SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Understanding Lefty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Understanding Lefty Reply with quote

If you're anything like me, you've spent more than a few moments trying to comprehend just what it is that makes lefties do what they do. I've got a jumble of my own pet theories that I've never really attempted to assemble into some coherent synopsis but, even on my best "understanding lefty" day, I'm still left generally bewildered and unsatisfied.

In a recent comment to a blog post at "The New Clarion" blog, commenter "dismuke" addressed this very question with one of the better explanations of "what makes a leftist tick" that I've had the pleasure to read. While it's a bit long, I think you'll find that the composition just flies by and (if you need any extra incentive) Jean Fraud gets the treatment in his own paragraph...

Quote:
dismuke // Aug 16, 2009 at 12:01 pm

“I think it was Aquinas who said that the most powerful argument in a debate is the truth. This doesn’t even register with the left. There are no absolutes, no reason, no truth.”

Yes! To a Leftist, “reality” is merely something that is created by words and the intentions behind them.

Leftists have never progressed much beyond the six year old who thinks his parents are being “mean” when they tell him that they simply do not have the money to pay for a trip to Disneyland. “But going to Disneyland would be fun,” the child repeatedly protests. “But Jimmy’s family got to go to Disneyland.” In the child’s mind, his parents make all sorts of things happen – a home, food, clothing, a car, etc. He has no idea how they make such things happen and he doesn’t really care – and thus he concludes that his parents denying him a trip to Disneyland has to be motivated by malevolence on their part with their talk about not having money being little more than a rationalization. To a child and a Leftist, the fact that something is deemed desirable ought to be the end of the argument.

To a Leftist, a person’s virtue is not determined by his actions or how in touch he is with reality but rather by his motivations. Therefore, a person’s opinions are to be measured not by how much they conform with reality but by the motivation behind them.

Thus a person who points out that socialized medicine leads to shortages, rationing and death panels is mean and immoral on grounds of: why would anyone want to believe such a thing to be true? A truly benevolent person would want government control of medicine to produce universal abundance of high quality medical care that people could access at any time for little or no cost. What kind of person would NOT want something like that to happen – unless of course he was malevolent and in the employ of the insurance or medical industry wishing to preserve his financial stake in the current system at the expense of his fellow citizens?

Those who demonstrate why socialized medicine is necessarily a disaster and point to overwhelming evidence in England and Canada – well, to a Leftists, such evidence, no matter how compelling it may be, is little more than a rationalization of and proof of their opponents’ malevolent intentions. Indeed, a Leftist regards such criticism as being profoundly destructive and evil because it undermines what they believe to be the magical power of motivations in the form of words to shape “reality.” If everybody would just have the same “good intentions” and believed in it, then socialized medicine would be a resounding success. But naysayers come along and prevent that from happening with their pesky rationalizations and evidence.

If socialized medicine fails, it is not because there is anything wrong with socialized medicine – it is because the malevolent naysayers who want it to fail keep pointing out its failures.

Demonstrate why solar panels are not sufficient to replace the power grid – well, that makes you a bad person. Why would you be against unlimited, free, non-polluting power – unless of course you work for the greedy oil industry? Facts? Evidence? You wouldn’t even go looking for such “evidence” unless you had the malevolent intention of trying to destroy solar energy.

John Kerry? John Kerry is a virtuous person because he has noble Leftist intentions. John Kerry presents himself as a war hero. Why would anybody not want John Kerry to be a war hero? Why would anybody even bother to challenge his status as a war hero – unless they were motivated by malevolent intentions of trying to stop him from becoming president and implementing his noble agenda? Facts? Evidence? Why are they even trying to dig this kind of stuff up in the first place? If nobody challenged Kerry’s status as a hero, then he would be a hero.

To a Leftists, “reality” ought to be what they want it to be. Unfortunately, in our universe, there is this malevolent, tyrannical mystical goblin called “The Man” who stands in the way and says “no!” and reshapes “reality” according to his malicious whims. If you criticize or in any way stand in way of what a Leftist wants – well, you are nothing more than an evil agent of The Man.

Nancy Pelosi says the protesters at the town hall meetings are “Nazis.” I have no doubt that many Leftists, and perhaps even Peolosi herself, sincerely believe that to be true – using the term “Nazi” to mean “a malevolent tyrant.” To a Leftist, the people at the town halls are agents of The Man. By protesting socialized medicine and saying “mean things” about it, the people at the town halls meetings are preventing the Left’s benevolent intentions and visions from becoming “reality” – which in their eyes is profoundly evil and makes the protesters no better than jack booted thugs. What do jack booted thugs do? They impose the will of the dictator upon everybody else. To the Leftist, that is what the protesters at the town halls are doing – imposing the will of The Man by virtue of their naysaying.

The Left genuinely believe that they are the true champions of freedom and that it is they who are fighting tyranny. What you and I call “reality” and accept as a given and an absolute is, to a Leftist, an outrageous and profoundly unjust tyranny.

In a fair and just world, “reality” would immediately and automatically bend itself and conform to the Leftist’s wishes, whims and intrinsically benevolent intentions. THAT is the natural and proper order and the Utopia that the Leftist seeks.

Unfortunately, there exists The Man – and his mean-spirited wishes, whims and malevolent intentions keep canceling out and nullifying the virtuous wishes and intentions of the Leftist. And the power of The Man’s malevolent wishes and intentions is further intensified by those of his minions such as The Rich, Republicans and the protesters at the town halls and all of the various man-made institutions that such people set up to perpetuate the power of The Man.

The protesters at the town halls are little more than Brown Shirts because they are acting on and imposing on “reality” the malevolent intentions of The Man – a tyrant whose vast powers are so pervasive that Adolph Hitler was little more than a petty bureaucrat by comparison. The protesters say that they are trying to prevent tyranny from coming to America. To the Leftist, that is absurd – because, to them, they already live in a tyranny which you and I call the absolutism of reality.

To a Leftist the only way that “liberation” will ever come is if all of the institutions and legions of followers though which “The Man” implements his will are co-opted and, eventually, forcefully destroyed. Only when that happens will we reach a state of nirvana where one’s intentions are immediately and automatically realized. It is such “liberation” which totally consumes the likes the Obamas and Pelosis of the world and which motivates their every action – it is the end by which all means are justified. Of course, they will never achieve it. Even after they assumed absolute power, Hitler and Stalin were both psychological wrecks who were constantly tormented and forever undercut by their own versions of “The Man.” It is, of course, impossible to destroy and wipe out reality – but it is very possible and, unfortunately, not uncommon for Leftists to wipe out an awful lot of people in the process of trying.

The New Clarion
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good explanation, even long, like you say.

I just shorten my own definition of them to "they are NUTS."

Of course, in all of their "benevolence," it isn't their own pocket they reach into for such "intentions," but always others.

To them, us not ponying up what we earn, or the wealthy having more than they have, is just mean and we shouldn't have what we little we do have.

While they keep their's, they take ours to hand out.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of them belong in the Happy Home because they are disconnected from reality.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: