SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memorable Quotes From "Unfit For Command"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Memorable Quotes From "Unfit For Command" Reply with quote

There are moments in “Unfit for Command” that either move me or piss me off. Either case, these items are important enough to me for me to write them down. If you don’t mind, I’d like to share some of them with you.

Page 107 -- In reference to the now very famous line Kerry made during his statement to the Fulbright Committee, “How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?”, O’Neill writes, “Perhaps this is the question that needs to be asked by the American people and answered by John Kerry: Who was the last American POW to die languishing in a North Vietnamese prison, forced to listen to the recorded voice of John Kerry disgracing his service by dishonest testimony before the Senate?”

Page 116 – “Kerry’s false allegations had a profound and long-lasting effect on the American public’s view of the Vietnam-era military. Soldiers returning from Vietnam were treated with a degree of contempt that has no parallel in American history, and the image of Vietnam veterans as murderous, drug-addled psychotics persists in American culture to this day.”

Page 117 a statement made by POW Marine 1st Lt. Jim Warner – “What kind of ghoul would exploit my mother and family to claim I was a war criminal while I was in a North Vietnamese prison? How could someone do something like this for political advantage?”

Page 118 – No foreign enemy ever dealt so direct and devastating a blow to the morale of America’s armed forces and its veterans than John Kerry did. He struck directly and falsely at the honor of their services, the glue binding all units together.”

Page 120 Bernard Wolff quote – “We look at Vietnam. After all these years, it is still languishing in isolated poverty and helplessness and tyranny. This is John Kerry’s legacy. I deeply resent John Kerry’s using his Swift Boat experience, and his betrayal of those who fought there, as a stepping-stone to his political ambitions.”

Page 122 Toi Dang quote – “His testimony was all lies. He is a brother only to other liars – not to my Swift brothers.”

AND THE QUOTE THAT REALLY HITS HOME –

Page 123 Robert Elder quote – “It is a fact that in the entire Vietnam War we did not lose one major battle. We lost the war at home, and at home John Kerry was the field general.”
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?”

Another question might be, how do you declare yourself the main hero of what you deemed a "mistake?"
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question.
kate
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one
pg41
Peck: " Kerry follow me no closer than a thousand yards. If you get any closer, I'll teach you what a real Purple Heart is"
lol
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I loved that one, too, Kate!

By the time you get this far in the book, you really have a feel for what a whiny, PITA, self-serving, high-and-right no-load this Kerry guy is and you know you'd have said something similar to a "loose-cannon" individualist in your own unit! LOL!

"Blanket party" - all you usually had to do was threaten one to make it work.

The unofficial military justice system.
good_show
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LewWaters wrote:
Quote:
“How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?”

Another question might be, how do you declare yourself the main hero of what you deemed a "mistake?"

Well said.
Support_The_President
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Book Stores Not Carrying "Unfit for Command" Reply with quote

This is my first time posting a msg, so bear with me if I'm not posting this correctly.

I've heard that several book stores are refusing to carry "Unfit for Command", yet they carry Michael Moore, etc.

People shouldn't have to order it online to circumvent the censorship of the book stores due to the personal political opinion of the managers. I haven't come across any book stores that refuse to carry any "anti-Bush" material, though... hmmmm. Makes you wonder!

When asked why they aren't carrying it, the reply from a manager was "Because it's full of lies."

Talk about outrageous! Who are they to even make that determination anyways? I doubt the daily duties of a book store manager include verifying the veracity of every book they carry. If that was the case, as his argument implies, then they would have to throw out the Bible, too, G-d forbid!

Unless the store becomes strictly 100% prooven non-fiction, I don't think they have any business censoring what political information is appropriate for the public to access.

What do you think?

P.S Just out of curiosity, how much farther would Kerry have to go before he could be brought up on charges of treason? I know, wishful thinking.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, he would probably already be up on charges. The times are different.

As for the bookstores... what can you do? Is a personal boycott possible for you?

Booksamillion.com is selling and shipping. I always get good service from them.
P. Aaron
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Page 120-121

...Senator George Aiken of Vermont asked John Kerry what would happen in South Vietnam if America withdrew from the war:

Mr. KERRY:...But I think, having done what we have done to that country, we have an obligation to offer sanctuary to the perhaps 2,000, 3,000 people who might face, and obviously they would, we understand that, might face political assasination or something else. But my feeling is that those 3,000 who may have to leave the country---

Senator AIKEN: I think you estimate might be a little low...".
gospelmidi
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Lt(jg) Kerry was not the only VVAW. Reply with quote

There were many, many Vietnam vets who came back disenchanted with the country that had sent them off to die and didn't want them back alive.

I returned to the states at the end of '69 and was honorably discharged to ready reserves in '70. Thereafter, I made it plain to everyone I knew that we were inadvertently killing a lot of non-combatants whom we couldn't distinguish from the VC, that the peasants in the rice paddies couldn't care less who was in charge in Saigon, that we were propping up a corrupt regime in Saigon for the financial benefit of American corporations, and that keeping open that corrupt regime's connection to heroin from the Golden Triangle had something to do with us being there.
http://www.drugtext.org/library/books/McCoy/book/notes7.htm

I was living in a farm house out in the boonies, when I wasn't sleeping under bridges. I didn't have a TV or a radio, and I couldn't stand to read the newpaper accounts of the war. John Kerry and Jane Fonda were unknown to me in 1971. But I attended Vietnam war protests anyway.

Now, with 20-20 hindsight, I can see what happened to the boat people after we left. I was in Cambodia in '69 too, but I had no idea that our leaving the area would result in Pol Pot's genocide of two million Cambodians. I'm extremely sorry now that we couldn't save those people's lives.

So, if you want to flame or throw darts at VVAW "traitors", I'm right here. But I didn't think I was a traitor at the time; I thought I was standing up to a murderous military-industrial complex that made billions by carpet bombing enemy installations and napalming men, women, and children whose only crime may have been dawdling while distancing themselves from VC or NVA structures. However, I never saw any such atrocities myself. . .

Last edited by gospelmidi on Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
RideAHarley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: My Opinion so far.. Reply with quote

Ya know what guys.. I knew Kerry was a bottom feeder before I got my copy of Unfit. But since I finally got my hands on a copy the other day, and now that I am more than half way through it, I can't believe, I literally can not believe what that man (I hate even calling him a man) got away with.

No wonder the Swifties are so up in arms. I can not believe JFK wrote his own ticket to all the purple hearts and medals. What I don't understand is, where the hell was the Navy when all this was going on and how could they allow it. Someone HAD to think, this is either the greatest warrior since (lets use his hero, Ghengis Chan) or there is something seriously wrong here.

How can a man write his own ticket for medals and then keep changing his story over and over again (and I'm just talkin the paperwork that goes along with them, not the 35 years of lies since).

The guys in the book were right about one thing. If they hadn't gotten him out of there after just 3 months the silver and bronze mines would have gone out of business supplying all the raw material for the medals Kerry would have continued to nominate himself for. If the guy had stayed there for a full tour they would have had to make his uniform out of Kevlar to keep all the medals from rippin out. The man was a medal whore !!

It is still absolutely amazing.. 3 months, 3 purple hearts and all those medals and never bled and not a stitch or broken bone.

Semper Fi
RideAHarley.com - Prescott, Arizona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: