SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Line of Attack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: New Line of Attack Reply with quote

People,

There is a new attack on us coming down the pike. As I half predicted, DU researched John O'Niell's contributions (mainly to GOP candidates) and is going to use it against him and the SBV4T. Read the details here:

www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_5062.shtml

Truth is Beauty
tigger
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article there of course leaves out comments made to Hume on same show than he contributed about twice as much to Democrats during same time frame as he did to Republicans.
stealthy
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't trust that site at all.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And moveon.org and other DNC front groups have donators who've never donated a cent to Democrats? What a joke these people are.
SonTestedShelter
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, what is John O'Neills middle name?
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transcipt from FoxNews Interview with O'Neill:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,129343,00.html

Quote:
HUME: I understand. All right. Now, let's just to talk about you a little further here. There are allegations flying — I saw some of them today on web sites and so on — that you are a Republican activist. And partisan, who has been a registered Republican for the past 20 years or so and has given something on the order of $14,000 to Republican candidates. Your response.

O'NEILL: Well, first of all. Of course, there are 254 guys in our operation, 60 of them won the Purple Heart. I'm only one of many people, but as to me, that is not true either. The actual records, which I actually drawn, show that I have given more money to Democratic candidates than to Republican candidates.

But I'm not a Republican or a Democrat. I have always voted for the person. I have given money for example to Duane Sand who went to the Naval Academy. On the other hand, I have given money to Bill White, who is a Democratic candidate for mayor of Houston. And I've done that because I thought they would be good people.

HUME: Well, what about the 14 grand? Were those contributions you actually did make to Republicans?

O'NEILL: Actually, about half of them were mine and I've given in excess of $25,000 to Democrats over the same 15-year period. About three times as much.

HUME: What about the rest of the other $7,000?

O'NEILL: Those are actually funds, as nearly as I can tell, that were given my law partner who has almost the same name, Edward J. O'Neill. I simply didn't give them. I would have been happy to give them. I just didn't.

HUME: Mr. O'Neill, it's nice to have you. Thank you for coming. Hope we can see you again.

O'NEILL: Thank you very much. Thank you, Brit.

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!!
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Neill should not have even addressed that at all. When Matthews started in on that O'Neill should have responded, "who did you donate to?" There has to be a way to counter this. I just can't think of anyone on the other side that is a counterpart to O'Neill. Anyone have any ideas?
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, how many millions has Soros given Moveon.org?

Anything to paint as dim a picture of the guys as they can.

As to not commenting, I disagree. Since they want to make it an issue that he has donated some $14,000 to Republicans, how better to counter than what he did, that he has donated about $25,000 to Democrats?

Since they want to make donations known, make it backfire on them, list that he has donated more to Democrats than Republicans. Also, might not be too bad of an idea to remind them that he was taped in the Nixon Whitehouse tapes saying he and his family had voted for Hubert Humphrey in 1968, not Nixon.

If they wish to run with this, those two comments alone should pull the wind out of their sails.
Wolfgang
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing to remember is that they're not going to take O'Neill's word on any of this since they already know (ahem...) that he's a rabid Republican out to destroy a true American War Hero, etc. etc.

So he needs to be able to document these claims about giving--otherwise, what the press reports that the documents say will stand as the truth in the public's mind.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being as he is an Attorney, I'm sure he has documentation of them. If so, I hope he makes them available as well. SInce they found documentation to what was given to the Republicans, there should also be similar documentation as to what he gave Democrats, I would think.
Wolfgang
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Lew.

And let me say, thanks for your work on this project. It's important.

One apology: being unfamiliar with the site, I mistakenly took Capitol Hill Blues to be a news site, whereas it's in fact a liberal opinion/analysis site.

Obviously, the MSM generally blurs that distinction a bit, but I'd give CHB much less credibility than the Washington Post, e.g. I think I recall reading some other strange stories on there in the past--weirdly critical of Bush based on anonymous disgruntled insider reports, supposedly.
MassInd
Seaman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd say they're a teeny bit biased. Take a look at their latest headlines:
>>>>>>>>>>>>
CHB Investigates. . .
Latest Headlines

Swift Boat Vets Leader Adds More Lies to His Resume
Another Swift Boat Vet Lied in Anti-Kerry Ad, Book
Swift Boat Vets Honcho Lied About Political Activity
GOP Viet Vet Says Kerry Attackers 'Lying...Without Decency'
Anti-Kerry Author's Slurs Welcomed on Right-Wing Bulletin Board
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Couldn't find any "Kerry Misspoke on Cambodia" headlines though.
PENJ
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All contributions are recorded and then sent to the Federal Election commission. While it might be tedious to do the research, there are documents submitted by the candidates that list full name and addresses of all contributors.
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What difference does it make who he legally donated money to? I bet Kerry's trail of donations includes exclusively liberal Democrats. Should he be called a liar for that?

Isn't it amazing that they can devote that much effort into finding out who O'Nell donated to (and leave out all the Democrat donations), and yet, can't seem to find the time to investigate the allegation he makes.

They don't even ask Kerry if they are true!!

Josef Goebbels would be proud of the way McTavish repeats the work "lie" in that screed.
PENJ
Former Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimsdale wrote:
What difference does it make who he legally donated money to? I bet Kerry's trail of donations includes exclusively liberal Democrats. Should he be called a liar for that?

It is relevant, in my view, because O'Neill denies that he is a Republican. Now, we know that he met with Nixon and his people as he prepared to debate Kerry in 1971, that he attended and was honored at the 1972 Republican National Convention, and that he clerked for William Rehnquist later on.

O'Neill now says that he hasn't voted for a Republican in 1988 (in the Hardball debate). OK, it can't be confirmed for whom one has voted. Donations, on the other hand, are a matter of public record. Official party affiliation may also be a matter of public record, as well as the work and affiliations of the people he has worked with as a lawyer.

Look, whether or not he is a Republican or Democrat does not impinge on his credibility, but here O'Neill is specifically denying that he is a Republican. Given his associations with Republicans in the past and in the formation of this organization in the present, he is going to be questioned on that assertion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: