SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry did TWO tours in Vietnam? When was the second one?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Kerry did TWO tours in Vietnam? When was the second one? Reply with quote

Fair disclosure: I was in the USMC from 69 to 72, however I never spent as much as a minute in combat. Lucky me. The criticism here is regarding the statements made by Kerry which -- in my opinion -- do a disservice to those who WERE on the pointy end of the stick.

This snip is from the 10 July 2004 press release titled "Kerry-Edwards Campaign Releases First Ad Featuring John Edwards Stumping For John Kerry" on the johnkerry.com website (http://www.johnkerry.com/pressroom/releases/pr_2004_0710a.html):

Quote:
John Kerry Served in the U.S. Navy and is a Combat Veteran of the Vietnam War: John Kerry first learned the importance of national service from his father who volunteered for the Army Air Corps in World War II. Kerry volunteered for the United States Navy after college and served from 1966 through 1970 rising to the rank of Lieutenant, Junior Grade. Afterwards, Kerry continued his military service in the United States Naval Reserves through 1978. Kerry served two tours of duty in Vietnam--one tour as commander of a Navy Swift Boat in the Mekong Delta. Kerry’s action during the Vietnam War resulted in his being awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star with Combat “V”, three Purple Hearts, the Presidential Unit Citation for Extraordinary Heroism, the National Defense Service Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal, three Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medals and the Combat Action Ribbon. [Selective Service System National Headquarters]

My question is: "What TWO tours?" I see he did 4 months of one tour and then opted out. When did he go back the second time, and what was he doing if he wasn't commanding a Swift Boat? Only the tour where he commmanded the Swift is mentioned, the description of his duties of the other is omitted.

Even Kerry's book is titled "Tour of Duty", not "Tours of Duty", which I'm sure he would have used, if there was any basis for it.

The only possible rationalization I can find is that he was in-country for TWO campaigns (he hit a seam):

Vietnamese Counteroffensive (2 November 1968- 22 February 1969) Phase VI
Tet 69/Counteroffensive (23 February-8 June 1969)

When I was a young Marine, "a tour" was a year -- built to govenment specifications -- that meant 13 months. When I was in the Army, you needed six months in a combat zone to get a hash mark, which was generally referred to as a "tour".

However, my damage with the statement is the implication Kerry spent MUCH more time in Vietnam than he actually served. While it may be a moot point, it is disingenuous, and to my mind, reinforces the point that Kerry was about building his fruit salad for later consumption. Or throwing away, only to renege on even that act.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we've kicked that around here quite a bit - Kerry did a part of one WESTPAC and claims it as "a tour in Vietnam."

Personally, I've never heard a sailor refer to their WESTPAC's in support of operations in Vietnam as being "tours in Vietnam," and believe, like you probably do, that this poser is trying to plant the impression that he did two years slogging through the mud and beating through the jungle.

Not the 4 months and 12 days that he actually spent with Swifts and the short periods that his Gridley tour spent in support of the 7th Fleet.

Welcome aboard, Marine - good to have you with us!
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, ma'am. Appreciate it.

I *tried* to search the site before posting to see if this was already "kicked around", you would not believe how many hits there are on "two tours" (well, you might at that).

Gee whiz, golly, wow. Does my 13 months in WestPac repairing shot up electronics on Okinawa mean I can claim I did a "tour"?

Thanks, no. I'll pass. I've got too much respect for the guys and gals that DID combat tours to even consider it.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, cause I just did a search for "two tours!" Overwhelming amount to wade through.

I hope I didn't sound like I was denigrating the efforts of anyone - I've explained my point of view and hate to expound on it again, but I don't want to leave anyone with the idea that I don't appreciate what our people on the ships or Okinawa or Barber's Point did.

EVERYONE was needed, from the rearest REMF to the boots on the ground.

I respect everyone who did their job over there - the work was sometimes grueling, the hours inhuman, not enough parts, broken equipment, inadequate supplies... it was a hell of a struggle.

By turning his WESTPAC into a "tour in Vietnam," in my opinion Kerry denigrates those who pulled their three WESTPAC's in ships tour by trying to make his work something that it wasn't. He's disgusting. Stolen Valor doesn't apply to anyone else any better than it applies to Kerry.

Even the unofficial USS Gridley site takes issue with Kerry's comments, and rightfuly so - a couple of them take some of his Tour of Duty paragraphs apart. Wink
Hueygunner
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: U.S. military runs on more than its stomach. Reply with quote

As a crewchief/doorgunner on an Army UH-1D helicopter, I found it very hard to keep my "Huey" running. I even cannibalized other ships that were down for repairs. I know I was wrong. I carefully left a trail of broken wires to let the other crewchiefs know that a part was missing. One night, I was caught by the Colonel. I was supposed to be pulling guard duty on the flightline. He didn't know I was "ripping off" parts from another helicopter; he thought I was pulling maintenance on my own ship. I was caught red-handed. The next day, the company commander both chided me and praised me: first he scolded me for neglecting my post as a guard then he commended me for pulling repairs at night when everyone else was asleep. Luckily, I came out of it smelling like roses.

Later, David Quick took over the parts department. He worked day and night getting the place in shape and stocked. Often, I would catch him working late at night, after everyone else had gone up to the hootches or EM club. Soon, my scavaging days ( I should say nights) were over. I could walk in and get a part quickly and easily.

It's guys like David Quick who make me proud to say I'm a Vietnam Veteran; I'm glad to say I was once one of them. John Kerry -- nah-h-h!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: