SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Kerry said on 02/23/98 (This is a Goodie!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: What Kerry said on 02/23/98 (This is a Goodie!) Reply with quote

Listen to what ol' Kerry-boy has to say about Clinton, ground troops, hand-outs, his vietnam experience, etc., etc.....

A visible Kerry talks tough on crisis
The Boston Globe, 02/23/98

WASHINGTON - Senator John F. Kerry, who began his public life as a Vietnam War protester, said yesterday that the United States should use ground troops to topple Iraqi President Saddam Hussein if he does not comply with international demands to give up chemical and biological weapons.

Kerry, a potential presidential candidate in 2000, said sending US troops into Iraq should be ''the last option, but it is a legitimate option.'' He said the United States should aim to remove Hussein only ''within the framework of international law - in other words, if he remains obdurate and in violation of the United Nations resolutions, and in a position of threat to the world community.''

Kerry, speaking to The Boston Globe before the announcement in Baghdad that an agreement had been reached with the Iraqi leader, echoed statements he had made earlier yesterday on the ABC program ''This Week.'' He was interviewed from Idaho where, Kerry said, he was spending time with his family following a fund-raising trip that took him to Alabama, Texas, and other places last week, ''wherever I can find somebody kind enough to help me raise money to reduce my debt.'' His campaign debt stood at $1.8 million at the end of 1997.

The state's junior senator said President Clinton had not been tough enough in his measures to subdue the Iraqi president. His comments, along with other recent criticisms of the Clinton administration's Iraqi policy, have made Kerry one of the most prominent Democratic critics of the president's plans.

Those plans reportedly include an air attack on Iraq, should diplomatic efforts fail. But US officials have not said they would use the 30,000 US soldiers in the region to topple Hussein.

''I think there is a disconnect between the depth of the threat that Saddam Hussein presents to the world, and what we are at the moment talking about doing,'' Kerry said yesterday on ABC. Because Iraq will try to rebuild its chemical and biological weaponry after a US air attack, ''we will not eliminate the problem for ourselves or for the rest of the world with a bombing attack,'' Kerry said.

Kerry said his conditional support for using ground troops put him ''way ahead of the commander in chief, and I'm probably way ahead of my colleagues, and certainly of much of the country. But I believe this.''

Kerry has appeared on other news shows in recent weeks to talk about Iraq, and news reports prominently noted Kerry's grilling of Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright at a recent Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing.

Kerry said his position on Iraq is consistent with his Vietnam War experience. ''The lessons I learned are that if you're going to commit young people to fight, make sure you've got an objective and it's achievable, and it meets the needs of your country,'' Kerry said. He said his position had nothing to do with his potential presidential campaign.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, there's a shot that should be heard round the world.

Oops, several shots - and all into his own foot. Confused

Unfortunately, we know it will not even make a ripple on the media pond.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: have a link Reply with quote

Is that article available somewhere that I could link to in other forums?
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: