SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Military awards for political gain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George F. Thompson
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Military awards for political gain. Reply with quote

A large amount of attention has been given to John Kerry's award of the Silver Star, Bronze Star/V and three purple hearts while stationed in the RVN. A lesser known fact is that Lyndon Baines Johnson was also awarded the Silver Star for combat action during WWII. It seems, LCDR Johnson, USNR, was one of our nations first congressman to volunteer for duty in the armed forces. You can read the citation to accompany the award on www.history.navy.mil/faqs/fac60-6.htm and get the full story about his gallant exploits at, edition.cnn.com/SPECIAL/2001/johnson.silver.star/story/storypage.html it appeard that LCDR Johnson was assigned to an Army Air Corps B-26 as an observer. The aircraft with a flight of 7 more were to bomb and strafe a Japanese occupied island. the only problem was the aircraft Johnson was assigned to developed generator problems and had to return to base. The closest Johnson got to the island was 80 miles. For this heroic and gallant endeavor, Johnson receieved our nations 3rd highest military honor. Only problem was, no one else on this mission receieved any medals, not even an Air medal. Johnson can be seen in several photos proudly displaying his Silver Star lapel pin. His total active service amounted to about 8 months before Franklin Roosevelt recalled Johnson to Washington D.C. as vital to the war effort. Lt.jg John F. Kennedy was assigned to Patrol boat 109. We're all familiar with the associated story and the myth perpetuated by Hollywood and Kennedy's supporters. If Kennedy's combat exploits were so heroic why did the Navy only award him the Navy/Marine Corps medal? How in the hell could the skipper of a patrol boat allow his boat to be cut in half by a Japanese destroyer? They were dead in the water. Some men were standing watch while others were sleeping. One man was killed and several others were severely burned. What should have been a court martial for dereliction of duty for any other naval officer resulted in an award for Kennedy. Of course any other naval officer did not have Joe Kennedy as a father, rich, powerful and influential. After Kennedy's combat exploits he was reassigned state side to convalesce in a military hospital close to home. I assume a field hospital in theater wasn't adequate. My point is, has a politician ever used his military awards to gain political advantage? You bet they have. Is Kerry any different, I think not. Kerry can honestly say he was awarded his medals. Did he earn them? thats a matter of opinion. For a man who was supposedly anti war even before joining the Navy and his antics while being associated with VVAW, one could assume Kerry, the consumate politician may have had an agenda. It makes me sick to hear Kerry claim his service to our country was honorable. It was anything, but. Kerry is a dispicable human being who should be ashamed of how he portrayed the Viet Nam veteran.

I hope I have done this correctely, I have not been using a computer for very long. which is probably evident. I'm not a swift boater, I did however serve in the United States Navy from 1965 to 1970 and in the United States Air Force from 1972 until my retirement in 1988. I served a combat tour with the 16th Special Operations Squadron, AC-130 gunships, at Ubon, Thailand and Hurlburt Field, FL. I just recently came across this site. Your doing a terrific job, BZ. I'm really glad to see you have a Vets only forum. Some of the left wing, liberal mind set comments of some of the members was a bit much. However, in our society they are entitled to their opinions. We as veterans know what sacrifices were made to give them this entitlement. One would do well to remember the words of the 19th century philosipher, John Stuart Mill...
" War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fiight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself..."
Thanks for letting me sound off.

George F. Thompson, Msgt, USAF, Ret
Montana
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your post.
I was familiar with the Kennedy story, but unfamiliar with
Johnson´s.

Your transition from US Navy to US Air Force is interesting.
I knew one guy years ago who tried them all. He put
4 years in, got out and went into another branch, then another.
Don´t know if he went full circle or not.

On a Kerry note, seems I heard they´re (Hollywood) making
a movie on his ¨heroism¨ as well.

On an ironic note, seems to me Kerry´s chain of command
had mixed feelings about his action beaching his boat
and chasing down a wounded man...and then killing him. Senior
officers didn´t know whether
to court marshal him or give him a medal. Probably
the same for Kennedy that day he manuevered his boat across
the path of an oncoming ship.

Montana
95 bxl
Seaman

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out why Jessica Lynch got the Bronze Star for being in a car wreck during an ambush.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

95 bxl wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why Jessica Lynch got the Bronze Star for being in a car wreck during an ambush.

All POW's are given the Bronze Star, now. I believe that started in the first Gulf War.
Marine4life
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings to all Veterans. I was a Marine for 8 years and my son is now a Marine serving abroad. What troubles me is that we all have our rich history, USMC, USAF, USN, USCG, USA and this twit is willing to sacrifice it all for his personal gain. I served along side the Navy for 8 years and sailed on her ships and inspite of the history of the Marines and Navy having a squable or two I as a Marine would not sell out my Navy brothers. It is evident that someone who should hold the Navy sacred is willing to sell her out, guess Kerry has his price. I saved an 80 year old mans life who I found drowning off the coast of Oceanside,Ca. in 1987. He lost his life line to his sailboat and couldn't get back. My friend and I heard the calls for help and we went out there to find him floating face down. We got him into my boat and breathing again. Nothing was ever said except thank you from that elderly gentelman, and thats all I needed to hear. I hope someone is willing to do the same for me without expecting something in return. There are many real hero's in this world and they are the ones you will never hear about because they do it unselfishly. I get my reward from knowing that his grandchildren could spend another day with him, Semper FI.
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: LBJ Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on LBJ. I had forgotten that his reserve duties actually involved service outside Washington.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
jalexson
PO3

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Lynch Reply with quote

Keep in mind that initially some believed that reports of heroic action in the incident implied Jessica Lynch had fired at the Iraqis.
"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoe making and fetched up in journalism on their way to the poor house."
-- Mark Twain
Montana
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine4life wrote:
I served along side the Navy for 8 years and sailed on her ships and inspite of the history of the Marines and Navy having a squable or two I as a Marine would not sell out my Navy brothers. Semper FI.

Hi Marine4life

I doubt if there are any Marines squabling with Navy Corpsmen
in Iraq right now. Ditto for those stationed together on
Amphibs in the Persian Gulf and eastern Med. But I know what you mean...

Montana
USN 64-95
Greenhat
LCDR

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lynch Reply with quote

jalexson wrote:
Keep in mind that initially some believed that reports of heroic action in the incident implied Jessica Lynch had fired at the Iraqis.

PFC Lynch's Bronze Star is without "V" device, meaning it is not for valor but for meritorious service. Starting just after WWII, it has become common to award POWs with Bronze Stars.
spook
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

95 bxl wrote:

If you had spent even a day in the military (other then doing weird things to your GI Joe) you would now that you can get a bronze star for doing a good job filing.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as medals for political gain go, Benedict Arnold was a decorated veteran as was Adolf Hitler. It takes much more than just being a decorated veteran to qualify one for becoming the leader of the free world.

Kerry's wishy washy stance shows me he isn't. Bush's decisive action shows me he is.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook wrote:
95 bxl wrote:

If you had spent even a day in the military (other then doing weird things to your GI Joe) you would now that you can get a bronze star for doing a good job filing.

Spook,

A little advice if you don't mind.

Just because 95bxl didn't know the award regs for a bronze star doesn't mean he didn't serve. I know there are a lot fake vet trolls here but give the guy an opportunity to "vet" himself before you start doubting his service.

I spent 4 years, 2 months, and 10 days in the Navy from '65 to '69 including a year on ASPB's in the Mekong Delta and either I never learned the bronze star award regs or have forgotten them in the intervening 35 years.

Think it might me that simple an explanation for 95bxl too? Very Happy

Keep your flak jacket on and sit on your pot! Now! Is that a steel pot or smokable pot. Either one works but what did I really mean? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: