SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lehrer newshour: Cluelessness about the Internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Lehrer newshour: Cluelessness about the Internet Reply with quote

SwiftVets friends,

NewsHour with Jim Lehrer on PBS was a spectacle tonight.

Correspondent Kwame Holman "examined the debate" over ads questioning John Kerry's actions during and after the Vietnam War, and the impact that they are having on the presidential campaign. Gwen Ifill followed up in a discussion with David Gergen, an advisor to four presidents, now at Harvard, and Kathleen Hall Jamieson, dean of the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania.

Folks, I am going to skip the standard left-wing responses about "the risk to the Bush campaign" (!!), the "distortions" of the SwiftVets, etc. from these latter two "guests", and jump right to a truly astonishing observation.

Both Gergen and Jamieson held that the reason the SwiftVets ads had such a high penetration into the public were due to their being talked about on "cable" and on "talk radio" (their words). Neither mentioned the Internet.

When specifically asked about the effect of the Internet, Kathleen Hall Jamieson, dean of the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania did not even answer the question. She basically changed the subject as I recall.

This is a stunning observation. I do not believe she dismissed the question maliciously. I believe these media and academic "giants" truly do not comprehend the impact of Internet blogs and boards (such as this one). I believe what we are seeing is the effect of technologic backwardness and "computer blockheadism" among members of the "elite" MSM darlings.

In much of my biomedical work, I have made many observations of incompetence regarding information technology and its impact, including in (and perhaps especially in) academic and quasi-academic environments.

I believe this incompetence regarding the impact of IT is the achilles' heel of the Democrats. The Dean of the Annenberg School of Communication at far-left Ivy League school U. Of Pennsylvania was clearly clueless about the impact of the 'net. I can bet that she is one of those executive "technology blockhead" types so clumsy with computers, her secretary has to do her email. Kerry's advisors are also likely to be of the same ilk.

This is a personal opinion, but I think these folks are not mentally flexible enough to grasp the rapid change, and the power of a tool that has been built over a mere decade from university curiousity to something that challenges the supremacy of the conventional MSM itself. The fact that blogging is only two or three years old makes them even less able to grasp the fact that their paradigms are crumbling.

FDL
jwb7605
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fortdixlover:

That is one of the more astute observations I've seen lately.

I'm going to have to print the page out, and read it a few times.
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just goes to prove you can't teach an old dog new tricks...but you can have the Vet put him down! Laughing
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. We saw it last year and very early this year with Howard Dean and his Deaniacs. Well we are the same (except our cause is a lot more noble).

Truth is Beauty
DavidS
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: News Hour on PBS tonight Reply with quote

I just finished watching the program and you have given excellent observations.on the "Guests" approach.

It's unfortunate that Gergen mouthed the standard media approach to this controversy ie; the SBVT acusations have been investigated by the press and found to be false, the ads are a smear campaign orchestrated by the Republicans and paid for largely by a rich Republican donor, etc.

I say it's unfortunate because, as my wife who supports Kerry told me, you have in the past respected Gergen and I do, so I beleive what he is saying.
Chuck54
PO1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: News Hour on PBS tonight Reply with quote

DavidS wrote:

I say it's unfortunate because, as my wife who supports Kerry told me, you have in the past respected Gergen and I do, so I beleive what he is saying.

Do you believe that he believes it or do you believe what he says about the swiftvets simply because he said it? If the latter, then you are not thinking for yourself. If you have not read the book, do it, and research this site. Then if you still believe Gergen, oh well.

Zell Miller
BC
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet ol' Al wishes he never invinted the internet. Cool
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al invented hanging chads too
fortdixlover
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really struck by the inability of the hifalootin' guests to articulate the impact the Blogs and the Internet are having on Kerry's current political troubles.

I would venture to say that more people saw the ads via the Internet than via "cable" and "talk radio" combined. Yet, the guests only mentioned those latter two outlets as the reason why so many people now say they have seen, or have heard about, the SwiftVets and their ads.

For an example of the computer incompetence common in the "elite" crowd, in this case management, see the near half-billion dollar ($500,000,000) computer debacle in the VA Medical System at http://www.sptimes.com/2004/02/19/Tampabay/Senator_hears_out_Bay.shtml . This money has gone down the drain, literally.

(Vets, you may not like it when IT incompetence affects your healthcare, but when it hinders Kerry's ability to obfuscate his record, I guess it's not as terrible a thing.)

FDL
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was really struck by the inability of the hifalootin' guests to articulate the impact the Blogs and the Internet are having on Kerry's current political troubles.

They are the Old School MEDIA. They are used to communication being a One-Way process. From their lips to your ears.

The lovely part of the Intenet is that is a truly interactive medium. Even more so than "Talk Radio". With blogs, you can "multitask". You can get virtually INSTANT response to a query, or refutation or confirmation of a piece of data. Data can be gathered, collated, assembled, fisked, corrected, proofed, printed and distributed in mere minutes.

That they remain clueless is not necessarily a BAD thing.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
DavidS
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: News Hour on PBS tonight Reply with quote

Chuck54 wrote:
DavidS wrote:

Do you believe that he believes it or do you believe what he says about the swiftvets simply because he said it? If the latter, then you are not thinking for yourself. If you have not read the book, do it, and research this site. Then if you still believe Gergen, oh well.

I don't beleive him just because he said it, but my wife does and I suspect there are lots of others out there like her. Unfortunate but true.

I finally got the book and have been researching this site for some time
Dimsdale
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was definitely the internet. The media blackout was almost all encompassing, including many of the so-called conservative talk shows, until the story reached critical mass on the internet discussion sites, blogs etc.

The media was dragged kicking and screaming into this story, and they are still resisting it, at least when they aren't humping for Kerry.

But Kerry and the Dems are getting so ridiculous in their claims and defenses, and O'Neill and other are so forthright and calm in his, that the Kerryites are looking like fools, and most people are starting to wonder about Kerry's veracity.

Kerry has to be sweating harder now than he did during his speech at the DNC convention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: