SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barnes & Noble Says 'Unfit' Sellout Not Its Fault

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdvrk219
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Barnes & Noble Says 'Unfit' Sellout Not Its Fault Reply with quote

Barnes & Noble Says 'Unfit' Sellout Not Its Fault
Bob Tourtellotte
Reuters

Controversial book "Unfit for Command," which fires an election-year salvo at Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry's war record, has claimed one unintended victim -- bookstore chain Barnes & Noble Inc .

Barnes & Noble, the world's largest bookseller, on Monday issued a statement saying it had sold out of the book and, in effect, held up its hands in surrender to what it called "thousands of complaints" from both supporters and detractors of the book.

Supporters, Barnes & Noble said, are claiming the bookseller has intentionally not stocked the title or is hiding it, while detractors are asking stores to remove it altogether.

"(Complaints) started in the stores, and the home office has been inundated as well," said a company spokeswoman.

She said the company's statement was meant to "set the record straight." It is not Barnes & Noble's fault, she said, but rather small publisher Regnery Publishing who cut the chain's original order in half.

"We've been put in the difficult position of having to defend ourselves over a title we can't seem to get enough copies of from the publisher," Barnes & Noble chief executive Steve Riggio said in the statement.

A spokesman for Regnery was not immediately available for comment.

The book, written by John O'Neill and Jerome Corsi, questions the accounts of an attack on Kerry's swift boat during the Vietnam War, and his actions in the subsequent skirmish that led to his receiving a Silver Star medal.

Full Story
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited my local B&N today. Even though I already have a copy and have read “Unfit for Command” I was still very curious as to why there were none available. Now, I know that this topic has been covered very well on this forum, but I think Regnery may find this interesting.

It seemed that the manager became somewhat defensive. He was polite but seemed well rehearsed with his answer. And, his answer shocked me and I still find it very hard to believe.

He began by stating that B&N was the top story leading NPR’s “Morning Edition” this morning where it stated that John Kerry doesn’t want “UFC” sold and that B&N doesn’t want to sell it. He said in actual fact that every book they had on order never made it to the bookshelves because they were all bought by customers beforehand.

Now, the unbelievable part. He said that the publisher was not very smart – they hadn’t planned for it to sell so well and that B&N would not be carrying anymore books, period. I laughed and asked him why B&N wouldn’t carry any more books when it sold so quickly? His response was that the publisher printed only a small number of copies and there was no plan for them to print anymore!!

Does anyone know if the publisher will not print anymore? I really doubt that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: