SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pete Hegseth: "President's Visit to Dover"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Pete Hegseth: "President's Visit to Dover" Reply with quote

It's important, I think, to acknowledge an action in the finest tradition of "The Presidency". I was moved by this...and good on President Obama for it (and his pretty darn good "hand salute")...

Quote:
President's Visit to Dover
Pete Hegseth
The Corner
October 29, 2009

I appreciate Kathryn's post on President Obama's visit to Dover Air Force Base to "[meet] with family members and [pay] his respects as the bodies of 18 Americans killed this week in Afghanistan were returned to the United States." It was a classy move that I believe underscores the serious nature with which President Obama is approaching his forthcoming Afghanistan decision.

As much as anyone else, I want the president to make his decision as soon as possible — American lives, and commitment, hang in the balance. But if he has to take a few extra days to get it right — and become convinced of the rightness of General McChrystal's approach — then the extra time is worth it.

Many more flag-draped coffins will be returning home to Dover in the coming months and years. I just hope the president's visit to the tarmac underscores, for him, that if we are going to pay such a heavy price in America's best and bravest, we must only do so in pursuit of battlefield success — with a decisive mission and the necessary manpower.

Anything less would be morally indefensible, both to the souls he saluted in the darkness and the families he consoled in their grief.

The Corner
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pete Hegseth: "President's Visit to Dover" Reply with quote

You're right #1 that was a very pleasant suprise to see. Especially as you noted:
Me#1You#10 wrote:
......(and his pretty darn good "hand salute")...

The man obviously made more of an effort to learn how to execute the salute than I would have previously expected.

The individual with the broken wrist on the President's left should be very Embarassed
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest criticism I am hearing is that he should not have brought along the press corps for a photo op, but everything he does is a photo op, so when he does something right, even that becomes just another photo op. Is he EVER going to stop campaigning and start doing his actual JOB?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Bush met a lot of planes at Dover, but he usually did it very quietly - no press even in attendance, much less asking the families if he could have the event photographed.

There were a few times that it was reported and if you remember, he was accused of "grandstanding."

This is just one very infuriating thing about liberals - when a conservative does anything, it's automatically condemned, but when a liberal does the same damn thing, it's acceptable and even laudable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: