SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry campaign trying to get book recall
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Kerry campaign trying to get book recall Reply with quote

found information about this little tidbit on DU

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/08/19/swiftbook/index.html

Quote:
Unfit for bookstores
The Kerry campaign calls on a conservative publisher to withdraw book after the Washington Post torpedoes the veracity of a Swift boat veteran.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Eric Boehlert

Aug. 19, 2004 | The Kerry campaign has told Salon that the publisher of "Unfit for Command," the book that is at the center of the attack on Kerry's military record by the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, is retailing a hoax and should consider withdrawing it from bookstores. "No publisher should want to be selling books with proven falsehoods in them, especially falsehoods that are meant to smear the military service of an American veteran," said Kerry campaign spokesman Chad Clanton. "If I were them, I'd be ducking under my desk wondering what to do. This is a serious problem."

Even some uncomfortable Republicans might breathe a sigh a relief if "Unfit for Command" were to vanish from bookstores: "I don't think the Swift Boat Veterans are helping the Republican cause," Rep. Christopher Shays, R-Conn., remarked on CNN Thursday.

Yanking the title may seem unlikely given the fact that Regnery Publishing, the conservative shop that is home to fire-breathing right-wing partisans like Ann Coulter and David Limbaugh, is behind the book. Thanks to the big-spending campaign of the Republican veterans group, which is bankrolled by major Bush contributors, the book has already hit bestseller lists and is sure to turn a big profit.

But there is a long-standing tradition by reputable publishers of withdrawing titles that prove to be hoaxes or frauds. Just last month Random House's Australian unit was forced to pull an international bestseller after it was determined to be a fabrication. The book, "Forbidden Love," allegedly detailed the death of a Jordanian woman, murdered by her Muslim father after he discovered she was seeing a Christian man. After questions were raised, an internal investigation by Random House concluded the book was a fraud.

"Unfit for Command" and the veterans group behind it are facing similar questions Thursday after the Washington Post torpedoed the veracity of one of its key members. Larry Thurlow, who commanded a Navy Swift boat alongside Kerry in Vietnam, has insisted Kerry lied about the circumstances surrounding his Bronze Star award, claiming Kerry's boat never came under enemy fire on March 13, 1969, the day an injured Kerry leaned overboard to scoop wounded Green Beret Larry Rassmann out of the river. But contrary to Thurlow's claim, the Washington Post has reported today that according to his own military files, which recorded the events of March 13, 1969, "enemy small arms and automatic weapons fire" were directed at "all units" of the five-boat flotilla, including Kerry's.

Earlier, Retired Adm. Roy Hoffmann, chairman and co-founder of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, flip-flopped on a key element of his Kerry story. In May, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported, "Hoffmann acknowledged he had no first-hand knowledge to discredit Kerry's claims to valor and said that although Kerry was under his command, he really didn't know Kerry much personally." But with the pending publication of "Unfit for Command," Hoffmann changed his story, insisting he "knew [Kerry] well."

Hoffmann wasn't alone in reversing his story on the Kerry attack. In 1968, Grant Hibbard, a lieutenant commander in Vietnam during Kerry's tour, described Kerry favorably: "One of the top few in his willingness to seek and accept responsibility." But now he claims Kerry lied about his service. Another vocal Kerry critic, Capt. George Elliot, who served in Vietnam at the same time Kerry did, praised Kerry both in a 1968 evaluation ("In a combat environment often requiring independent, decisive action, Lieutenant Junior Grade Kerry was unsurpassed") and as recently as 1996 when Elliot publicly praised Kerry for charging after the enemy.

A Regnery Publishing spokesperson did not return a call seeking comment about the factual cloud over "Unfit for Command." But if Regnery doesn't withdraw the book, perhaps bookstore retailers will at least consider moving the title over to the fiction section.
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say desperate? The libs really don't want people to read this book.Too bad libs, I already have a copy. I think I'll buy another copy to give as a gift.
tngator
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks to the big-spending campaign of the Republican veterans group, which is bankrolled by major Bush contributors

Gee, I guess they forgot to mention the contributions to the DNC in this one, eh? Rolling Eyes
leeinwv
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedom of Speech Where is the ACLU

If he has a complaint let him take the wift boat veterans to court.
jack white
Seaman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time you think the Kerry campaign can't do something more stupid, they do.

First CHRISTMAS IN CAMBODIA.

Now, BANNED IN BOSTON.

John O'Neil and SBVT couldn't buy this much publicity. Watch sales skyrocket even more.
Erica
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I cannot believe that The Kerry "Camp" is trying to ban the book from

selling!!!!!!!!! What about all of the books written on their side threatening

to kill our President ! Where is free speech?? Do the people running the

Kerry campaign think discrediting Veterans looks good???? They are so

stupid.... Im sorry but this takes the cake.. people are going to buy the

book quicker now before it possibly gets banned. You guys keep going no

matter what ! MY heart will be broken if they ban you guys. You know

you've hit home when they start throwing a hissy fit.

F*CK John FIN KERRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Drudge Report headline right now is
"KERRY CAMPAIGN CALLS FOR BOOK BAN"
The Kerry campaign calls on a publisher to 'withdraw book' written by group of veterans, claiming veterans are lying about Kerry's service in Vietnam and operating as a front organization for Bush. Kerry campaign has told Salon.com that the publisher of UNFIT FOR COMMAND is 'retailing a hoax'... 'No publisher should want to be selling books with proven falsehoods in them,' Kerry campaign spokesman Chad Clanton tells the online mag... Developing... at http://www.drudgereport.com

The Kerry-ites are really sweating now. KEEP THE PRESSURE ON.
We have firepower superiority.
We can prove what Kerry can't!
Caleb Flerk
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ban the Book ??

Brilliant. They'll not only increase demand for it but every copy owned will become a collectors item ! Laughing
JonMoseley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: WHAT KIND OF PRESIDENT WOULD KERRY BE? Reply with quote

John Kerry is showing us what kind of PRESIDENT Kerry would be if he were elected. Trying to muzzle Veterans. Trying to ban books. Trying to use the legal process to silence free speech on television. What kind of America would we be living in under John Kerry?
orion2004
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: A letter to John Reply with quote

A letter to John

So you say the Swift Boat Sailors are spewing fiction? Your minions say pull the book cause of the supposed lies in it? Do they also cry to pull that 911 propaganda movie and its proven lies as well? Will we be burning the remaining books next as directed by your goose stepping fascists? I say these real heroes will hold fast and steer directly into your storm! You are going to crumble under the truth! You are now showing how worried you are by the way you answer this truth. With more lies…………….
Show us your medical records John! Show us the reported treatment of the shrapnel you say is in your leg. Prove them wrong! Prove them wrong!

You stuck it to us with the rest of the communist rats who you associated with when you returned. Your lies then have not been forgotten! When I came back from deployment I tried to hide as the public in the early 70’s wanted to spit at and kick me. I could not make friends off base. My shipmates and I got turned away from deals, offers, and opportunities that were offered to the public in Southern California than I care to remember. We got treated like we were vermin. I could not even rent an apartment in the San Diego area as I was “one of them”. And all for what? "doing my duty to my country?" Thanks to people like you John! Thanks a lot. Oh and I did finally get that off base pad from another sailor who had a small place available in National City. Hey RM2 Randy Edwards I remember you! Thanks!
Oh ya back to you John,
You hated us then and you hate us now. Nothing has changed except NOW that it is fashionable you’re using your Veterans status to try and prove you’re a hero to your misguided brainwashed subjects!
More Lies!
I know many a real hero John, Real people who have lived through hell and sacrificed so liars like you can feel superior and be an elitist dictator. These real heroes are still in VA Hospitals with real wounds! They are on the front and in the S**T dodging more lies from you John!
These real heroes are now standing up to you! These real heroes are standing tall and telling the world who you really are!
These are the people who are looking at the face of death once again and are holding the line. The first amendment is still alive and well John or are you and your henchmen going to attempt a hijacking of the Constitution? Your next move will show your TRUE Color and will expose who you really are John.

Face it John, these men are the real heroes, Face the real truth for once John

BRAVO ZULU Swifties!

I just had to say that. I now feel better!
A lone retired Chief
US NAVY VET
1970-1990

USS Kitty Hawk, USS Nimitz, VP, HSL, ASWTSC, NATTC
angrylady
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

What a great letter, think he'll ever read it...
I was thirteen when you came home and at that age was appalled by the way so many treated returning vets. When the leftists started their mantra "we support our soldiers" (Iraq), I knew it would be a matter of time before they started calling them baby-killers. It was just a political ploy, they didn't support you then and don't support our soldiers now.
(Forgive me, I know you're Navy and soldier is not the proper terminology for all the branches, but my heart is in the right place)
JonMoseley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: John Kerry's brown shirts Reply with quote

Wow. I hope you are sending that letter to newspapers as a letter to
the editor (as an "open letter to John Kerry from a veteran").

You speak of Kerry's "minions." Maybe its time to start calling
these minions who try to ban books and silence veterans a
more accurate name: Kerry's Brown shirts. Veterans fought
for the freedoms of all Americans. They deserve the right to
free speech more than anyone.
NayVBrat
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between Kerry filing the FEC complaint against Bush's campaign because of the ads, practically blackmailing tv/radio stations from playing them and trying to have the book banned...I think we should prepare ourselves for a sore loser in November.

He could make the 2000 election drama look like a cakewalk if he loses.
Redview
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't beleve a presidental nom. could poss. be so stupid as to

not even understand in the slightest, human nature.

Any parent worth their salt knows that the minuet you tell someone

NOT to do something, they are just DYING to do it.

DON'T BUY THAT BOOK!

Cripes it'll probably sell over a million copies.

This guy is going to outthink our enemies?

Crap, he couldn't even do battle with a crafty 10 year old.

He does not think out of the box at all from what I can see.

Its funny to me, how stupid they tell us Bush is, on one hand,

but on the other, he is this secritive, evil, crafty, monster.

This guy has got to go.
rsrobinson
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonMoseley wrote:
John Kerry is showing us what kind of PRESIDENT Kerry would be if he were elected. Trying to muzzle Veterans. Trying to ban books. Trying to use the legal process to silence free speech on television. What kind of America would we be living in under John Kerry?

John Kerry was for freedom of speech before he was against it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: