SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Truly disgusting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bach04
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Truly disgusting Reply with quote

I haven't seen this posted in recent threads, and I want to reintroduce this topic if it has already been discussed because I am fuming. But I came across this via Captain's Quarters, and it has my blood boiling! How dare does this cartoonist make a mockery of our veterans like that? This is truly beyond words!

http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/002300.php
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This puts Oliphant in the same category as Ted Rall.

Both are slime.

Zell Miller
goswiftsgo
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Let's blow the bastards outta the water ! Reply with quote

Pat Oliphant is the name of the cartoonist.

and

Minneapolis Star-Tribune is the newspaper.

Anyone get their contact info ?
ETEE
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just smile and let the Kerry backers self destruct. You may see the denigration of our fellow Veterans in that cartoon. But what I see..................Oliphant just bought George Bush another million Veteran votes. Maybe two!!! Laughing
goswiftsgo
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Just gave the paper a piece of my mind ! Reply with quote

http://www.startribune.com/feedback

anyone have a link for olifant (f for french) ?
Scott
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliphant used to be a decent cartoonist. I guess he's been at the Kool-Aid. Laughing
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we thought his sniffing, dismissive treatment of John O'Neill on the News Hour was bad enough. Sad

(oops - sorry - this is not the same Oliphant - thank you to whoever it is down the line that clued me in)

THIS Oliphant ranks almost down there with "he who shall not be named" for defamation of honorable vets. Sad

I'm so sorry, Vietnam Vets. I'm so sorry we live in a culture where this is considered acceptable behavior once again.

WE CAN NOT LET THIS HAPPEN, AGAIN!

Oliphant needs to hear from ALL of us, loud and clear!

Keep it clean, keep it rational but let him know - Vietnam Vets are appreciated and respected in our society, and we are not going to let leftist academics lead us down another anti-soldier path!

Last edited by Navy_Navy_Navy on Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply was addressed to the editor:

Your paper's decision to run the Oliphant cartoon lampooning Viet Nam veterans is unsavory. As editor, you might claim "freedom of the press", but that freedom was bought with the blood of the very veterans that you defile. Do you feel any shame?
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better response than I can write at the moment. Good letter, straight to the point - thank you!
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different Oliphant. Don't know if they are related.
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still don't get it. They just do not get it,
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
DenisC
Seaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY INTERESTING...posted by "Connecticut Yankee" on CAPTAINS QUARRTERS

Two points-- 1) Tom Oliphant's daughter works for the Kerry/Edwards campaign (link at Instapundit). No conflict of interest there, right? ["I'm John Kerry and I approve this cartoon"] 2) Kerry was only too happy to find a Black member of his BOB to speak at the DNC. But I suppose it would be un-PC for Oliphant to include any Black, Hispanic, or Native American guys in his gallery of "stupid white men"? The Left loves to call Republicans racist, but that cartoon trades on the stereotype that the military is full of "white trash." Not that it should matter-- but how many of the Swifties are "veterans of color"? It would be interesting to have their reaction to this cartoon.
Posted by: Connecticut Yankee [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 21, 2004 02:30 PM

bach04
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote this letter to the editor. The link for the feed back section
http://www.startribune.com/feedback

To whom it may concern:

I am disheartened to find out that you have chosen to print the cartoon editorial by Pat Oliphant. This cartoon makes a complete mockery of the veterans who had served their country admirably and honorably. This cartoon is slanderous and unacceptable. Have you not taken into consideration during your decision to run the cartoon the experiences of Mr. Paul Galanti, who was ruthlessly tortured in the prisons of Hanoi? Certainly, this cartoon's implication is that veterans like Mr. Galanti are among the drunken men pictured in that bar. This cartoon is a perfect example of what is wrong with the mass media nowadays and its repeated attempts to silence those who'd wished to be heard. Your decision to print the cartoon illustrates the fact that there is no respect for those who had admirably sacrificed for this nation.
ontheright
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, that IS disgusting. I hope every veteran in the country sees it and has the same blood-boiling reaction to it! Mad
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Print it up on flyers and use it as a badge of honor. Feed that kind of propaganda right back in their face with a smile and a "thank you". they're really showing their desperation with a cartoon like that. Press on, this is nothing but a favor, and they can't deny their feeling about vets after this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: