SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Worm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidS
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Computer Worm Reply with quote

Several weeks ago I was on this Forum and went to the Index and got a message containing "Fatal Error". I shut down and restarted with no trouble.

A few days later the same thing happened and after shutting down could no longer access drive C:. As you can guess, I lost all my hard drive data.

I had been using Norton Internet Security but apparently to no avail.

Had anyone had a simi8lkar problem?

Thanks.
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidS:
You could have gotten a computer worm from almost anywhere. The fact that a "Fatal Error" message came up may only mean that the worm was already there or it may mean nothing. These virus writers are sometimes quite talented and although Norton Internet Security is good, no anti-Virus program is perfect. On my system (3 networked pc's), I run Norton on one machine, McAfee on the second and the Computer Associates on the third. Several times a day, the machines scan each other and very frequently find viruses, trojans and worms on the other networked machines they are scanning. To top it all, about once a week I run the TrendMicro housecall (free to run over the internet link) and find stuff all three of the others have missed. The best advice is to run your normal AV program and augment it with the one-time free scans available at the sites of the other AV vendors. Additionally, if a virus gets in before one of the AV companies has a defination for it, it will frequently hide within the AV program and be undetected. You should run the AV from safe-mode to be sure.
Also don't forget to run a spyware killer like Ad-Aware (also free) to get rid of the resource hogging marketing crap that shows up and collects personal info on you for shipment back to the agency that originated it.
It's too bad all this stuff is necessary, but cruisin' the internet is like taking a PCF up a canal. The bad guys are going to put you in their gunsights.
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidS,

This is not a computer troubleshooting forum, but I suggest you follow all the steps at http://www.securitytango.com/ in order.
DavidS
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Computer Worm Reply with quote

BuffaloJack;

Thanks for your excellent advice.

DavidS
DavidS
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Computer Worm Reply with quote

Air_Vet;

Thanks; I had thought that perhaps someone was trying to sabatage this site.

DavidS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: