SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecticut Senate candidate false claim of Vietnam service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leeman
PO3

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was ashamed of the VFW's role in the press conference.

The VFW should not be taking sides in politics on a local VFW post.

The press conference should not have been held at their hall, he is not a VFW.

"We are all Ghost now"
"But once we were men"

from an unsigned diary recovered from Cabanatuan Camp
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1, I would agree with you if he hadn't run out a phony soldier at his presser today. That ended any doubt in my mind that he is an honorable man who just "got caught up" in his web of exaggerations. I put him in the same category as John FRAUD Kerry.

(btw, the snide quotes I posted were not mine; they were comments on Michelle Malkin’s blog topic on this subject...sorry for poorly attributing them.)

Quote:
Breaking: Blumenthal’s Soldier Supporter On Stage Today Is a Phony, Too
Posted by Jim Hoft on Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 6:52 PM

Oh my.
Democratic Senatorial Candidate held a presser today after it was discovered that he lied about serving in Vietnam. So Blumenthal went before the press along with some former military men and supporters… Now one of his democratic supporters on stage with him was also found to have lied about his service, too.

Free Republic reported–
Blumenthal’s military buddy on stage is William Joseph Trumpower, aka Elliott Stor, a POW HALL OF SHAME

The POW HALL OF SHAME winner, William Joseph Trumpower, is second from the right.

POW Network.org reported on Trumpower earlier:

WILLIAM JOSEPH TRUMPOWER
aka Elliott Storm
* CLAIMING BRONZE STAR w/VALOR device.
* Claims 2nd Lt, Claims
* Wears 3 Purple Hearts, 2 Bronze Stars w/V.
The jacket in EARLIER pictures boasted 8 ribbons.
This NEW pic has more and includes V device on Bronze Star and 2nd Lt bars..
* Claims he worked with Ollie North.

The New Haven Independent reported that Blumenthal called supporter Storm who helped him out today.

Elliott Storm is a Blumenthal supporter. The campaign called him and asked him to show up; he called up his friends in the “Vet Pack” to join him, friends who, like him, travel around the country talking about ex-soldiers who contend with post traumatic stress syndrome.

Why is this not surprising?

Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEWSPilot wrote:
I put him in the same category as John FRAUD Kerry.

Inre the misrepresentation of his service record, I do as well...and this new revelation of an endorsement by yet another alleged record embellisher does throw more fuel on the fire.

However, I'm not sure one can rightly hold Blumenthal's feet to that fire for what is alleged to be wrongdoing on the part of a purported VFW representative. It seems to me that, in equity, it is the local VFW that should be taking some heat over their possible failure to properly vet Trumpower's military CV.

Quote:
(btw, the snide quotes I posted were not mine; they were comments on Michelle Malkin’s blog topic on this subject...sorry for poorly attributing them.)

Your attribution was fine Tews. I simply disagreed with the comparative.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuffaloJack wrote:
I can't condemn anyone who served. If he enlisted during the war period then he expected that there would be a chance of being on the receiving end of enemy fire. The fact that he never got shipped to Vietnam is just the luck of the draw. I can condemn him for spinning yarns about being in country though but at least he was available, unlike many others.

I was wrong. He's a S C U M B A G. He pals around with another stolen valor buddy and the only reason he was in at all was because his 5 deferrment requests didn't keep him out.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VFW post is taking a spanking from the State HQ over hosting such a disgusting political stunt. I hope they learned their lesson.

The only thing missing when Blumenthal closed the presser was: “I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: "Don't do it again, Dick." Reply with quote

The damage control party has been quick to getting it in gear. The thought of losing Dodd's seat trumps any pretense of personal honor among the Demo apparatchiks....

Quote:
"Don't do it again, Dick."

Richard Blumenthal will survive
The Plumb Line
by Greg Sargent
Washington Post
May 18, 2010

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal just wrapped up his damage control presser, and it seems obvious enough that he'll survive this mess.

<snip>

Whatever the truth, he insisted with a great deal of conviction that his lapses weren't intentional. And the evidence so far suggests that in other settings, he didn't intend to mislead. Perhaps most important, no Dems are cutting and running right now. They seem to have closed ranks behind him.

Botttom line: It seems clear he'll survive. But man, what a colossal train wreck. Don't do it again, Dick.

Washington Post
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any veteran now remain a member of so corrupt a party as today's Democratic Party? They need to take back the party or put it out of its misery at the next election...and Blumenthal still hasn't won anything yet. November will tell a lot about the character of the voters of Connecticut. Unfortunately, running a World Wrestling Entertainment "impresario" (as Ann Coulter puts it) against him says a lot about the hapless GOP.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misspoke? Blumenthal Nov. 9, 2008: "I wore the uniform in Vietnam"...
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite Blumenthal's arrogant statement at his press conference that he will not "allow" anyone to impugn his service to our country, I will continue to do so.

His statement that he was taking "full responsibility" for a few mistatements is hollow. It was nothing more than a public relations stunt to garner votes from any who might be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.

Had he said that he knowingly lied, that it was an insult to combat veterans (and in fact all veterans), and then made a sincere apology, I might feel differently.

If this post is "beating a dead horse" that's OK because it made me feel better.

Nalt
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nalt, not only should we keep "beating this dead horse", we need to ride it in every veterans parade from now until Blumenthal is "put out to pasture" (politically speaking). Benedict Arnold was an actual combat wounded, decorated veteran, but look how his career ended. Like you said, had he been honest and admitted he lied and is now ashamed and asked for forgiveness, he would have shown some character. His attempt to cover it up and deflect the criticism to those who exposed him and to say he told the truth more times than he lied tells more about his untrustworthiness than the original lie. In any case, he is unfit for any public office and should resign immediately and slither off into obscurity.
Jerald L. Parsoneault
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parphrasing, Abraham Lincoln when he was a member of Congress speaking before the House of Representatives, he said to the Speaker. . . . . his own experience as a militia captain in the Black Hawk War of 1832 was limited to charging wild onions and a good many struggles with mousquitoes.

Compare that to Blumenthal's speeches!

By the way, the above incident is part of the introduction to "Tried By War" by James McPherson -- a worthwhile read.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everybody is giving Blumenthal a pass,

The Taranto Principle Vindicated Again

Quote:
By R. Emmett Tyrrell · Thursday, May 20, 2010

WASHINGTON -- The exposure of Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal as a hoaxster boasting of a nonexistent record of service in the Vietnam War is a splendid example of what is known as the Taranto Principle. Someday the Taranto Principle will be taught in all the journalism schools, assuming one or two survive the present detumescence of journalism. Formulated by the inimitable Wall Street Journal editorialist James Taranto, the principle posits that when the liberal mainstream press indulges a liberal politician's deceits or fails to hold the politician accountable for his misbehavior, it encourages the politician to ascend to a higher level of misbehavior.

More at the link.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Someday the Taranto Principle will be taught in all the journalism schools, assuming one or two survive the present detumescence of journalism.

Merely the mention of "Taranto" makes this magnetic. Toss in an introduction to and use of the word "detumescence" makes this mandatory reading Wink

Thanks for the tip Lew.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A corollary to the great Taranto's principle would seem to be that as the press sees that it gets away with ever more outrageous partisanship, it feels itself more capable of ever larger obfuscations and red herrings - and outright lies.

Thus we reasonable people who still live on planet earth are watching while many are misled and spiralled along into an almost psychedelic land of Oz, where the blatant bias and the attempts to draw curtains around the truth reach new heights on a daily basis.

The spiral must end somewhere, thanks be to God. Goodness and truth always win over evil and lies.

It's just a crying shame that the detumescence looks like such a slowwwww process from here. I'd much prefer to see it happening as fast as a balloon with its knot untied. Wink
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
A corollary to the great Taranto's principle would seem to be that as the press sees that it gets away with ever more outrageous partisanship, it feels itself more capable of ever larger obfuscations and red herrings - and outright lies.

Thus we reasonable people who still live on planet earth are watching while many are misled and spiralled along into an almost psychedelic land of Oz, where the blatant bias and the attempts to draw curtains around the truth reach new heights on a daily basis.

The spiral must end somewhere, thanks be to God. Goodness and truth always win over evil and lies.

It's just a crying shame that the detumescence looks like such a slowwwww process from here. I'd much prefer to see it happening as fast as a balloon with its knot untied. Wink

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: