SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"VFW Shuts Off Campaign Arm"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoophyDog
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: "VFW Shuts Off Campaign Arm" Reply with quote

VFW Shuts Off Campaign Arm

The political arm of the Veterans of Foreign Wars has largely shut down operations amid a member backlash after it endorsed a slew of Democratic incumbents, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, California Sen. Barbara Boxer and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

full article:
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/10/18/vfw-shuts-off-campaign-arm/

My opinion: Until now, I didn't know they had endorsed "The war is lost" Reid. The name to remember in all this is Tyrone Benson, the now ex-head of the PAC who stood by the endorsements. How anyone who was breathing in the past 5 years could actually believe these three supported the armed forces is beyond me.

Admin note: Goophy, I think this warrants its own topic and have split it from the earlier thread. Thanks/me#1

Last edited by GoophyDog on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DADESID
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW...

http://tinyurl.com/3agethw
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had begun to think that VFW-National might have elected to table the problem to next year's convention. So much for that misconception.

The mainstream media has generally avoided documenting this VFW-PAC fiasco perhaps hoping it would just go away. It will be interesting to note whether they will be able to withstand documenting this near thermo-nuclear escalation of the issue.

Congrats to VFW-National leadership on doing what had to be done...

Quote:
VFW NATIONAL COMMANDER MOVES FOR DISSOLUTION OF POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE
EROSION OF PUBLIC SUPPORT FOR THIS ORGANIZATION CAN'T CONTINUE
October 18, 2010

I have reviewed the Political Action Committee (PAC) Board of Directors’ response to our request to rescind this year’s Congressional endorsements. I disagree with their assessment.

It is now evident to most of the VFW leadership, both National and especially the departments, that the VFW has been subjected to extreme negative publicity throughout the nation, and the recent endorsement decisions have, in fact, harmed the VFW’s reputation and future ability to fulfill our mission.

I cannot let this erosion of public support for our great organization continue. The apparent lack of the committee to address these concerns will lead to a proposal by me, as Commander-in-Chief, to amend the by-laws at the 112th National Convention for the purpose of dissolving the PAC.

Meanwhile, under the authority granted to me as Commander-in-Chief in section 619 of the VFW National By-Laws and under section 620 of the Manual of Procedure, I am withdrawing all PAC appointments effective October 15, 2010.

Accordingly, I’m asking the VFW national council for a vote of “no confidence” in the VFW PAC.

Commander-in-Chief
Richard L. Eubank

Veterans of Foreign Wars

Update: As of this writing, not a single mention in MSM reportage save for the Wall Street Journal.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the mainstream media won't run with it, we need to run it to them everywhere we can.

I have been posting links to the VFW's announcement and the WSJ article on news comments sections where I am registered.

It might not be a headline, but people will read it.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no other media runs with the story, the Washington Times has.

VFW’s election betrayal
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
If no other media runs with the story, the Washington Times has.

Perhaps more perplexing than the VFW-PAC endorsements themselves is the abysmal coverage of VFW National's strong (albeit tardy) response. Where one might normally expect at least some followup coverage (eg "Hot Air" which had covered the initial brouhaha)...nothing.

I just don't get it...and it concerns me greatly that the voices of conservatism have been so muted as to this issue. Counting their chickens before they're hatched perhaps?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HotAir has it up HERE

But, you are right, it isn't making the news it should this close to elections.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
HotAir has it up HERE

Ah yes. I do recall seeing that but it slipped my mind. Nonetheless, what should be a news search return several pages long is paltry...and an opportunity to poke with a big stick and further motivate veteran turnout has been, IMHO, squandered. It might have made a difference in California, Washington state and several other contests. Ah well.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might have helped here in Washington State, but there are other problems, including less than enthusiastic candidates. Still, it isn't over here.

Searching around, I found the New York Times has made minimal mention of it, buried in the paper, if not only available online. Even online, if you don't scroll through the column you will miss it.

Quote:
Tension at the V.F.W.: The commander-in-chief of the Veterans of Foreign Wars is taking steps toward possibly dissolving the group’s political action committee after it refused to rescind its candidate endorsements, Politico’s Meredith Shiner reports. The committee’s endorsement of some Democratic incumbents, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi, had angered some of the organization’s members.

I saw nothing on Fox, where I would expect it to be covered really well, nothing on Michelle Malkin or Drudge.

FreeRepublic does have several posts concerning it.

Of course, if the lamestream media ran with it, it blows the often made claim of Veterans support of these Democrats right out of the water.

I've posted it on the blog site of the radio program I've been helping out in Portland, Oregon, Victoria Taft and since I have a regular scheduled call in every Wednesday afternoon, will try to get mention of it on air tomorrow.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that Carly Fiorina is making note...

Quote:
Iraq War Veteran Paul Chabot Applauds VFW’s Move to Dissolve VFW-PAC
October 18, 2010

SACRAMENTO, CA - Veterans for Carly Statewide Chair and Iraq War veteran Lt. Commander Paul Chabot today issued the following statement in response to the news that Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) National Commander Richard Eubank has moved to dissolve the organization’s political action committee, following an outcry from its members about the PAC’s decision to endorse Barbara Boxer and several other incumbents with questionable records on issues important to veterans:

“I applaud Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) National Commander Richard Eubank’s move to dissolve the organization’s political action committee, which has done VFW members a grave disservice by endorsing incumbents like Barbara Boxer who have a dismal record of failing to stand with our military and our veterans.

“The VFW-PAC’s decision to endorse Boxer gave Californians the impression that she has consistently stood with our armed forces, when in fact she has actually voted against funding for our troops, military families, Veterans Administration health system support and mine-resistant vehicles, while at the same time touting her friendship with anti-military activists like Jane Fonda and MoveOn.org. Clearly, the process by which this endorsement was made was faulty, and the VFW-PAC’s refusal to rescind it shows how far the organization has strayed from its original mission of ‘support[ ing ] candidates who share [ its ] views about key veterans’ military and defense issues.’

“If California’s veterans want a friend in the U.S. Senate who will stand with us when it matters most, then I urge them to join me in voting for Carly Fiorina, who will be an unwavering supporter of our men and women in uniform as a member of the U.S. Senate.”

CarlyForCA
zinfella
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me#1You#10 wrote:
Good to see that Carly Fiorina is making note...

Quote:
Iraq War Veteran Paul Chabot Applauds VFW’s Move to Dissolve VFW-PAC
October 18, 2010

SACRAMENTO, CA - Veterans for Carly Statewide Chair and Iraq War veteran Lt. Commander Paul Chabot today issued the following statement in response to the news that Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) National Commander Richard Eubank has moved to dissolve the organization’s political action committee, following an outcry from its members about the PAC’s decision to endorse Barbara Boxer and several other incumbents with questionable records on issues important to veterans:

“I applaud Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) National Commander Richard Eubank’s move to dissolve the organization’s political action committee, which has done VFW members a grave disservice by endorsing incumbents like Barbara Boxer who have a dismal record of failing to stand with our military and our veterans.

“The VFW-PAC’s decision to endorse Boxer gave Californians the impression that she has consistently stood with our armed forces, when in fact she has actually voted against funding for our troops, military families, Veterans Administration health system support and mine-resistant vehicles, while at the same time touting her friendship with anti-military activists like Jane Fonda and MoveOn.org. Clearly, the process by which this endorsement was made was faulty, and the VFW-PAC’s refusal to rescind it shows how far the organization has strayed from its original mission of ‘support[ ing ] candidates who share [ its ] views about key veterans’ military and defense issues.’

“If California’s veterans want a friend in the U.S. Senate who will stand with us when it matters most, then I urge them to join me in voting for Carly Fiorina, who will be an unwavering supporter of our men and women in uniform as a member of the U.S. Senate.”

CarlyForCA

Sadly, I heard yesterday that Fiorina was trailing Boxer in the polls.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zinfella wrote:
Sadly, I heard yesterday that Fiorina was trailing Boxer in the polls.

That she is, but Fiorina was down by as many as 9 points to Boxer in some late September polling. Now, according to RCP, the margin is 1 point. I, for one, like the trend.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty Murray and Joe Biden were here in town yesterday and Murray's "I Love the Veterans and the Veterans Love Me" ad played shortly before I did my weekly spot on Victoria Taft's program today.

As I had hoped, we discussed how Veterans banded together in outrage towards the VFW over these endorsements, that included not only Patty 'Osama Mama' Murray, but 'Baghdad' Jim McDermott in Washington state.

The media might continue to ignore the story, but the listening audience now knows that Veterans were outraged over these endorsements and forced the VFW's hand in dissolving the VFW-PAC.
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone alerted The Drudge Report to this item??

Once the news is linked to on the Drudge Report, knowledge of it will be widespread indeed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: