SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taranto: "Kerry and interfaith"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Taranto: "Kerry and interfaith" Reply with quote

From Best of the Web 7/29. Taranto does this so well:

Quote:
BEST OF THE WEB TODAY

The Bullet America Dodged
By JAMES TARANTO
July 29, 2008

Remember John Kerry? He was the Democrats' presidential nominee a scant four years ago, and he is still making the occasional speech, as if to remind us how wise we were not to elect him. Last night he gave what the Boston Globe's Michael Paulson touts as "a major speech on interfaith dialogue" at a "Christian-Muslim conference" at Yale.

Here's how Paulson described Kerry's speech in a preview yesterday:
    Kerry, reflecting on his Puritan ancestors as well as his Catholic upbringing, makes a plea for coexistence, if not agreement, between faiths, saying, "Somehow, we have to find a way to agree that faith may be worth dying for, but it cannot be worth killing for. We have to strive for a global ethic that allows each of our religious faiths to express themselves fully but also allows us to unite around common ethical ground."

Kerry, [the haughty, French-looking] Massachusetts Democrat who [by the way served in Vietnam and] narrowly lost the presidential race in 2004, says that many Americans, including politicians, know too little about Islam. And he connects that lack of knowledge to America's decision to go to war against Iraq.

"My pride in America's successes is tempered by knowing that we are a long way from mutual understanding with the Muslim world today," he says. ". . . We have major politicians who couldn't tell you the difference between Shi'a and Sunni--so it's no wonder that we attack a secular dictator in response to radical fundamentalist terrorists."
Kerry also said, "I know enough about Islam to know that I don't know enough about Islam," which we guess is supposed to explain why he voted for the Iraq war despite his retrospective pro-Saddam position.

In any case, Kerry's mild antipathy toward America plainly is rooted in ignorance. He blames America for the lack of "mutual understanding with the Muslim world," but the basic problem is that certain strains of Islam encourage their adherents to kill for their religion. In fact, an Associated Press story illustrates what America's enemies think of interfaith dialogues:
    An al-Qaida commander who escaped from a U.S. prison in Afghanistan has posted a Web video urging Muslims to kill the Saudi king for leading an interfaith conference.

Abu Yahia al-Libi, who escaped from Bagram prison in 2005, said "bringing religions together . . . means renouncing Islam."

Saudi King Abdullah sponsored this month's dialogue in Madrid among Jews, Muslims, Christians, Hindus and Buddhists, and encouraged all faiths to turn away from extremism.

But al-Libi said "equating Islam with other religions is a betrayal of Islam." He called for "the speedy killing of this tyrant."
Anyone who thinks the problem is that Americans don't understand our enemies' religion, doesn't understand our enemies' religion. Good thing we had enough sense to keep such a man out of the White House.

Best Of The Web Today

-Wlm Shakespeare
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Taranto heads-up IB...and in deference (ok, maybe homage by now) to his style, I took the liberty of re-formating your post for posterity Laughing

By the way, has anyone figured out how to link to Taranto archives?

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1,
I suppose a subscription to WSJ would help. BotW drops free to my mail box.

-Wlm Shakespeare
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I B Squidly wrote:
#1,
I suppose a subscription to WSJ would help. BotW drops free to my mail box.

Yeah, I know IB...but there's no "permalinks" that I can find to prior BOTWT commentary. Before they changed the page format, there was an archive of links to prior Taranto goodies on the right side of the page.

Perhaps I'm overlooking it, but it appears that you only get a "free" look at Taranto until his next offering sends that page into WSJ limbo...I assume in some pay-for-view archive. Crying or Very sad
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1, I get links in Taranto's column. This story was from the Boston globe.

<http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles_of_faith/2008/07/kerry_to_addres.html>

Do you have your BOTWT emails set for html?
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're talking past one another here. What I'm talking about is a link that will take you to this particular Taranto post tomorrow, next week, next year etc. etc etc. :wink:

update: If you look down at the bottom of the BOTW page, there are permalinks to yesterday's column (Mon Jul 28) and Friday's column (Fri Jul 25). Earlier than that, your guess is as good as mine, but I assume they can only be retrieved via pay-for-view archives.

Tomorrow, when a new column is posted, I'll replace the link above with the "permalink" which will be shown tomorrow...and that should work forever ;-)

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:47 am; edited 4 times in total
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooops, sorry. Maybe this will help, although it doesn't address specific comments.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/toc/
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zinfella wrote:
Oooooooops, sorry. Maybe this will help, although it doesn't address specific comments.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/toc/

This gets "curioser and curiouser". The "Best of the Web" page on that link takes you to a BOTW "archive" of articles posted in Jan and Feb of this year...why? Damned if I know.

There IS, however, a BOTW archive "search" that is supposed to retrieve BOTW columns from the archive, but it doesn't appear to work.

When I search for the column from...say...Jul 24, 2008, it returns articles from February instead Confused
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links go from there on back, into 2007, and maybe beyond. I dunno what happened to everything since. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: