SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maj. Steven Hutchison R.I.P.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Maj. Steven Hutchison R.I.P. Reply with quote

One of our fellow Vietnam Vets recently became the oldest American soldier to die in Iraq. He had served with the 101st Airborne in Vietnam from 1968 through 1970.

He had wanted to rejoin the army after the 9/11 attack but his wife dissuaded him. After she died of cancer he reenlisted and served in Afghanistan before being assigned to Iraq.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1182382/Vietnam-veteran-Major-Steven-Hutchison-oldest-U-S-soldier-die-Iraq-age-60.html
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read of the loss of another seemingly larger-than-life American hero such as Major Steven Hutchinson, I will invariably recall the final line of "The Bridges at Toki-Ri"...which, perhaps ironically, might represent one of Hollywood's final tributes to traditional American values.

"Where do we get such men?"

Perhaps the following comments by then Gov. Ronald Reagan in 1974 might offer a brief insight into answering that most prodigious question...

Quote:
My generation has paid a higher price and has fought harder for freedom than any generation that has ever lived. We have known four wars in a single lifetime. All were horrible, all could have been avoided if at a particular moment in time we had made it plain that we subscribed to the words of John Stuart Mill when he said that “war is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things.”

The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war is worse. The man who has nothing which he cares about more than his personal safety is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Governor Ronald Reagan (R-CA)
Conservative Political Action Conference
Washington, DC
January 25, 1974

Be they 18 or 60, that same level of courage, dedication, spirit of self-sacrifice and commitment to safeguarding our heritage of freedom, so poignantly exemplified in the service of Major Steven Hutchinson, is demonstrated daily in the service of each and every member of our modern volunteer military forces.

May God protect and bless them all.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not specifically meaning war, Martin Luther King Jr. once said, "A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."

Thomas Jefferson famously said, "From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots."

Major Steven Hutchinson is befitting of the honor of his life fulfilling both quotes.

May he rest in peace and not be forgotten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: