SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charge dismissed in fake hero's case

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Charge dismissed in fake hero's case Reply with quote

From the Denver Post

Quote:
Charge dismissed in fake hero's case, Valor Act ruled unconstitutional

By Felisa Cardona
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/16/2010 11:20:52 AM MDT

A federal judge in Denver has ruled the Stolen Valor Act is "facially unconstitutional" because it violates free speech and dismissed the criminal case against Rick Strandlof, a man who lied about being an Iraq war veteran.

U.S. District Judge Robert Blackburn issued his decision this morning.

"The Stolen Valor Act is declared to be facially unconstitutional as a content-based restriction on speech that does not serve a compelling government interest, and consequently that the Act is invalid as violative of the First Amendment," Blackburn wrote in his opinion.

I would imagine John 'F'in Kerry is in full agreement with this decision. Evil or Very Mad Mad
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Charge dismissed in fake hero's case, Reply with quote

Quote:
U.S. District Judge Robert Blackburn issued his decision this morning.

A President Bush appointee in 2001. Go figger. Embarassed
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides all the obvious reasons why the act was signed into law, is there "no compelling government interest" in preventing stealing veteran's benefits and services and preventing a fraud from falsely receiving preferential hiring consideration where military service is a factor? As with most court decisions these days, this one is absurd.
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had to start somewhere - what with the various politicians falsely claiming service or expanding on what they really did.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, in that case, I'll pretend I'm a Supreme Court Justice and then I'll start ruling that........
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I can start telling people that I'm a Rear Admiral now.
That took long enough, I was getting worried that I topped out at E4. Rolling Eyes
Schadow
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ninth Circuit predictably has ruled similarly in a case of a guy claiming a MoH:

From the SF Chronicle

(08-17) 18:48 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- A federal law making it a crime to lie about receiving the Medal of Honor or other military decorations violates freedom of speech, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.

Although a Southern California water board member convicted of violating the Stolen Valor Act made "deliberate and despicable" claims that he had received the Medal of Honor, the Constitution prohibits the government from prosecuting someone for merely lying, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said in a 2-1 ruling.

"The right to speak and write whatever one chooses - including, to some degree, worthless, offensive and demonstrable untruths - without cowering in fear of a powerful government is, in our view, an essential component of the protection afforded by the First Amendment," Judge Milan Smith said in the majority opinion.

If lying about a medal can be classified as a crime, Smith said, so can lying about one's age, misrepresenting one's financial status on Facebook, or telling one's mother falsehoods about drinking, smoking or sex.

Dissenting Judge Jay Bybee said the Constitution does not protect knowingly false speech. He said the lies told by Xavier Alvarez "dishonor ... every service member who has been decorated in any way, and every American now serving."

Schadow
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....ummmm, try lying under oath in a court of law and see what happens. Do these "judges" even know how to read laws, let alone rule on them?
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm,

Title 5, USC 1001 - (I think) making a false statement to investigator.

Local ordinances where giving a false name is obstruction.

Yelling fire in a crowded theater.

And since the MOH does contain benefits, wouldn't that be a false claim for those benefits?

Frankly, considering this is the 9th circuit, I think this one might go a tad farther up the line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: