SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canada to send American deserters back home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Canada to send American deserters back home Reply with quote

Canada to send American deserters back home

A Pentagon advisor says he's encouraged by the recent decision by the Conservative Canadian government to send American deserters back to the U.S. for possible court-martial and dishonorable discharge.

According to the Wall Street Journal, approximately 30,000 active duty U.S. service members have been reported as deserters since 2003. The Pentagon defines a deserter as a member of the armed forces who has been away without leave 30 consecutive days or more or has sought asylum in a foreign country. While the actual number of deserters living in Canada is not known, The New York Times earlier this year cited the War Resisters Support Campaign estimate of more than 200.

Lt. Colonel Bob Maginnis (USA-Ret.) expects the U.S. will actively prosecute deserters that Canada sends home. "The military is pretty strict on treason -- and if it gets its hands on these people, it will put them in jail. They'll spend years, I would expect, in jail," says the senior Army strategist. "I don't think they're just going to let them go free unless a new president comes in and grants amnesty -- and of course we've seen that in the past."

Maginnis believes the U.S. is willing "to take care of its own dirty laundry" in the matter, but has to "get its hands" on those he says failed to do their duty and chose to leave the country.

The Canadian government is expected to begin deporting American deserters as early as this month.

Send them to California to fight the fires...get them "acclimated" for their eventual eternal home....
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I applaud Canada's decision, I do not believe the Army or Marines will do any more than slap the hands of the deserters and discharge them.

It's a good bet the Canadians feel the same as I do.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Fall In! Reply with quote

Strip them of their right to vote and all benefits and put them on Guard Duty at the worst Hell holes on Earth...including the Marine Recruiting Station in Berkeley, CA. Put them in them Pink uniforms so they can operate in "stealth" mode.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Send them to California to fight the fires

If they couldn't be trusted to fulfill their contracts in defense of America, how could they be trusted to fight fires?

As to where they may eventually end up, I leave that in the hands of the Almighty.

Regardless of who wins this next presidential election, it wouldn't surprise me to see yet another amnesty deal for deserters come down.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew, you have a heart of gold. Surely they could be trusted with a walkie-talkie and a thermometer so they could give us a reading if they were airdropped into the center of the "action". We do something sorta like that with hurricanes, don't we? Very Happy
ocsparky101
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the glass half full perspective. Canada has done our troops who serve a huge favor. Can you imagine our hero's having to depend on any one of these cowards to watch their backs. It does not matter what the liberals do now. What is important is they were not available to do harm.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada to send American deserters back home Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
...Conservative Canadian government...

For the times, they are a-changing...hopefully not too late.

Canadian Human Rights Commission action against Mark Steyn...DISMISSED

American deserters...no more refuge?

Are Canadians waking up?
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the U.S. punishes them severely, they still win a moral victory just like their predecessors did after Vietnam, and their "victory" will inspire others like them to follow suit. Cancer has to be cut out and put on display for educational purposes. ...I know, won't happen....
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada to send American deserters back home Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
TEWSPilot wrote:
...Conservative Canadian government...

For the times, they are a-changing...hopefully not too late.

Canadian Human Rights Commission action against Mark Steyn...DISMISSED

American deserters...no more refuge?

Are Canadians waking up?

Just when you thought they were finally on OUR side, they pull THIS:

Father concerned for jailed soldier

By Joshua Rinaldi
Staff Writer
Middletown Ohio Journal

Monday, July 14, 2008

Army Cpl. Kevin Shope is shown here in the center.

HAMILTON — A local man is concerned for his son, a soldier he said is in jail in Canada for possessing a firearm.

Army Cpl. Kevin Shope, a 25-year-old Hamilton High School graduate, was cutting through Canada on his way from Michigan to report to Fort Drum in New York, according to his father, David Shope of Hamilton.

Shope said today, July 15, his son had his pistol packed in his vehicle and was arrested on gun charges.

A Canadian newspaper reported Saturday, July 12, that an Ohio soldier was arrested on weapons charges.

Shope said his son could face a mandatory three-year sentence if convicted. He said a bail hearing would be Friday, July 18, but a court date could take up to a year.

"I'm really concerned for his freedom," Shope said.

William Harvey, commander of the American Legion Post 138, said he is organizing a letter writing campaign on Kevin Shope's behalf.

"We're trying to call everyone we can think of to help him," Harvey said. "He's sure not a felon."

Harvey said that the Army has yet to become involved because Shope hadn't checked in Fort Drum before his arrest.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno TEWS...seems like packing a firearm in a suitcase prior to crossing a border is a pretty boneheaded thing to do and I'm not confident I'd want American authorities to react much differently.

That being said, hopefully the current "thaw" in Can-USA relations can make this go away without some major repurcussions to the soldier.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: On balance, I think this is overkill Reply with quote

#1, I agree, but maybe the soldier had no other way to transport it. He couldn't just drop it in the mail and have it waiting when he got to Fort Drum. Perhaps we need some sort of policy allowing U.S. military members reporting to a duty station under orders to pack their own self-defense weapons in their luggage. Unarmed U.S. military members have been attacked even in the U.S. Given the circumstances, I don't think putting a young U.S. military member reporting for duty in Canadian prisons for 3 years for having a pistol packed in his luggage is justified. For balance, let's see what happens to the returned deserters.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
I dunno TEWS...seems like packing a firearm in a suitcase prior to crossing a border is a pretty boneheaded thing to do and I'm not confident I'd want American authorities to react much differently.

That being said, hopefully the current "thaw" in Can-USA relations can make this go away without some major repurcussions to the soldier.

I have to say that I'd look twice at anyone taking a handgun into Canada. I mean they're begging for trouble, if they get caught. In this case, the long way around would have been the correct way.

I don't agree with the Canadian hand gun laws, but then it's their country. I expect the same respect from Canadians with regard to our laws.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm just too lost in the old world of "common sense" where authorities actually assessed situations and made judgements rather than just applying "one size fits all" law like a robot. Maybe the folks living in the area, including this soldier, should have known better or maybe they are just used to be treating like slaves of the all powerful state. I think I was born much too late.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
I guess I'm just too lost in the old world of "common sense" where authorities actually assessed situations and made judgements rather than just applying "one size fits all" law like a robot. Maybe folks living in the area like this soldier should have known better are just used to be treating like slaves of the all powerful state. I was born much too late.

Common sense and the law seldom cross paths when Liberals have their way. Wink
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference the deserter. The UCMJ will take care of him. His actions are well defined in articles 85 and 86 so it will be up to a courts martial. I believe a dishonorable is considered a felony so voting rights are removed (except for those liberal states that have modified it).

Reference the CPL: A 25 year old corporal? Well, the intelligence factor is amply shown on this one. The phrase "He's old enough to know better" comes immediately to mind. I grant you his actions were probably innocent enough to warrant a simple "shame on you" but I hope his actions are considered by the Army when it comes to any sort of future leadership position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: