SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry Medical record info / other links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Herb"]
NavyChief wrote:
Herb wrote:

You are correct, however this particular incident I'm asking questions about is the 20 Feb incident -- 2nd Purple Heart on the CUA LON river.

- Chief

I don't think much is known about that incident -- but (I believe it is in "Tour of Duty") they were actually laying down supressive fire at a common ambush spot when miraculously they took fire, RPG the ubiquitious "close aboard" (in the water) and somehow Kerry gets a small piece in his leg.)

A week later he is running ashore so this is not much of a wound.

No one has explained how an RPG in the water puts scrapnel (and not much) into the boat so it hits a leg but no one higher in the body.

Kerry was shooting the M-79 if I remember correctly.

It really is worth reading "Tour of Duty" even if you only review the 'incident' passages.

Herb,

Thanks, but I don't have Tour of Duty nor will I pay for it Wink I've seen the excerpts in various online editions.

You are right, not many know about the 20 Feb incident. But, I've recreated it using the available documentaiton -- the incident stinks badly.
The addition of the Medical report letter from Kerry camp gives a little more insight for this incident.

- Chief
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:
Chief, if Kerry was firing the M-79 from a standing position, the side and rear of his left thigh would have been exposed to fragments from the exploding grenade.
See the standing firing position illustrated in FM 23-31.
Chapter 5, Section I. Preliminary Marksmanship Training, 5-1 Four Fundamentals of Marksmanship, (a)Steady Position, (8)Standing Position, Figure 5-8.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/23-31/f2331_6.htm#REF30h4

That would be taking into account that Kerry was holding it correctly. My understanding is he kept trying to shoot the M-79 like the shotgun. I'm sure that if he fired the M-79, he turned at the explosion and the shrapnel caught him in the back of the leg.

- Chief
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief, also the steel casing of the 40mm grenade is made with a spiral wound steel wire that is notched at regular intervals. The purpose is to evenly disperse the maximum amount of equally sized fragments on detonation - this is how Letson was able to ID the fragment in his first PH incident.

This design evolved after the WWII MkII HE grenade (the classic pineapple grenade) was found to have an unpredictable dispersal pattern of fragments(ie - not everyone in the kill radius gets hit by fragments). The notched wire design is also used in the M61 and current M67 "baseball" hand grenades.

Link to photos:
http://www.inert-ord.net/usa03a/

The B-40 rocket lacks this feature. The HEAT version is not designed to produce anti-personnel fragments. The HEAP uses a notched steel casing to produce fragments. In either case the fragments are easily distingushed from US M-79 grenade fragments.

Last edited by Hammer2 on Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought Chief - do the x-rays of Kerry's injuries still exist? Would they be in his unreleased medical records? If so, they should clearly show the size and shape of the fragments.
What about Thorsen and Short? Any info or x-rays on their injuries? A single M-79 grenade fragmet in any of them would put the lie to this story.

Last edited by Hammer2 on Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Herb
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here every personally see an RPG hit the water or a motar do so?

What sort of scrapnel do you get? (You do get an explosion, right?)

I still don't see how you have an RPG hit in the water and through stuff into the boat (over the gunwale but down into someone's leg.)
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb, it depends on the type of round.

Anti-Armour rounds employ a conical shaped charge behind a copper cone. The fuze is a PIBD type (Point Initiating, Base Detonating). Essentialy, it is an explosive lense that focuses the power of the charge to collapse the copper cone and form a jet that burns through the armour. The PI part of the fuze is located at the focus point of the explosive lense. The net effect is that when a round of this type explodes, the bulk of the force and particles is projected forward - this makes it fairly ineffective as an anti-personnel round.

Anti-personnel rounds depend on a spherical or cylindrical spray of fragments to inflict injury. They contain an explosive charge and either a fragmenting case, or a case filled with steel balls. The fuzes are PD (Point Detonating) and either explode on impact, or cause a small charge to lift the grenade man-high before exploding. Both the current US and East Block grenades have both types. I don't believe the air-bursting types were available in 1969 on either side.

There are also thermobaric rounds now, but they create an area blast and heat effect that causes the injuries (think fuel-air bombs). These didn't exist at the time.

My point in all this is that no B-40 or M-79 round could have caused Kerry's injury if used properly. Only an air-burst could have caused the downward angled wounds, eliminating the B-40 and thus indicating a premature M-79 round detonating as soon as it armed itself.

Last edited by Hammer2 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:
Chief, also the steel casing of the 40mm grenade is made with a spiral wound steel wire that is notched at regular intervals. The purpose is to evenly disperse the maximum amount of equally sized fragments on detonation - this is how Letson was able to ID the fragment in his first PH incident.

This design evolved after the WWII MkII HE grenade (the classic pineapple grenade) was found to have an unpredictable dispersal pattern of fragments(ie - not everyone in the kill radius gets hit by fragments). The notched wire design is also used in the M61 and current M67 "baseball" hand grenades.

Link to photos:
http://www.inert-ord.net/usa03a/

The B-40 rocket lacks this feature. The HEAT version is not designed to produce anti-personell fragments. The HEAP uses a notched steel casing to produce fragments. In either case the fragments are easily distingushed from US M-79 grenade fragments.

Now that, is very interesting.

- Chief
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer2 wrote:
Just a thought Chief - do the x-rays of Kerry's injuries still exist? Would they be in his unreleased medical records? If so, they should clearly show the size and shape of the fragments.
What about Thorsen and Short? Any info or x-rays on their injuries? A single M-79 grenade fragmet in any of them would put the lie to this story.

I'm not sure. Hopefully fortdixlover and Doc ford will come back on the board. Maybe they have an idea on that?

- Chief
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shrapnel wound that Kerry claimed "burned like hell", was the first purple heart incident. UFC page 33.

Also I read where someone said that when Kerry goes through the metal detector at the airport he does not set off the alarm. Is shrapnel always metal or can it be plastic or something?
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanna wrote:
The shrapnel wound that Kerry claimed "burned like hell", was the first purple heart incident. UFC page 33.

Also I read where someone said that when Kerry goes through the metal detector at the airport he does not set off the alarm. Is shrapnel always metal or can it be plastic or something?

Major components of M-79 rounds were aluminum. Also metal detectors will not trigger on very small pieces of shrapnel. I know because I carry 1 around in my stomach. I shows up on X-rays and MRIs.
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewwwwwwwwwww:(( Does it hurt?? And can't those move around? YUCK........made my stomach flip flop........eeeeeeeekkkkkkkk its a KERRY:) I have a Kerry stomach:)
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good Military reference for combat injuries. Text and drawings, no photos. Not gross.

http://www.vnh.org/EWSurg/EWSTOC.html
Hammer2
PO2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ASPB
Quote:
Major components of M-79 rounds were aluminum

Although the casing and ogive (and parts of fuze) indeed are aluminum, the shell of the exploding part of the grenade and it's fragments are steel

M386 grenade image:
http://www.tpub.com/content/explosives/TM-43-0001-28/css/TM-43-0001-28_563.htm
NavyChief
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great discussion.

I want to point out that the medical report seen by Kerry's doctor and the letter he wrote says the wound was from a B-40 rocket. But if you read closely, the medical report does not say B-40 rocket. Also, how could they tell what kind of shrapnel this was? If they had to leave it in there and take an xray to confirm its location, there's no way they could have determined what it was that hit Kerry in the leg.

They took Kerry's word for it that it was a B-40 rocket.

This is lovely because on the CUA LON river, it was at least 1000 meters wide at the point Kerry was "ambushed". Naval Intelligence reported in late January, earlier February that the maximum range for a B-40 rocket was 200 meters. You do the math Cool Can shrapnel go out approximately 300 meters? And this was provided that Kerry's boat was standing still at the time -- not moving away at a farther distance.

- Chief
docford
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief,

It is very unlikely that the actual x-rays are still in existence, and the films are not part of the "medical record." Only the xray report written by the radiologist or other physician is retained in the individual's medical record. The films are retained where the xrays were shot. Old films are normally destroyed or recycled after a certain period.

Depending on the angle of the xray and the quality of the shot, it is sometimes possible to get a pretty good idea of the appearance, size and shape of the shrapnel. If that is the case, the xray report in the medical record might state that the object was flat, spiral, notched, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: