SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Entertaining Vietnam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Entertaining Vietnam Reply with quote

Most of us served in Vietnam and saw it from our own perspectives. At one time or another we were also treated to some entertainment in the form of Go-Go Dancers, singers and musicians.

While the best known was the Bob Hope Shows, few were ever actually able to attend one. Most of us who saw such shows were treated to Filipino bands or occasionally Australian or American singers.

Not until today did I know that many were not under the USO, but were hired to play at various Military Clubs, largely left to their own for security and protection, except of course when at a Base camp performing.

Some were even killed while there.

A 53 minute documentary has been produced from their perspective by one of the performers, Mara Wallis who spent two years in country, traveling and entertaining the Troops.

Her documentary features much footage from the era taken by her friends and interviews with some from later today. Previously only available on DVD, it is now available in full length online.

Entertaining Vietnam

I hope everyone enjoys viewing it as much as I did.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Entertaining Vietnam Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
I hope everyone enjoys viewing it as much as I did.

Like a time machine trip Lew (albeit with several disturbing revelations). Thanks.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early months of 1970, Georgie Jessel and several playboy bunnies came to our tiny swift boat base in Qui Nhon and put on a show for us. I never got to see Bob Hope or some of the bigger talent celebrities, but I can never forget that small group of entertainers who put on a show for less than 2 dozen guys.
TEWSPilot
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite entertainment episodes was a traveling softball act called

Eddie "The King" Feigner and his Court

Eddie Feigner would pitch softballs (underhanded, of course) from second base, and it was almost impossible to hit the ball. Did you ever see a curve break TEN FEET? They would play a team from the base they were visiting. I think I may have hit one ball out of four at bats, and our team won the base championship, so we were not pushovers. All of their players could hit a softball over the centerfield light stand...and they launched a lot of "gopher" balls (hey, somebody "go for" that ball, I think it landed in the chow hall parking lot) throughout the game.

He had three other players on the field, catcher, first baseman, and an outfielder...didn't need much more than the catcher, though. Check out the website at the link above. Search on "eddie feigner king and his court" for more about him and his act, and there are videos of them in action. Truly amazing, and very patriotic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: