SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Medical record info / other links
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Kerry Medical record info / other links Reply with quote

Medical Record from Kerry's site -- his personal physician

originally from from Google's cache of http://www.johnkerry.com/about/medical.html

edited>> record now found here
thanks for link Herb
http://www.johnkerry.com/about/john_kerry/medical.html

GERALD J. DOYLE, M.D., P.C.
THREE HAWTHORNE PLACE, SUITE 106
CHARLES RIVER PARK
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02114

----

23 April 2004

To Whom It May Concern:

Re: John Kerry's Military Medical File

My name is Gerald J. Doyle and I am a physician licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I have served as the Senator's medical physician since 1986. I am on the staff at Massachusetts General Hospital where I have practiced medicine since 1973 after completing my medical training in internal medicine and cardiology. On March 29, 2004, I released a general letter regarding the Senator's health during the last 18 years that I have served as his internist. John Kerry has enjoyed excellent overall health though out his life. I have reviewed his military medical record, I am providing a summary of all medical activity during the time he was in the Navy.

18 February 1966. Mr. Kerry underwent a complete physical examination at the US Navy recruiting station in New York City and was found to be healthy and fit for duty. The routine studies of serology, x-ray, and a urinalysis were negative.

28 September 1966. Mr. Kerry was diagnosed with right upper lobe pneumonia and was treated at the US naval station, Newport, Rhode Island and was referred for admission to the USNH, Newport, Rhode Island. A chest x-ray was done that confirmed his pneumonia. He was successfully treated with tetracycline antibiotics and was discharged to full duty 14 October 1966.

In January 1967, Mr. Kerry developed the chest skin rash that was diagnosed and treated with topical steroids with complete resolution. In addition, his medical record confirmed the fact that he was treated for the left lower lobe pneumococcal pneumonia in April 1967, confirmed by x-ray and culture and associated with a low grade fever. He was hospitalized at San Diego Naval Hospital, experienced an uncomplicated recovery and was discharged fit for duty following treatment. He underwent a routine physical examination at the Naval amphibious base at Coronado California, 28 August 1968 and was found physically qualified and fit for duty. His routine studies included a normal chest x-ray, urinalysis, a non-reactive VDRL, a normal EKG and a normal dental examination.

“3 December 1968, U.S. Naval Support Facility Cam Rahn Bay RVN FPO. Shrapnel in left arm above elbow. Shrapnel removed and appl bacitracin dressing. Ret To Duty.”

Mr. Kerry sustained a shrapnel injury in his left arm above his elbow. He was treated at the Cam Ranh Bay US naval support facility where the shrapnel was removed and the wound was treated with a topical Bacitracin antibiotic dressing. He was returned to duty following his treatment.

20 February 1969, “Wounded by piece of B-40 shrapnel today while on operation, in portion of left thigh.”

Mr. Kerry sustained an injury when he was wounded by a piece of B- 40 shrapnel while on operation. He was noted to have a wound of entry on the back of his left thigh and the wound was debrided and treated with the application of a topical dressing. An x-ray confirmed the shrapnel location but a decision was made to leave the shrapnel in place, as successful removal would have necessitated an extensive wider exposure and block excision of the wound. The course of conservative treatment was successful and a wound infection did not develop. The wound was ultimately closed with sutures following debridement of necrotic tissue.

13 March 1969, 1900 hours, United States Coast Guard Cutter Spencer. “John Kerry, LTJG, USNR- In firefight approx 3 hours ago, pt was a) thrown against bulkhead sustaining injury (contusion) to R forearm. b) sustained small piece of shrapnel in L upper buttock.”

Mr. Kerry was treated for injuries sustained when he was thrown against a bulkhead resulting in a contusion to his right forearm, as well as a shrapnel injury in his left upper buttock. His exam at that time revealed localized bruising of his right medial forearm and of his buttock from the shrapnel with some localized bruising. An x-ray of his forearm did not reveal evidence of fracture. He was treated with a tetanus shot, topical dressing and an ace bandage and advised to apply warm soaks to his right forearm.

During his service in the military, he experienced an episode of an upper respiratory infection and bronchitis, as well as a minor non-specific urinary tract infection and both responded to tetracycline successfully. John Kerry was also treated for the flu on 13 April 67 and made a complete recovery. His medical record shows relatively few entries requiring treatment during his service in the military other than for his combat injuries, and pneumonia.

On 11 December 1969, John Kerry was examined and found physically qualified for release from active duty and able to perform all the duties of his rank at sea and/or on foreign service. As part of his complete exam, a chest x-ray was done that was normal and routine blood tests including a VDRL test for serology was negative. Mr. Kerry was released from active duty on 2 January 1970 and his military medical health record was closed at that time.

The review of Senator John Kerry's medical record confirms his overall excellent health during his time in the military service. His generally robust health has continued during the last 18 years to the present time.

Sincerely,

SIGNED

Gerald J. Doyle, M.D.

Last edited by kate on Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:39 am; edited 3 times in total
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in case other stuff disappears from his site

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1121318/posts
post#18 links to some kerry records placed off-site

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/lit/election2004/docs.html
some kerry military records here, in case they ever come off his site
the zumwalt silver star version is here ( version #1, of 3 versions)

Last edited by kate on Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:58 am; edited 2 times in total
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate wrote:
in case other stuff disappears from his site

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1121318/posts
post#18 links to some kerry records placed off-site

http://news.findlaw.com/legalnews/lit/election2004/docs.html
some kerry military records here, in case they ever come off his site
the zumwalt silver star version is here

Well we have another version of what happened. Kerry is now leading someone to sweep the area while the PCF is providing cover. I don't think the boat was able to operate the guns by itself. Considering that his crew got medals, they must have accompanied him leaving the RF/PF forces to operate the guns. Or did Kerry lead the Vietnamese to sweep the area.

We really need to see the report that the silver star was based on.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry Medical record info / other links Reply with quote

kate wrote:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1179512/posts
post#17 copy of record removed from kerry site

From Google's cache of http://www.johnkerry.com/about/medical.html [ now gone]

They changed the URL: http://www.johnkerry.com/about/john_kerry/medical.html

Maybe it's not so nefarious or a trap if we tell the press he REMOVED them:
igor
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kerry Medical record info / other links Reply with quote

What is a contusion?

from http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/contusion
Quote:
- the action of bruising; "the bruise resulted from a contusion"
- an injury that doesn't break the skin but results in some discoloration

from http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Contusion
Quote:
CONTUSION, med. jurisp. An injury or lesion, arising from the shock of a body with a large surface, which presents no loss of substance, and no apparent wound. If the skin be divided, the injury takes the name of a contused wound. Vide 1 Ch. Pr, 38; 4 Carr. & P. 381, 487, 558, 565; 6 Carr. & P. 684; 2 Beck's Med. Jur. 178.

... which means a contusion is a bruise were there is no bleeding.

From http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/Spot_Kerry.pdf on page 2 of the Spot Report.
Quote:
"LTJG Kerry suffered ... contusions on his right forearm"

Also from the summary document by Kerry's doctor ...
kate wrote:

13 March 1969, 1900 hours, United States Coast Guard Cutter Spencer. “John Kerry, LTJG, USNR- In firefight approx 3 hours ago, pt was a) thrown against bulkhead sustaining injury (contusion) to R forearm. b) sustained small piece of shrapnel in L upper buttock.”

Mr. Kerry was treated for injuries sustained when he was thrown against a bulkhead resulting in a contusion to his right forearm, as well as a shrapnel injury in his left upper buttock. His exam at that time revealed localized bruising of his right medial forearm and of his buttock from the shrapnel with some localized bruising. An x-ray of his forearm did not reveal evidence of fracture. He was treated with a tetanus shot, topical dressing and an ace bandage and advised to apply warm soaks to his right forearm.

Note: Ignore the wound to the buttock, because it happened earlier in the day when there was no hostile fire.

Since this is a summary document, Kerry's medical records support that there was no bleeding in his forearm. Because Kerry only had a bruise, where there was no bleeding, he falsely obtained the 3rd Purple Heart.

Now we have the official Navy's Spot Report for this incident shows that Kerry does not deserve the 3rd Purple Heart. Also the medical summary by Kerry's doctor, also supports that Kerry does not deserve the 3rd Purple Heart.

[Edit 1 and 2: the summary by Kerry's doctor was reposted on the site].

Last edited by igor on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:23 am; edited 2 times in total
I B Squidly
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"as well as a minor non-specific urinary tract infection and ... responded to tetracycline successfully"

Getting the clap explains the character ding on his FITREP.

"Tetracycline...the Breakfast of Butterflies"

Last edited by I B Squidly on Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Kerry Medical record info / other links Reply with quote

igor wrote:
What is a contusion?http://www.johnkerry.com/about/john_kerry/medical.html was removed from Kerry's website, because it supports the fact that Kerry only had a bruise. Since he only had a bruise where there was no bleeding, then he falsely obtained the 3rd Purple Heart.

The page is back so be careful about making the claim they removed it -- in a debate you will be challenged.
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have any Doctors on this forum?

I see some serious issues here and think they will fit very nicely in furthering what the documented After Action reports say.

Hello, Doc -- you out there?

- Chief
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:
Do we have any Doctors on this forum?f

Chief,

You may want to post the question as a new message. I know we've had a few doctors on the forum in the past.
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:

I see some serious issues here and think they will fit very nicely in furthering what the documented After Action reports say.

- Chief

My observations as a physician (M.D.):

I note that the size and depth of wounds, size of "shrapnel" fragments and sizes of "bruises" are not noted. I was taught to always do so, for example, "a 2 centimeter by 3 centimeter bruise, and a 1 inch long laceration." In those days and in that setting, however, they were likely not so careful in their documentation. No malpractice suits to worry about in the military, either. Smile

It would have been NICE if the docs and assistants made such notations; it could have helped keep the medals dispensation on the up and up! Or perhaps they did, on the original clinic notes. I imagine some of those notes are suffering the "form 180 invisibility syndrome."

For a young man in good health, the episodes of pneumonia are unusual. Marijuana use is associated with a higher risk of pneumonia, bronchitis and other respiratory ailments. The unfiltered, caustic cannibis smoke irritates the lungs and bronchi (air passages).

The "nonspecific urinary tract infection" is also unusual in a young man - not as uncommon in older men with enlarged prostate glands and obstruction - but unusual in a young man -- unless the infectious agent happens to be venereal in nature...

Basically, these information in this letter from this Dr. Doyle at "Man's Best Hospital" (as MGH is unaffectionately known in the medical novel "The House of God") is undetailed enough to infer much.

On the other hand, calling someone a "hero" for minor contusions and lacerations is really pushing it in my humble opinion. I can add that in my practice of occupational medicine, I saw trainmen and janitors who sustained worse injuries (bad lacerations, contusions, sprained backs, even minor fractures) who were back to light duty or full duty in days to weeks. They got worker's compensation, but no medals that I recall.

I remember a police officer who chasing a bad guy, and the police car lost control and went off an overpass onto the road below. An airbag saved the officer's life, but he was bruised up very badly, with major contusions to his chest, face, limbs - I'm talking palm-sized black and blue areas, and we were worried about a heart contusion from the impact as well.

A week later, the guy wanted to return to work. I had to say "NO." It took about a month before he was able to beg me successfully to return to work.

THAT'S a hero.

-- FDL
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdixlover wrote:
NavyChief wrote:

- Chief

My observations:

I note that the size and depth of wounds, size of "shrapnel" fragments and sizes of "bruises" are not noted. I was taught to always do so, for example, "a 2 centimeter by 3 centimeter bruise, and a 1 inch long laceration." In those days and in that setting, however, they were likely not so careful in their documentation. No malpractice suits to worry about in the military, either. Smile

(It would have been NICE if the docs and assistants made such notations; it could have helped keep the medals dispensation onthe up and up!)

For a young man in good health, the episodes of pneumonia are unusual. Marijuana use can cause that.

The "nonspecific urinary tract infection" is also unusual in a man - unless the infectious agent happens to be venereal in nature...

Basically, these "records" are undetailed enough to infer much.

On the other hand, calling someone a "hero" for minor contusions and lacerations is really pushing it in my humble opinion. I can add that in my practice of occupational medicine, I saw trainmen and janitors who sustained worse injuries (bad lacerations, contusions, sprained backs, even minor fractures) who were back to light duty or full duty in days to weeks.

I remember a police officer who chasing a bad guy, and the police car lost control and went off an overpass onto the road below. An airbag saved the officer's life, but he was bruised up very badly, with major contusions to his chest, face, limbs - I'm talking palm-sized black and blue areas, and we were worried about a heart contusion from the impact as well.

A week later, the guy wanted to return to work. I had to say "NO." It took about a month before he was able to beg me successfully to return to work.

THAT'S a hero.

-- FDL

Excellent. I want to zero in on a couple of items.

20 February 1969, “Wounded by piece of B-40 shrapnel today while on operation, in portion of left thigh.”

Mr. Kerry sustained an injury when he was wounded by a piece of B- 40 shrapnel while on operation. He was noted to have a wound of entry on the back of his left thigh and the wound was debrided and treated with the application of a topical dressing. An x-ray confirmed the shrapnel location but a decision was made to leave the shrapnel in place, as successful removal would have necessitated an extensive wider exposure and block excision of the wound. The course of conservative treatment was successful and a wound infection did not develop. The wound was ultimately closed with sutures following debridement of necrotic tissue.

(1) "he was noted..." Do you suppose that since the wound of entry was on the back of his left thigh, he had to be facing the opposite direction of the grenade blast?

(2) "the wound was debrided..." Yucky skin removed and treated with a topical dressing -- was this a salve type dressing? (wet?) A wound caused by "hot" shrapnel is treated this way? Using Kerry's words that it burned like hell.

(3) How long would you guess this procedure of debriding and dressing would take? From examination to finish?

(4) Taking x-rays was standard practice for shrapnel, yes? How long would an x-ray for this wound take? What size x-ray machine would be needed to do this?

(5) Your thoughts on the thinking about leaving it there and not causing a "block excision of the wound"?

(6) Your thougts on "The wound was ultimately closed with sutures following debridement of necrotic tissue".

(7) Sutures is used in the plural. Guess of the minimum size of this wound?

(8. Timeline for the tissue to become "necrotic"? Hours? Minutes? Instant?

(9) Kerry was seen by medical aboard the SPENCER, but his casualty report was sent the next day by medical at An Thoi. Kerry had treatment twice. Any thoughts on this?

Please excuse any of the above questions that may seem stupid or obvious.

thanks,

- Chief
Stevie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happened to all that blood Rassman saw dripping down/ off Kerry' s arem???????????
was it a hollywood blood packet to go with Kerry's movie camera?
be arrested, exiled or hanged.
fortdixlover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavyChief wrote:

(1) "he was noted..." Do you suppose that since the wound of entry was on the back of his left thigh, he had to be facing the opposite direction of the grenade blast?

Yes, shrapnel is not well-known to pass through the front of the leg and exiting the rear while only leaving a mark on the rear. Richochet doesn't seem too likely. It bothers me that the SIZE of the entry and shrapnel is not noted. What if the entry wound is 2 millimeters in length, and the "shrapnel" 1 mm in length? Small metallic fragments are dense and show up easily on X-ray.

(2) "the wound was debrided..." Yucky skin removed and treated with a topical dressing -- was this a salve type dressing? (wet?) A wound caused by "hot" shrapnel is treated this way? Using Kerry's words that it burned like hell.

Impossible to tell. Exactly how much tissue was removed (debrided)? You debride your skin everyday - ever take the head off a pimple?

(3) How long would you guess this procedure of debriding and dressing would take? From examination to finish?

A minute or less for minor wounds.

(4) Taking x-rays was standard practice for shrapnel, yes? How long would an x-ray for this wound take? What size x-ray machine would be needed to do this?

Standard unit used for general radiology would do it, same machine to take x-rays of bones etc. An x-ray would take a few minutes, mostly for positioning the patient, loading the film into its cannister, setting the x-ray beam level and time, and developing the film

(5) Your thoughts on the thinking about leaving it there and not causing a "block excision of the wound"?

I suspect the "shrapnel" was very small, since it would take a lot of digging to find it. Tiny metal things show up great on xray, but visually it's much harder to see the little metal bits in a field of red! Likely they figured it wasn't worth the trouble to go on such a treasure hunt. If the "shrapnel" WAS big, it would be EASY to dig out for reasons above.

(6) Your thougts on "The wound was ultimately closed with sutures following debridement of necrotic tissue".

How many sutures? How much debridement? We don't get that information. And tissue necrosis (breakdown) happens when the tissue loses its blood flow. You ever cut yourself with a pen knife? Did the skin around the cut die off and turn black (necrotic) to any major degree? Is the "necrotic tissue" they are referrring to just congealed blood (scabs)? I'd like to see a more detailed report!

Mr. Kerry, sign that Form 180!

"Closed with sutures" could refer to the METHOD, not the NUMBER OF SUTURES. OK - 1 suture - 1/2 centimeter wound. 2 sutures- 1 centimeter wound. Etcetera. Medical rule of thumb -- an adult thumb is about 2 centimeters wide! But without knowing the # of sutures, again the stated information leaves much to be desired.

Hours. For any "necrosis" worth noting, you'd need to have skin that was completely separated from its blood supply (i.e., from surrounding skin). I think the "necrotic tissue" was lilkely what we would call "scabs." I've seen near-severed limbs that did not become necrotic for the time it took to transport to hospital and get to the O.R. for repair. See above.

(9) Kerry was seen by medical aboard the SPENCER, but his casualty report was sent the next day by medical at An Thoi. Kerry had treatment twice. Any thoughts on this?

Checkup would be my guess.

-- FDL
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Please excuse any of the above questions that may seem stupid or obvious.

Okay, here are the answers from a Independent Duty HMC who has not patched anyone in about 13 yrs. I welcome any corrections.

1. To get an entry wound on the back of the left thigh, Kerry would have had to be facing away from the blast. I would be interested to know the location of the wound, the angle of entry and depth of entry. That would tell whether he was ducking and covering, standing, etc., and how far he was from the blast.

2. When you debride a wound, you remove any foreign debris (dirt, clothing, etc.) and any necrotic non-vital tissue. If you leave a piece of shrapnel in place, you typically either pack the wound or place a drain in the wound, and allow it to heal by "secondary intention" which means without the use of sutures. You do this because, if there is anyhting left in the wound that is contaminated, and you suture the wound closed, the patient will develop an abcess and possibly blood poisoning. Bacitracin or Neosporin is placed on the wound, with a bandage.
The fact hat there is no mention of Iodoform packing or a drain tells me that the wound was superficial, probably no more than one inch deep.
The "burning" sensation does not necessarily mean that the shranel was hot. Patients get a burning sensation when nerves are severed, which happens with shrapnel wounds.
If the shrapnel was hot, this would cause some type of burn injury in the interior of the wound, which complicates recovery. Sometimes the tissue does not appear necrotic until several days after an interior burn. Here, it does not look like that was the case. The medical records indicate that this was a straightforward uncomplicated case.

3. Assuming it is a relatively small wound, probably no more than 30 minutes. Stop the bleeding, clean the area, numb it with Lidocaine, wait five or ten minutes, debride the wound, dress it. Wound check the following day, and dressign changes daily til healed.

4. Most of the time x-rays would be taken, just to verify that it is metal. Time? it depends on the availability of the machine and technician.

5. Worrying about a block excision tells me that the shranel entered at an angle, probably meaning that Kerry was crouching, diving or lying down with his back to the blast. If shrapnel removal is going to make the wound, scar or tissue removal too extensive, you leave it in. This is a judgement call by the doctor.

6. Placing sutures later? Very strange. Normally, if you can't suture within a very short period of time (certainly 24 hours or less) then you do not suture at all. Too much risk of infection, pocket formation, etc.

7. The back of the thigh has skin which is not under a lot of stress. If only two sutures, maybe 1/2 inch minimum.

8. Tissue becomes necrotic when it no longer has established blood flow. Tissue normally can become necrotic immediately and is apparent by its appearance. Tissue can become necrotic later if the blood flow is interrupted.

9. Probably normal initial treatment and then next-day wound check.

Does that answer everything?

Last edited by docford on Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:05 am; edited 1 time in total
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like fortdixlover and I were working on responses at the same time. I defer to superior knowledge and experience.

THe bottom line is - as my daughter would say, "Kerry is a whining little dork."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: