SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with an ID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Need help with an ID Reply with quote

Kerry listed a Jim McDevitt from Wrenthem, Massachusetts as one of his Swift boat crewmates during the DNC - http://www.dems2004.org/site/pp.asp?c=luI2LaPYG&b=130848

Of all the guys listed as his crewmates, this is the only guy who's not listed at swiftboats.net. Can anyone ID this guy?

I've found websites that say they've known each other for 32 years. If that's true (and I'm not accepting anything Kerry says at face value any more) then they could not have been crewmates. I've found evidence that he's a prosecutor in Mass, so I suspect that's where/when they met, but I can't definitively say that he was not a Swift vet.

Can anyone help? Is this guy a ringer thrown in to "add weight" to the list of supporting vets? (It's not like Kerry hasn't done that before!)
Michael Wright
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not believe he was a member of Kerry's crew, they appear to have met in 72 stateside while SGT McDeviit was in Hospital.

Quote:
JIM McDEVITT: Trust. They trust John Kerry. I trust him as much as I’ve ever trusted anybody else. This is a decent guy. He is a kind man, he’s a compassionate man, he’s exactly what you might want from a neighbour, from a friend.

COLGAN: Now a State prosecutor, Jim McDevitt was lying wounded in a hospital bed when he first met John Kerry. It was the third time the young sergeant had been shot and he was taking home four purple heart combat medals. John Kerry was an activist visiting the injured men to persuade them the war in Vietnam was wrong.

JIM McDEVITT: I went into the room to see a man who I felt was betraying my cause and my suffering, the room suddenly got very very quiet and we just rolled away at that point, everybody going their own separate way and no one discussed it any further but over the next days I had, we recognised that they weren’t our enemy. These were our brothers.

taken from
http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2004/s1051641.htm
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted the results of my research on my blog - here

McDevitt was a Marine. He met Kerry in 1972 when he was in the hospital after having earned his fourth Purple Heart. He never served with Kerry.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How interesting that the list would be constructed thusly;

John Kerry's Vietnam Swiftboat Crewmates

Jim Rassmann of Florence, Oregon will speak
The Reverend David Alston, Columbia, South Carolina
Skip Barker, Selma, Alabama
Steve Hatch, Niagra Falls, New York
Jim McDevitt, Wrenthem, Massachusetts
Mike Medeiros, San Leandros, California
Pat Runyon, Eaton, Ohio
Wade Sanders, San Diego, California
Del Sandusky, Dunedin, Florida
Fred Short, North Little Rock, Arkansas
Gene Thorson, Ames, Iowa
Jim Wasser, St. Anne, Illinois
Drew Whitlow, Huntsville, Arkansas
Bill Zaladonis, Sanford, Florida

Twelve people, because two of them weren't his crewmates. (That's the acid-test, right? Wink )

(ooops, not twelve - only EIGHT people actually passed the "crewmate" acid test! Thanks, baldeagl!)

And yet they get more instant credibility with our pro-Kerry media than 254 Swift Boat Vets who say he is not fit for command.

In-freakin'-credible. Mad

Last edited by Navy_Navy_Navy on Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's look at that list.

Jim Rassmann of Florence, Oregon will speak - US Army, Green Beret, served one documentable day with Kerry, not a crewmate

The Reverend David Alston, Columbia, South Carolina - may have been a crewmate for one week - not yet verified

Skip Barker, Selma, Alabama - OinC of PCF 31 - not a crewmate

Steve Hatch, Niagra Falls, New York - PCF 44 crewmate

Jim McDevitt, Wrenthem, Massachusetts - US Marine, met Kerry in 1972 while recuperating in the hospital - not a crewmate

Mike Medeiros, San Leandros, California - PCF 94 crewmate

Pat Runyon, Eaton, Ohio - spent one night on the "Boston Whaler" with Kerry, not a crewmate

Wade Sanders, San Diego, California - OinC of PCF 98, not a crewmate

Del Sandusky, Dunedin, Florida - PCF 94 crewmate

Fred Short, North Little Rock, Arkansas - PCF 94 crewmate

Gene Thorson, Ames, Iowa - PCF 94 crewmate

Jim Wasser, St. Anne, Illinois - PCF 44 crewmate

Drew Whitlow, Huntsville, Arkansas - PCF 44 crewmate

Bill Zaladonis, Sanford, Florida - PCF 44 crewmate

So, of the 14 men that Kerry claimed were Swift boat crewmates, only eight were. Two commanded other swifts. One may have served with him for a week. Another served with him for about 3 hours. One spent a day with him. And one met him in 1972.

And the Swiftvets have no credibility!?!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: