SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LA Times Weighs In....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: LA Times Weighs In.... Reply with quote

Here we go...can the Grey Lady Be Next?

Quote:
Veterans Battle Over the Truth
An ad calls Kerry a liar. His Vietnam crew sees a hero. Memories, and agendas, are in conflict.
By Maria L. La Ganga and Stephen Braun, Times Staff Writers
LA Times
August 17, 2004

A television ad that has aired in three key battleground states and a new book have created a political furor over John F. Kerry's Vietnam War record, calling into question his character, credibility and a central tenet of his campaign — that his combat experience helps qualify him to be president.

The ad, the book and the people behind them have become staples of conservative talk shows and Internet sites. The claims — that Kerry lied about his war experiences, didn't deserve his medals and betrayed soldiers everywhere by protesting the war after serving in it — also have been recited in the mainstream media, along with denials of the allegations.

What military documentation exists and has been made public generally supports the view put forth by Kerry and most of his crewmates — that he acted courageously and came by his Silver Star, Bronze Star and three Purple Hearts honestly. This view of Kerry as war hero is supported by all but one of the surviving veterans who served with him on the two boats he commanded.

None of the critics quoted in the ad actually served on the boats with Kerry. Some of them also have given contradictory accounts and offered conflicting recollections.

But what actually happened about 35 years ago along the remote southern coast of Vietnam remains murky. Some of Kerry's own recollections over the years, as presented in two biographies and many interviews, also have been inconsistent.

Los Angeles Times

Last edited by Me#1You#10 on Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
bach04
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how the LA times went through all the diatribe about the vets in the first 90% of that article, then there is a little statement at the end with the word inconsistent with regards to Kerry's own stories. If I were an outsider and were reading this in a cursory manner, then I would have missed that part. Typical LA Times, biased and liberal as can be. But at least they acknowledged that there is a story out there. :)
Indianbaboon
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foot in the door buddy, foot in the door Very Happy
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long on words, short on substance...the internet will have this fisked in short order...let the education commence.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness...does Beldar ever sleep? First fisking of the day... here's a taste...

Quote:
I will share, however, a few additional jots and tittles that jumped out at me from the article.

Quote:
A liberal independent organization is weighing in on the controversy with a new ad today, demanding that President Bush urge that the ad be taken off the air.

Yes, that would be MoveOn PAC's ad, about which I've just written at some length. Kudos for the apt word "liberal"; but "independent"? Irony seems lost on the LAT, which in a single sentence assumes that President Bush can control the SwiftVets, while simultaneously taking for granted that Sen. Kerry can't control the vastly better-funded MoveOn.

Beldar Blogs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: