SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vietnam Vets Protest Jane Fonda's Broadway Role

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Vietnam Vets Protest Jane Fonda's Broadway Role Reply with quote

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,498131,00.html

I am posting this in case some of you did not see it.

Also hoping that someone in NY area will see it & get out there & help protest.

Please spread it around to as many as you can, I wanna see this show close.

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many people feel that Vietnam vets should forgive Jane Fonda, because of various reasons. Below are just two comments.

"Jane Fonda really did nothing but exercise her right to free speech."

"There's nothing to apologize for. The men in Vietnam were aggressors and invaders and war criminals. They deserve no special consideration."

----------------------

Vietnam vets protest Jane Fonda's Broadway showing

NEW YORK – It's been decades, but Jane Fonda still can't shake her "Hanoi Jane" image from the Vietnam War.

NIHON DENPA NEWS
Jane Fonda was photographed in July, 1972 as she sat on the gunner's seat of a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun near Hanoi.

About a dozen Vietnam veterans and other protesters on Saturday picketed the theater where the 71-year-old actress is starring in the Broadway play "33 Variations," telling passers-by that she had once visited their Viet Cong enemy in Hanoi.

"Jane Fonda is a traitor," said Dan Maloney of the Gathering of Eagles, which bills itself as a national, nonpartisan veterans group. "She got on Hanoi radio and called every U.S. serviceman a war criminal."

Fonda was tagged with the sobriquet "Hanoi Jane" in 1972 after visiting the North Vietnamese capital, where she made radio broadcasts critical of U.S. policy and sat on an anti-aircraft gun laughing and clapping, as she describes in her autobiography, "My Life So Far."

Though she still defends her anti-war activism, Fonda has acknowledged that the incident was "a betrayal" of American forces.

"That two-minute lapse of sanity will haunt me until the day I die," she wrote.

[It was a lot longer than "two minutes". So why isn't she in prison for treason instead of being on Broadway living the good life she helped deny to honorable Vietnam Veterans and the HELL she helped inflict on POWs?]

Fonda currently plays a musicologist in the Moises Kaufman play about reconciliation, set against the woman's obsession with Beethoven's 33 variations on a waltz. It marks her return to Broadway after 46 years.

Just for the record, she did her thing in 1972, the year I arrived in Vietnam. Who do you suppose she inspired the Communist gunners to shoot at? Yeah, it's personal with me for that reason alone....and the fact that I knew some of the guys being held by the Communists and some who got shot down later and held...and some who were shot down and killed by her Communist soulmates.

IN MEMORY OF THE CREW OF BARON 52, DOWNED 4 FEBRUARY 1973
click on graphic to enter...please remove headgear before entering...

LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Jane Fonda really did nothing but exercise her right to free speech."

Perhaps they don't realize that we have free speech also and are exercising it.

I have no forgiveness for this person, not that she has ever asked for it. Her only regret was her photo circulating of her at the anti-aircraft gun.

She might not have traveled to North Viet Nam until 1972, but she was very active with her anti-American tactics long before that.

She advocated communism, but made millions for herself which she keeps.

For forum decorum, I'll refrain from more of my feelings towards this woman.
baldeagle
PO2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The left has always confused the 1st adm'nt right to free speech (no government interference) with the right to say whatever they desired with no consequences (others disagreeing with their opinion) ie; Susan Sarandon's other half, forget his name, (CRS), and his statement about "a chill wind blowing".
The right to say your piece does not convey a right to do so without dissent.
"In a word, I want an American character, that the powers of Europe may be convinced we act for ourselves and not for others; this, in my judgment, is the only way to be respected abroad and happy at home." --George Washington
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldeagle got it.

I've looked and looked and this simple one sentence amendment only says that Congress will make no law abridging (cutting short, or curtail) the freedom of speech. There is absolutely nothing anywhere that says you can't be held accountable for the exercising of this freedom. Yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater, or "Gun" at a political rally come to mind. Yep, you can say it but boy howdy are you in for a world of hurt.

So, you can say anything you want. You can also be held responsible for what you say and yes, there could be consequences.

Fonda has never got it.
dusty
Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"That two-minute lapse of sanity will haunt me until the day I die," she wrote.

Two minutes? Hardly. It took a lot longer than two minutes for her to form her opinions and act on them by committing treason against her country.

Her treason was not just a flight of fancy on her part.

Two minutes? I'll not concede that to her at all.

The 'disinformation' campaign the Communists carried out in this country during the Vietnam conflict was, by their own words the most successful propaganda campaign they ever pulled off.
We allowed their success here in this country by not prosecuting and holding accountable with dire consequences those who participated in denigrating our country and her fighting forces on behalf of our enemy then, and we are continuing that mistake today.
If you wish to dissent against a war that's fine. But you have to wait till our men and women, your brothers and sisters, are not in harms way.
Voice that opinion either before or after the action is engaged, but damn sure not during it.

No, Fonda knows what she can do with her 'two minutes'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: