SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougReese wrote:

> Hmm, I've said I was voting for Kerry, that I was "for" Kerry, and now you
> make the surprising discovery that I have posted a few times over on
> VetsforKerry a month or two ago. Congratulations on some brilliant
> sleuthing.

Let's also ignore your USENET activity, Google shows 8,710 posts from email address, dreese@erols.com from alt.war.vietnam alone. Over 1,100 in last 2 months with yout email address and the term "KERRY." You have been a very busy man defending Kerry.

> I think I see your problem -- reading comprehension. I mean, you say I
> claim that I witnessed the entire event? Did I say that? I don't think so.
> I believe I have been very clear as to what I observed, and what I did not
> observe, and have done so several times. If not, please feel free to prove
> me wrong by pulling up a post where I have said I witnessed the entire
> event.

You claim you were some 60 yards away when Kerry was chasing the lone VC (I say lone because Kerry's crew tells of the incoming having come from the other side of the canal) it happened. After the VC was dead you walked over to the body and stood beside Kerry. In another post (alt.war.vietnam) you descibe only remembering the leg wound from Tommy's M-60 and don't remember any other wound that might have been inflicted by Kerry.

You also claim you did not remember Kerry at all for 30 years:

"I remember, 30 years later, being with John Kerry in Vietnam, and he was just your basic LtJg from who-knows-where back then. If he were the son of someone well known from my state (IN), say, our senator or a congressman, I'd be even MORE likely to remember him."

You also have stated on alt.war.vietnam:

"I worked with John Kerry and company off and on, but Seafloat did not yet exist, if I'm not mistaken, Solid Anchor may have started at some point - I only know anything about either of these from running into someone such as yourself 10-12 years ago. Then Kerry filled me in. I also saw some of the remnants when I went back there a number of times from 1989-1994."

So, John Kerry has been filling you in eh? Spin Reese, Spin.

> I also haven't said that the accounts of others are faulty or unreliable.
> It's just that you seem to be taking what you want from their accounts and
> using it as you see fit. The bit about the (yawn) soldiers on Kerry's boat
> is one of several examples.

"Those of you who have met up with fellow vets that have a shared experience know that we remember things differently. Some remember better than others. Some remember certain details that others have forgotten, and"

Sure sounds to me you are saying Kerry's crew statemenets by themselves are faulty, unless of course we have Doug Reese to connect the dot's and tell us what is correct and what isn't.,,,because them after-action reports are inaccurate!

I have a lot problems with your stories Reese, wanna know that today's problem is? Bill Rood. You have posted about your experiences and what you saw that day when you were on the PCF-23 since 2000. You have talked about the the incident with the VC carrying B-40 over a couple of years but never mention Bill Rood. Then after Tour of Duty has been out you begin referring to Bill Rood, Ironically, it is Feb 28, 2004 when you first start referring to Bill Rood.
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
DougReese wrote:

> sleuthing.

Let's also ignore your USENET activity, Google shows 8,710 posts from email address, dreese@erols.com from alt.war.vietnam alone. Over 1,100 in last 2 months with yout email address and the term "KERRY." You have been a very busy man defending Kerry.

Doug: 8,700 posts in 8 years. Really? Interesting, but so what? alt.war.vietnam is where a lot of VN vets hang out.

1,100 in the past two months? That's a little surprising since I've been in Vietnam for three weeks in the past two months, but again - who cares?

> I think I see your problem -- reading comprehension. I mean, you say I
> claim that I witnessed the entire event? Did I say that? I don't think so.
> I believe I have been very clear as to what I observed, and what I did not
> observe, and have done so several times. If not, please feel free to prove
> me wrong by pulling up a post where I have said I witnessed the entire
> event.

You claim you were some 60 yards away when Kerry was chasing the lone VC (I say lone because Kerry's crew tells of the incoming having come from the other side of the canal) it happened. After the VC was dead you walked over to the body and stood beside Kerry. In another post (alt.war.vietnam) you descibe only remembering the leg wound from Tommy's M-60 and don't remember any other wound that might have been inflicted by Kerry.

Doug: Yes, I only, and then only vaguely, remember the leg wound. No other wound. So?

You also claim you did not remember Kerry at all for 30 years:

"I remember, 30 years later, being with John Kerry in Vietnam, and he was just your basic LtJg from who-knows-where back then. If he were the son of someone well known from my state (IN), say, our senator or a congressman, I'd be even MORE likely to remember him."

Doug: I have said many times that I remember Kerry as of the second time I saw him on TV in 1971, when they did a background piece on him that featured the Swift Boats. I did NOT just realize who he was 30 years later.

You also have stated on alt.war.vietnam:

"I worked with John Kerry and company off and on, but Seafloat did not yet exist, if I'm not mistaken, Solid Anchor may have started at some point - I only know anything about either of these from running into someone such as yourself 10-12 years ago. Then Kerry filled me in. I also saw some of the remnants when I went back there a number of times from 1989-1994."

So, John Kerry has been filling you in eh? Spin Reese, Spin.

Doug: I have met John Kerry one time since 1969. That was in 1988, and we spent perhaps 30 minutes together. In 1992 or 1993 I shook his hand at a function in DC. That's it.

Kerry "filled me in" as to Solid Anchor or Sea Float? I doubt it, as he left quite a while before I did, and before Sea Float and/or Solid Anchor became a reality.

Why don't you post the whole thread instead of just a piece of it?

> I also haven't said that the accounts of others are faulty or unreliable.
> It's just that you seem to be taking what you want from their accounts and
> using it as you see fit. The bit about the (yawn) soldiers on Kerry's boat
> is one of several examples.

"Those of you who have met up with fellow vets that have a shared experience know that we remember things differently. Some remember better than others. Some remember certain details that others have forgotten, and"

Sure sounds to me you are saying Kerry's crew statemenets by themselves are faulty, unless of course we have Doug Reese to connect the dot's and tell us what is correct and what isn't.,,,because them after-action reports are inaccurate!

Doug: Read into it whatever you want. I said what I said. It was 35 years ago, and you expect everyone to remember every little detail? You have GOT to be kidding!

I have a lot problems with your stories Reese, wanna know that today's problem is? Bill Rood. You have posted about your experiences and what you saw that day when you were on the PCF-23 since 2000. You have talked about the the incident with the VC carrying B-40 over a couple of years but never mention Bill Rood.

Doug: Boy, you are some detective, aren't you? There's a reason why I didn't mention Bill Rood. It's because I didn't know which boat I was on. I only remembered that Kerry's boat was ahead of the boat I was on. I didn't know who the skipper of my boat was.

>Then after Tour of Duty has been out you begin referring to Bill Rood, Ironically, it is Feb 28, 2004 when you first start referring to Bill Rood.

Doug: Tour of Duty has not one single thing to do with me mentioning Bill Rood, genius. You got the wrong book. I know what boat I was on from research on the book "John F. Kerry - The Complete Biography by the Boston Globe Reporters Who Know Him Best".

You know, I keep answering your questions, no matter how ridiculous, but you avoid mine. Why is that? You asked me to sign that form, and I agreed to do so -- with you. How about it?

Doug

The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be my pleasure to post the whole post, Reese.

You were responding to this post:

hey doug.......we ( ltjg marty mayer, smitty, me, cadorette) brought the 40
boat PCF and started workin outa seafloat and the lst in square bay about
april/may 69...any chance we crossed pathes???????

Subject: Re: New Group
Date: 2000/04/29
Message-ID: <8efslt$ah3$1@bob.news.rcn.net>#1/1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
References: <39075f85@monster.zebra.net> <8ede5d$t0v$1@bob.news.rcn.net> <390b27d7@monster.zebra.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
X-Complaints-To: abuse@rcn.com
X-Trace: AAwpbt7Nrj3ZvfME6rUjQB5Kxt5Rhg1jwQQLjkSbSNM=
Organization: Vietnamtourism
Mime-Version: 1.0
NNTP-Posting-Date: 29 Apr 2000 23:53:33 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.vietnam.veterans

Maybe - I was in the district "capital", Dong Cung, and/or a nearby (Cai
Keo) village from Dec '68 to Aug '69 with an Army MATS (advisory) Team.

Dong Cung had the "last" bridge and was 10km directly north of the town
of Nam Can, or what was left of it.

I worked with John Kerry and company off and on, but Seafloat did not yet
exist, if I'm not mistaken, Solid Anchor may have started at some point -
I only know anything about either of these from running into someone such
as yourself 10-12 years ago. Then Kerry filled me in. I also saw some of
the remnants when I went back there a number of times from 1989-1994.

When we, along with the Vietnamese, worked with the Swift Boats, we went
out to the LST, which from where we were was where the river emptied out
into the Gulf of Thailand.

Doug
------------------------------------------------------

So Reese, what did Kerry fill you in on, since he would have no details of Solid Anchor or Sealift was since he only spent 3 months and 17 days and a total of maybe 18 missions and went home in March '69?
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
Be my pleasure to post the whole post, Reese.

You were responding to this post:

hey doug.......we ( ltjg marty mayer, smitty, me, cadorette) brought the 40
boat PCF and started workin outa seafloat and the lst in square bay about
april/may 69...any chance we crossed pathes???????

Subject: Re: New Group
Date: 2000/04/29
Message-ID: <8efslt$ah3$1@bob.news.rcn.net>#1/1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
References: <39075f85@monster.zebra.net> <8ede5d$t0v$1@bob.news.rcn.net> <390b27d7@monster.zebra.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
X-Complaints-To: abuse@rcn.com
X-Trace: AAwpbt7Nrj3ZvfME6rUjQB5Kxt5Rhg1jwQQLjkSbSNM=
Organization: Vietnamtourism
Mime-Version: 1.0
NNTP-Posting-Date: 29 Apr 2000 23:53:33 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.vietnam.veterans

Maybe - I was in the district "capital", Dong Cung, and/or a nearby (Cai
Keo) village from Dec '68 to Aug '69 with an Army MATS (advisory) Team.

Dong Cung had the "last" bridge and was 10km directly north of the town
of Nam Can, or what was left of it.

I worked with John Kerry and company off and on, but Seafloat did not yet
exist, if I'm not mistaken, Solid Anchor may have started at some point -
I only know anything about either of these from running into someone such
as yourself 10-12 years ago. Then Kerry filled me in. I also saw some of
the remnants when I went back there a number of times from 1989-1994.

When we, along with the Vietnamese, worked with the Swift Boats, we went
out to the LST, which from where we were was where the river emptied out
into the Gulf of Thailand.

Doug
------------------------------------------------------

So Reese, what did Kerry fill you in on, since he would have no details of Solid Anchor or Sealift was since he only spent 3 months and 17 days and a total of maybe 18 missions and went home in March '69?

I believe he went home in April, and it's Seafloat.

How could he have filled me in? Well, he kept in touch with a number of other Navy officers through the years, according to him. As I said, I had no idea that Sea Float/Solid Anchor had taken on such proportions until I met a vet in Indy who was there and told me about it -- this happened just before I met Kerry in 1988.

If I'm not mistaken, the person I am replying to in that alt.war.vietnam post is "Riverchief", a vet who just recently signed on to this group.

I believe Seafloat began a little later than he states (April/May), but I could be wrong.

Keep digging, maybe you'll find something interesting, cause you sure haven't as of yet.

Why don't you try the archives of the newsgroup soc.history.vietnam?

Doug
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, WHAT DID KERRY FILL YOU IN ABOUT?
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
Again, WHAT DID KERRY FILL YOU IN ABOUT?

Do you think you have some sort of breaking story here?

The conversation probabably went something like this --

Doug: I just found out about Solid Anchor. I had no idea they built that place up so much.

Kerry: Yes, that was the plan from the beginning, to establish a base near the site of the former district capital. They had no choice but to evacuate it before you and I were down there, but they wanted to re-establish it as soon as possible. Since the Navy presence had grown to such a degree, they decided it was best for them to do it.

I was gone by then, but some of my Navy buddies told me about it.

Let me ask you a question.

Doug: OK, shoot.

Kerry: We've had what -- 2 minutes or so of private conversation before this, right?

Doug: Yes, I'd say that's about right.

Kerry: That's what I thought. Well, that's good enough for me. I'm going to let you in on a little secret -- it's a national security issue, and something you need to be careful of. Al Gore is inventing something he's calling the "internet".

Doug: "Internet", hmm, that sounds important. What is it?

Kerry: (Whispering) I don't have time to discuss it here, but this much I can tell you. I'll be running for president sometime around 2000-2004, and this internet thing, well, you need to be careful of it.

Doug: How's that?

Kerry: People who have a lot of time on their hands will spend hours and hours looking up things you've said in the past -- with this internet thing, they will be able to do that -- they will twist and turn it, and then come up with conclusions that would surprise a sane person.

Doug: So what do you want me to do?

Kerry: Well, since we formed such a strong bond during those two minutes 20 years ago, I want you to be sure you don't reveal any of my dirty little secrets after this internet thing goes public.

Doug: What secrets?

Kerry: (Winking) You know . . .

Doug: Ohh, right. I know . . . .

Kerry: OK, then. It was good to see you again. We should do this every 20 years or so.

Doug: Sounds good to me. See you in 2008!
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF 180 is downloadable here:

http://www.archives.gov/facilities/mo/st_louis/military_personnel_records/standard_form_180.html

It covers all services... you just send it to a different address, depending on which service you were in.
Craig

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit wrote:
DougReese wrote:

> sleuthing.

Groups Results 971 - 976 of about 6,080 for author:"Doug Reese". (1.35 seconds)

"alt.war.vietnam - May 22, 2002 by Doug Reese - View Thread (45 articles)" is earliest I could find recorded at Google.

Perhaps your search gave you count including where his name and email addy are contained in response to his posts?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

"alt.war.vietnam - May 22, 2002 by Doug Reese - View Thread (45 articles)" is earliest I could find recorded at Google.

You have to do an advanced search and choose "sort by date." You will get a different number of posts almost every time, but in this particular search, http://www.google.com/groups?safe=images&ie=UTF-8&as_ugroup=alt.war.vietnam&as_uauthors=Doug%20Reese&as_scoring=d&lr=&num=100&hl=en you will note that the earliest post was in Dec of 2001, of about 4750 returns.
Craig

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navy_Navy_Navy wrote:
Craig wrote:

You have to do an advanced search and choose "sort by date." You will get a different number of posts almost every time, but in this particular search, http://www.google.com/groups?safe=images&ie=UTF-8&as_ugroup=alt.war.vietnam&as_uauthors=Doug%20Reese&as_scoring=d&lr=&num=100&hl=en you will note that the earliest post was in Dec of 2001, of about 4750 returns.

Cool. Did a search on myself for just a year

Groups Results 1 - 30 of about 7,400 from May 12, 1999 to May 29, 2000 for author:xxxxxx@xxxxxx. (1.02 seconds)
DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
The bandit wrote:
DougReese wrote:

> sleuthing.

Perhaps your search gave you count including where his name and email addy are contained in response to his posts?

That would be my guess (about the responses), as there's no way I posted that much these past two months.

A couple of guys who frequent that newsgroup (and keep in mind it's "alt.war.vietnam", and not some sort of Kerry newsgroup) have some sort of program which they run every once in a while. It comes up with all sorts of stats -- how many posts for each person, the number of posts in each thread, etc.

With that program, it's clearly just the posts each person actually makes, as opposed to including posts that are in response to that person's posts.

I'll ask if they can run it for April and May and give you the results. If I remember correctly, they did it for March. That was a busy month for me on account of one person -- who reminds me of someone here.

Anyway, I'll see if I can get that info.

When I said I was on that newsgroup for 8 years earlier, that was a little misleading. For more than a year I read it, but only e-mailed responses to the guys. I would guess that I actually began posting sometime around 1997-98. It was definitely long before 2002.

Doug
The bandit
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
The bandit wrote:
DougReese wrote:

> sleuthing.

Don't forget alt.vietnam.veterans which goes back to 2000. With Reese, 80%+ of the results are Reese posts with the rest respose to Reese because Reese never starts a new thread on his own....just trolls till someone mentions Kerry and then responds.

One post the guy was talking about the interview which Kerry said, "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals." Reese defended Kerry by saying:

"Do me a favor, if you would. Find a transcript of the interview mentioned below -- where Kerry makes the "I gave back, I can't remember, 6, 7 . . . ) quote. Not an article about it that incident, but the actual transcript. I'm pretty sure it's out there, as I believe I saw it when this story hit a few days ago.

I'm asking this because you, like millions of others out there, are more capable than I with the net/computer.

The other reason is because I don't believe he used the word "medals". Not such a big deal if people weren't getting so picky about words, but since they are, well . . . . "

Look who is the picky one Very Happy Reese must have taken evasive, defensive speech classes with Kerry.
Morto
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Reese,

I've read most of your comments on this site and I've yet to see you provide credentials to even be participating here. A PM with with a copy of your DD214 might at least qualify you to state an opinion.

In light of Mr. Kerry's questionable service and subsequent traitorous behavior which has been confirmed by the founders of this BB you might want to state what your reasons are for supporting Mr. Kerry to be our CIC.

IMHO, the man was a self-aggrandizing opportunist in Nam and a traitor to his brothers upon his return. I was there in Nam and here when he betrayed both his nation and us. If you wish to excuse his behavior you might want to state your case for doing so. If not, swallow some nouc mam and go trolling in another river!

Here are my creds:

Quote:
Tom Mortensen, BM2 USN September 1965 to November 1969. I extended my enlistment and volunteered for Mobile Riverine duty in Vietnam. I served as a Boat Captain and Patrol Officer in US Navy Task Forces CTF 117 and 116 from November of 1968 to November of 1969. River Division 92, Nov of 68 to March of 69 and was a Plankowner in RivDiv 595/153 serving there from March 69 until November 69. I logged about 20 multi-day assault missions and over 140 combat patrols, all on ASPBs. I participated in about 50 firefights while on the rivers. I was a awarded a Silver Star, a Navy Commendation Medal w/ Combat “V”, and a Purple Heart as well as several unit citations including 2 Presidential Unit Citations. I also have a piece of “friendly fire shrapnel” in my stomach for which I was too embarrassed, apparently unlike Mr Kerry, to request a Purple Heart.

I'm a member of the Mobile Riverine Force Association, a reformed Democrat, and a long-term member of the Republican Party.

DougReese
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morto wrote:
Mr. Reese,

I've read most of your comments on this site and I've yet to see you provide credentials to even be participating here. A PM with with a copy of your DD214 might at least qualify you to state an opinion.

In light of Mr. Kerry's questionable service and subsequent traitorous behavior which has been confirmed by the founders of this BB you might want to state what your reasons are for supporting Mr. Kerry to be our CIC.

IMHO, the man was a self-aggrandizing opportunist in Nam and a traitor to his brothers upon his return. I was there in Nam and here when he betrayed both his nation and us. If you wish to excuse his behavior you might want to state your case for doing so. If not, swallow some nouc mam and go trolling in another river!

Here are my creds:

Quote:
Tom Mortensen, BM2 USN September 1965 to November 1969. I extended my enlistment and volunteered for Mobile Riverine duty in Vietnam. I served as a Boat Captain and Patrol Officer in US Navy Task Forces CTF 117 and 116 from November of 1968 to November of 1969. River Division 92, Nov of 68 to March of 69 and was a Plankowner in RivDiv 595/153 serving there from March 69 until November 69. I logged about 20 multi-day assault missions and over 140 combat patrols, all on ASPBs. I participated in about 50 firefights while on the rivers. I was a awarded a Silver Star, a Navy Commendation Medal w/ Combat “V”, and a Purple Heart as well as several unit citations including 2 Presidential Unit Citations. I also have a piece of “friendly fire shrapnel” in my stomach for which I was too embarrassed, apparently unlike Mr Kerry, to request a Purple Heart.

I'm a member of the Mobile Riverine Force Association, a reformed Democrat, and a long-term member of the Republican Party.

I thank you for your service Tom.

The administrators of this board asked for me to verify my service. I have, apparently to their satisfaction. But just so you know, I was an FO with the 9th Inf Div from March 1968 until Nov, 1968. I then became an advisor, serving on a MATS team in Nam Can District of An Xuyen Province from December 1968 until August 1969.

Someone here asked me to sign a Form 80 online. I said I would sign one in person, with them and anyone else who would like to join us, at a location of their choosing. I have repeated this offer several times, but have yet to see it accepted.

I have given more of my personal info and background than most (all?) of my detractors.

I am voting for John Kerry because I believe him to be the better man for the job.

I have the right to be here just as any other vet.

Doug
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you here, Morto - I've been reading on the brown-water boards for a while, now and I was hoping to see some of you guys show up.

Great board you guys have over there - fascinating stuff. (I was in aviation and never knew much about the "aquaeous" Navy stuff. Wink )
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: