SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Daily Show and the '96 Senate Endorsement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeriousBoa
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: The Daily Show and the '96 Senate Endorsement Reply with quote

I am a little confused. I know what type of program Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" is, but, last night they were showing an endorsement ad for Kerry in his '96 senate run (I believe the vet was George Elliot doing the endorsing)

This raises two questions:
1) The endorsement mentioned "charging into enemy fire" and heroic action by Kerry
2) Given the charges being made against Kerry, how could the SBVT vet endorse Kerry? Was it because it was just a senate seat and not the President?

I know the Daily Show is left-leaning, but this senate endorsement was not part of a skit. It was real.

Please believe me that I am not trying to start a flame war. It is just that SBVT has made an excellent case against Kerry and this seems to go against the grain.

edit: it was not Larry Thurlow giving the endorsement... sorry for the error.

Last edited by SeriousBoa on Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand from "Unfit for Command," the publication of "Tour of Duty" in ?2003? led to 200+ Swift Boat veterans meeting and realizing they had been lied to and about. Recommend you read the book.
SeriousBoa
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neverforget wrote:
From what I understand from "Unfit for Command," the publication of "Tour of Duty" in ?2003? led to 200+ Swift Boat veterans meeting and realizing they had been lied to and about. Recommend you read the book.

I am planning to, just have to find the time Wink
Thanks for the response, but that doesn't make sense. This vet did not know Kerry lied about Vietnam until 2003? I was 7 when Kerry made his statements before congress and I remember them. This guy was there when one of the 5 boats was mined. His statements in '96 endorsement directly contradict what is being said now.
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the vets, particularly the ones who came back to defend him from war crimes charges (and thereby accusing the Swift Vets of war crimes themselves for not reporting such acts) assumed Kerry got his awards and PH's for things they did not witness.

Many of them were more than a little shocked when they discovered what events Kerry was recognized for. Things they were present for and know were exaggerated, not only in the official record, but even beyond that in stories Kerry told over the years.

Quite simply, they did not know then what they know now.

Kerry's near auto-biography by David Brinkley was definitely the catalyst that got all the Swift Boat vets together and start swapping stories. The chain of command was particularly unfairly ripped and out-right lied about in Kerry's book.

Then seeing him actually campaign on his Vietnam record really got them boiling. He was campaigning for CinC on a myth and after what he said about them in '71 it was just too much for the swift vets. His lack of decency and character did not befit a man running for President.

The Swift Vet decided to tell the truth, no matter the cost. And make no mistake, the cost is high. They are being attacked by all sides, and they are not wavering.

The Swift Vets have not changed their story. It has been the Kerry.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeriousBoa,

I suggest you go back and read the Boston Globe Articles for 1996. Neither man actually endorsed Kerry...even under media pressure. In fact they went at significant length to avoid doing so. All they said was that they thought he did the right thing, and was not a war criminal, and was of generally good character.

At the time, they had no idea that Kerry filed false reports. They didn't go into the field with Kerry for these instances, so they had no reason to disbelieve him. Even so, their press conference (and Kerry barely squeeked by on reelection that year) was a far cry from a positive endorsement.

note: bold emphasis added by admin...good responses Polaris and all. One suggestion tho...could you hyperlink the Boston Globe article?

We need to incorporate this type of response into our FAQ. I would encourage interested parties to join the development of our FAQ in the "Research & Resources" forum.

Truth is Beauty
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeriousBoa wrote:
neverforget wrote:

I am planning to, just have to find the time Wink
Thanks for the response, but that doesn't make sense. This vet did not know Kerry lied about Vietnam until 2003? I was 7 when Kerry made his statements before congress and I remember them. This guy was there when one of the 5 boats was mined. His statements in '96 endorsement directly contradict what is being said now.

You're missing the context of what those men came to defend Kerry for. They did not show up to "endorse" him. They showed up to say that he was not a war criminal (again, thereby incriminating all swift vets for not reporting these things).

They knew what Kerry said in '71, and believe me, they weren't anymore happy about it then they are now. But again, his book smearing the whole unit and making it clear where and when he got his awards, and then actually bragging about it while attacking his chain of command and his fellow swifties... And then running for president as a war hero?
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
SeriousBoa
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I just watched the show segment again. The vet in question was George Elliot (not Larry Thurlow... sorry for the error). Elliot is standing beside Kerry on a dock endorsing him. He mentioned Kerry chasing down an armed enemy. The video shows a very strong endorsement (calling him a hero).

So to re-cap what happened, Elliot:
- heard of Kerry's heroism (Kerry's account)
- endorsed a fellow vet for senate (certainly knowing about Kerry's testamony)
- met other vets to discuss inconsistencies in Kerry's autobiography, speaches, etc.
- realized the deceit and joined SBVT

I am strongly leaning towards the the SBVT version of events. After Kerry's metal toss, testamony, and Cambodia claims, I don't believe him at all. Maybe Elliot could state the chain of events that lead him to make such a strong reversal. Is it in the book?
Polaris
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeriousBoa,

I don't think that Elliot actually endorsed Kerry for Senator. There is a difference. As for what turned him against Kerry, I believe you will find that in the first chapter of Unfit for Command.

Truth is Beauty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: