SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emailing the Media - Some Helpful Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jette
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Emailing the Media - Some Helpful Tips Reply with quote

Now that "Unfit for Command" has been released, the Dem Spinmeisters and some of the mainstream media are talking. Many of us have seen a fair discussion, but in other cases the Dem/Kerry talking points come flying out and little time is left for discussion.

If you want to have a positive impact on the SBVT story, then take a few minutes to write to the person or persons with whom you disagree (or agree). In order to communicate effectively, the letters you send must contain some very specific information, and not contain a string of obscenities (yeah, I know, I feel like letting 'em have a few myself sometimes).

Here are some successful tips to get your message through:

1. Subject line of Email: short and specific (i.e, Your appearance on X Program)
2. Make notes, if you can, when a detractor is talking. Get two or three points he or she is making, then use facts, not emotion, to refute them.
3. Keep your emails relatively short. Most of these people have little time to read lengthy emails, and most certainly will not read letters that are filled with anger, insults and accusations. Be persuasive, passionate and precise.
4. As much as you want to respond instantly to a Lanny Davis slam or a Chris Matthews sputter, take a few minutes after the program to gather your thoughts. The anger and frustration you have will translate into a screeching paragraph that only feeds into their already over-inflated egos. They'll hit the delete button in no time flat. Write calmly and wisely.
5. Write to people with whom you agree, not just those you disagree with. Encourage those who appear neutral to take a second look, and compliment those who have given the Swifties a chance to get their story out. Write to your local newspaper's opinion page. By now your local radio stations will be talking about John O'Neill; suggest that they get him on air, even if it's just for a few minutes. Be cordial, be convincing and be confident.
6. There are excerpts from the book available, as well as many other resources on the Internet. When writing, cite resources, don't just grab facts out of thin air.
7. Take time to correct on air errors ("Today I heard X say that 'none of these men served with Kerry. This is untrue, and here is why...") Back statements up with facts, and let these on-air pundits know you're watching.
8. Be firm and be fair. Be respectful and be resourceful. You'll be surprised how many emails you'll get back. These people are thrilled to know someone is actually listening to them. We just have to gently get them onto the right path. As we all know, a nudge is better than a shove.

Happy writing. Please PM me if you need further help.

Jette
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so right on! Thank you!

Factual and rational and pithy.

I've been tempted to rant and rave, myself, but I know that will only result in getting anything from my email address being sent to the bit-bucket in the future.

I'd definitely recommend that anyone who wants to be heard read and follow your guidelines.

Thanks for taking the time to write it all out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: