SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry ad hits back at veterans group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Kerry ad hits back at veterans group Reply with quote

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/politics/index.ssf?/base/politics-5/1092925449298840.xml&storylist=electionmi

Kerry ad hits back at veterans group
8/19/2004, 10:11 a.m. ET
By LIZ SIDOTI
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — A veteran who served with John Kerry in Vietnam testifies that the Democrat "risked his life to save mine" in a television ad his presidential campaign rolled out Thursday to counter a spot that claims Kerry lied about his war record.

"All these Viet Cong were shooting at me," says Jim Rassmann, who was thrown off of the swift boat Kerry was manning. "I expected I'd be shot. When he pulled me out of the river, he risked his life to save mine."

The 30-second ad argues that the Navy documented Kerry's "heroism and awarded him the Bronze Star."

It also accuses Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, which ran commercials in West Virginia, Ohio and Wisconsin, of being funded by President Bush's "big money supporters." The group is funded in part by Houston homebuilder Bob J. Perry, a GOP donor.

By running ads this month, Kerry is deviating from his decision to forgo advertising until September to save money. Spending any now is a risk for Kerry, who must make his $75 million general election government check stretch five weeks longer than Bush, whose spending isn't limited until he accepts his party nomination.

However, letting the attacks go unanswered in West Virginia, Ohio and Wisconsin could be even more costly for Kerry. The states are three of the most competitive and are home to socially conservative Democrats.

An affiliate of liberal interest group MoveOn.org hit back with its own ads criticizing the veterans' claims in the three states. However, with his own ads, Kerry can precisely control the message.
lolajl
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now they're firing back. Anyone know what is on the agenda for SWVT appearances today? How soon will the SWVTs move on this?
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lolajl,

It needs to be soon....as in TODAY. Otherwise no one will bother to listen to us again.

Truth is Beauty
lolajl
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, I definitely agree. I have to assume that because we're not hearing anything from anybody in the know, it means that they're planning out their responses and putting in calls at the moment I'm writing this.
nickb
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polaris wrote:
Lolajl,

It needs to be soon....as in TODAY. Otherwise no one will bother to listen to us again.

how could no one see this coming? if his medals are disputed by people who won medals in some of the same engagements, of course this will come up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: