SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecticut Senate candidate false claim of Vietnam service
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Connecticut Senate candidate false claim of Vietnam service Reply with quote

Blumenthal served during that era but never left stateside.
He is well ahead in the polls to take Sen Dodd's seat but when the NY Times outs the lie, I think he's toast.

NY Times story
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't condemn anyone who served. If he enlisted during the war period then he expected that there would be a chance of being on the receiving end of enemy fire. The fact that he never got shipped to Vietnam is just the luck of the draw. I can condemn him for spinning yarns about being in country though but at least he was available, unlike many others.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would normally concur with your assessment BJ...save for the following quotes attributed to Blumenthal...

Quote:
“We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008.

Quote:
In 2003, he addressed a rally in Bridgeport, where about 100 military families gathered to express support for American troops overseas. “When we returned, we saw nothing like this,” Mr. Blumenthal said. “Let us do better by this generation of men and women.”

He is a liar, with an ego apparently fully capable of manufacturing, promoting (and, perhaps by now, even believing himself) false military credentials in an attempt to deceive his would-be constituency...no better than the legions of drek that have preceeded him in that odious practice.

Put a fork in him...he's done.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also posted his FIVE DEFERMENTS...the totality of his Vietnam heroics...TOAST.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it should also warrant noting (as I believe was Shawa's intent in posting this in the SVPT forum) that today's extreme umbrage of the NY Times at Blumenthal's both active and passive inflation of his military service record would have been most welcome back in 2004.

I'm also quite curious as to the motivation behind the NY Times' kneecapping of Blumenthal's candidacy. Surely SOMETHING more than the rather lackluster NY Times' track-record on over-inflated military experience is afoot. While I'm ignorant about the CT race, it appears that the Times may well be supporting another candidacy.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking into this a bit further, the only other viable Dem candidate at the moment is Merrick Alpert, a relative unknown who has polled only around 6% of Dem primary voters. It seems unlikely that the Times would be schilling for Alpert...but who knows at this point.

One thing fersure, the CT Dem nomination process has, for all intents and purposes, begun anew. I can't imagine Blumenthal's candidacy surviving this...though it appears he's going to try. Press conference today at 2 P.M.
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Looking into this a bit further, the only other viable Dem candidate at the moment is Merrick Alpert, a relative unknown who has polled only around 6% of Dem primary voters. It seems unlikely that the Times would be schilling for Alpert...but who knows at this point.

One thing fersure, the CT Dem nomination process has, for all intents and purposes, begun anew. I can't imagine Blumenthal's candidacy surviving this...though it appears he's going to try. Press conference today at 2 P.M.

One has to wonder how many absentee votes Blumenthal will garner. It's too late for this new revelation to hurt him there.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you suppose one of the Wall Streeters has finally had enough beatings at the hands of hypocritical Leftists and "dropped a dime" on him?

....just for comparison, "Odds of being struck by lightning in a given year (reported deaths + injuries) -- 1/750,000"......ShaZAM!!!
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from CT & heard blumenthal say things like that a few years ago , when our local American Legion post dedicated a vet monument on our town green. However I had no idea that he did not serve in Viet nam at that time.

My humble opinion is that it will not hurt him that much, there are a lot of freeloaders here in CT. Their only concern is to keep the freebies flowing.

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine his statement will be that he is sorry that there was a ‘misunderstanding’ that he served in Vietnam but he was only stressing that ‘his heart was with’ those who DID serve and came home to such abuse (which I do believe as he has been very active about veteran’s issues).
However, a lie is a lie and certainly diminishes his character. Very sad that he didn’t correct this when it would have only been reported in a local paper, and wouldn’t have gotten much attention. Now the NYT makes it a big issue with a brutal report on his lie as well as how he used every means he could to avoid joining the military.

And yes, I do wonder at their motive in exposing him, Me#1.
“I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.” (Thomas Paine, 1776)
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His opponent who is also a veteran issued this statement:

Merrick Alpert Calls Blumenthal "a coward"and "a liar"

"As a citizen and as a candidate, it's shocking to see someone who has tried to craft this image of themselves as a fighter, as someone who is willing to always step up to tell the truth, to see him lie about serving in Vietnam," Alpert said during a brief phone conversation tonight.

"He was a coward to go and get five deferments and he's clearly a liar for standing up for his own political benefit years later...It's disgraceful behavior from someone who is clearly not qualified to serve in the U.S. Senate."

courant.com
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawa wrote:
Merrick Alpert Calls Blumenthal "a coward"and "a liar"

Quite frankly, given this craven bit of demagoguery, I'd be even less inclined to vote for Alpert.

Is this the best the CT democrat party has to offer?
shawa
CNO

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video at youtube
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of commenters on Michelle Malkin’s blog nailed it down:

“Wonder if Mr. Blumenthal thinks Jane Fonda served in Viet Nam too.”

“Well, Jane did serve on an anti-aircraft crew in the NVA… No doubt about her ’service.’…”
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
“Wonder if Mr. Blumenthal thinks Jane Fonda served in Viet Nam too.”

Just a bit over-the-top Tews. While his prior record-inflation (active and passive) is less than admirable and his subsequent posturing on being called on it sounds disengenuous and self-serving, he did don the uniform after all and parallels to Fonda's conduct are, IMHO, unfair and unwarranted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: