SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The real hurt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JCCremer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: The real hurt Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my sense of the real issue is not so much what Kerry did in Viet Nam, but what he did after he got back.

Having said that, I think that a few points about his service are worth bringing up. We all know some warriors who got medals they didn't really deserve as well as some real heros who should have been recognized, but weren't. That's the breaks and nobody ever said life was fair. We can argue all day about Kerry's deserving what he was awarded. The Swiftees are to be commended for trying to set the record straight, but fighting the official written documentation, regardless of it's validity, is exceedingly difficult, if not virtually impossible.

Official documentation is not always as it seems. Somebody gave Kerry command of a boat and it's crew. In my Army experience as a higher commander, you usually get subordinate commanders either because you inherited them or you appointed them. In either case, you have a vested interest in helping them be successful, as your success rides on theirs. If you appointed a loser, your judgement is questionable. I don't know what the Navy system was, but suspect it was similar to that of other services. When confronted with a loser you were faced with a difficult decision--either back them, bust (relieve) them, or hope their DROS takes them out of your hair. Practically speaking, you try to make them look as good as you honestly can until their incompetence or behavior becomes intolerable. Then you bite the bullet and relieve them, taking the heat for either appointing them or tolerating them as the case may be. If they are eligible to rotate out early, you just utter a prayer of thanks and help it along. I don't think it's an accident that Kerry got some decent report cards and that his early rotation was welcomed.

To get around to the point, this accounts for a lot of inflated efficiency reports on less than outstanding individuals. No one should give too much weight to a single report, but should look at all the reports over a career to determine whether a commander is truly outstanding or whether he is just being carried because he was not disruptive enough to warrant relief. I would love to see ALL of Kerry's efficiency reports!

Having that off my chest, Kerry's anti-war antics have been festering in my craw for years and I thank the Swiftees for helping open the national forum. He dishonored and injured us. I shudder at the idea of this person being Commander in Chief of the military for which he has shown so much contempt, both as a protester and as a senator. To me, that is the real hurt.

John C. Cremer

[/u][/b]
Let the truth be known. I'm with you guys and Kerry insulted all of us with his anti-war activities. Let's hold him accountable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: