense...

Quote:
BEST OF THE WEB TODAY

The Race May Not Be Always to the Swift

Last November, at The American Spectator's annual dinner, oilman T. Boone Pickens issued a challenge: He offered $1 million to anyone who could prove false any of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth's allegations about John Kerry *. As we noted that month, Kerry himself wrote to Pickens demanding the money, but he neglected to offer the requested proof.

Now veterans who support Kerry are making another go at it. Boston Globe columnist Scott Lehigh reports that "five former members of Kerry's second swift boat crew," acting "with the help of Kerry's office," are making another play for Pickens's million. Writes Lehigh:
    You see, T. Boone, they are steamed. As far as they're concerned, in disparaging Kerry's medals and conduct, SBVT cast doubt on their honors and service too. Crew member Fred Short tells me that after SBVT started running its ads, a work colleague asked him if he was worried he would go to jail, apparently thinking he might have helped Kerry concoct a false account of wartime events.
For our part, we don't think Fred Short should go to jail. It will be interesting to see if these guys are able to disprove any of the Swift Boat Veterans' charges. At this point, we're skeptical. After all, if the claims could be proved false, wouldn't Kerry have done so in 2004?

* Who promised the late Tim Russert 1,240 days ago that he would release his military records.

Best of the Web Today
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1 said:
Quote:
The question I keep asking myself is why now?

Could it be that the Swiftvets formally disbanded May 31st?
JK may feel he can resurrect his lies and obfuscations without the threat of SVPT.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so...but who knows. My best guess is he's trying to rehabilitate himself as some kind of legitimate prospect for the VP slot.

Obama would have to have lost his mind to consider it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: