SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in...foods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:25 am    Post subject: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in...foods Reply with quote

Quote:
FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons
By Lyndsey Layton
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 20, 2010; A01

The Food and Drug Administration is planning an unprecedented effort to gradually reduce the salt consumed each day by Americans, saying that less sodium in everything from soup to nuts would prevent thousands of deaths from hypertension and heart disease. The initiative, to be launched this year, would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the amount of salt allowed in food products.

The government intends to work with the food industry and health experts to reduce sodium gradually over a period of years
to adjust the American palate to a less salty diet, according to FDA sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the initiative had not been formally announced.

- cont'd

I can tell you ONE American palate that no longer has any taste (or tolerance) for out-of-control, unelected, totalitarian BUREAUCRATS sticking their ever-growing noses into any and every facet of my life.

This nonsense has GOT to STOP! ENOUGH ! ! !
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High salt concentration does not cause high blood pressure, high blood pressure causes a series of events to happen in your blood stream, one of which results in higher saline content in the blood. Reducing salt just reduces the saline content it does not get rid of hypertension. Salt is the effect not the cause.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in...foods Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Quote:
FDA plans to limit amount of salt allowed in processed foods for health reasons
By Lyndsey Layton
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 20, 2010; A01

The Food and Drug Administration is planning an unprecedented effort to gradually reduce the salt consumed each day by Americans, saying that less sodium in everything from soup to nuts would prevent thousands of deaths from hypertension and heart disease. The initiative, to be launched this year, would eventually lead to the first legal limits on the amount of salt allowed in food products.

The government intends to work with the food industry and health experts to reduce sodium gradually over a period of years
to adjust the American palate to a less salty diet, according to FDA sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the initiative had not been formally announced.

- cont'd

I can tell you ONE American palate that no longer has any taste (or tolerance) for out-of-control, unelected, totalitarian BUREAUCRATS sticking their ever-growing noses into any and every facet of my life.

This nonsense has GOT to STOP! ENOUGH ! ! !

You didn't ask, but I'm giving you one anyway. AMEN!
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one suffering from high blood pressure, I found that drastically reducing my salt intake accomplished nothing. Maybe because I didn't use that much salt anyways. Limiting my sugar intake did help, though.

But, the limiting was my choice, not some anonymous government official sitting behind their desk doing as they please and enjoying the very things they desire us to not to.

We don't need a Nanny State determining what we do, when we do it or how we do it, not if we are to be a free nation. While there is a certain amount of limitation acceptable for the benefit of others, it should be a minimal amount.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have been wondering for some time now, just where did the country we fought for go?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: