SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

’16...Cadets...Wear Class Rings Containing WTC Steel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: ’16...Cadets...Wear Class Rings Containing WTC Steel Reply with quote

Seth Lipsky shares some thoughts on an always inspirational West Point tradition. I thought you might enjoy this poignant read...

Quote:
’16 West Point Cadets Will Wear Class Rings Containing WTC Steel

When graduates of West Point’s Class of 2016 go into their years of service as officers of the Army, they will be wearing something no other cadets have worn before — class rings that include steel from the World Trade Center.

New York Sun - cont'd
Harvuskong
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did they get the steel and gold to mix together?

Melting point of gold is 1946 F.

Melting point of steel, high, med and low carbon runs from 2500 to 2700 F. depending on carbon content.

I suppose that they blended in steel shavings or ground to powder steel into the melt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: