SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 Purple hearts and you're out? Is that true?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: 3 Purple hearts and you're out? Is that true? Reply with quote

I just heard a news story quoting Bob Dole as saying "3 purple hearts and you're out." I understood that to mean that if a soldier gets 3 purple hearts they are out of the war zone or out of the military. Is that right? If it is, the average american does not know that. And that might well be the reason for Kerry to lie in reports and put himself in for the purple hearts. If true that is a crucial bit of information.

Can someone explain that purple heart policy and/or explain what Bob Dole meant?
Wing Wiper
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you received 3 Purple Hearts you were eligable to leave the war zone, but you could stay in the military.
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ohio Voter, that is the simple message that is going to resonate with the American people. Much of the stuff is too complicated for them to digest but they will learn that this guy gamed the system to engineer 3 purple hearts for bandaid scratches that required no loss of duty time. After 4 months he was out. The guys he left behind with more serious wounds and stayed for the full 12 months were understandably angry. Then when Kerry got home he threw more dirt in their faces by accusing them of war crimes.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 3 Purple hearts and you're out? Is that true? Reply with quote

Ohio Voter wrote:
I just heard a news story quoting Bob Dole as saying "3 purple hearts and you're out."

Apparently a fairly obscure Navy reg which Kerry may have known about, from his time as PR officer on Gridley and the years he was in training. But Wright and others also claim to have confronted Kerry after learning of his third PH. And they suggested he consider reassignment back home.

Quote:
The instruction, titled 1300.39, says that a Naval officer who requires hospitalization on two separate occasions, or who receives three wounds "regardless of the nature of the wounds," can ask a superior officer to request a reassignment. The instruction makes clear the reassignment is not automatic.

LINK
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for all the info.

I have another question, about deferments. I understand Kerry had 4 deferments and failed on the 5th so he enlisted. Doesn't sound to me like he was anxious to do his time in Viet Nam. What was his deferment? College? Is there information what the 5th was?

And about Bush. How many deferments did he take before he enlisted in the Air National guard? Did he run out of deferments? Or did the war end before his were all exhausted?

Jack Mclaughlin wrote:
Yes, Ohio Voter, that is the simple message that is going to resonate with the American people. Much of the stuff is too complicated for them to digest but they will learn that this guy gamed the system to engineer 3 purple hearts for bandaid scratches that required no loss of duty time. After 4 months he was out. The guys he left behind with more serious wounds and stayed for the full 12 months were understandably angry. Then when Kerry got home he threw more dirt in their faces by accusing them of war crimes.
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio Voter,

It is my understanding that Bush had the standard college deferments until joining the National Guard. Not that this is about Bush, but that is my understanding. Most people that could afford college (Kerry and Bush both) were assured of 4 deferments (for four years of college) as I recall.

Truth is Beauty
Ohio Voter
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not wanting to make this thread about Bush. I have not heard the deferment issue discussed concerning Bush. I don't think many people pay attention when someone mentions deferments except when it comes to Bush. I was not in the military but remember people talking about applying deferments for college, family reasons etc. It was pretty common that all deferments were exhausted before joining or waiting to be drafted.

Polaris wrote:
Ohio Voter,

It is my understanding that Bush had the standard college deferments until joining the National Guard. Not that this is about Bush, but that is my understanding. Most people that could afford college (Kerry and Bush both) were assured of 4 deferments (for four years of college) as I recall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: