SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

God Bless you now & for the past

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JROTC
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: God Bless you now & for the past Reply with quote

As a point of introduction, I have not "served". I was involved in JROTC for three years. They told me that if I quite and joined I could enter as an E5. If I finished, I could skip the first two years of ROTC.
I was taught by a Master Sargent - 3 tours in Vietnam, and a Colonel - 2 tours. I remember "Sarg" as being a shorter 5' 7" that scared the s**t out of me - he was the epitome of "Army".
Why did I leave? Simple for me - the MSM and the likes of Mr. Kerry. It's funny that at that young age that I thought I was "so busy" with pimples, girls, mowing lawns, homework, etc. I didn't have - nor took - the time to really learn the news. I relied on the MSN to "feed" me, and feed me they did.
I remember a quote from Winston Churchill, and I'm paraphrasing from what I remember: A young man at the age of 20 years that does not consider himself a Liberal, has not a heart. But, a man at the age of 40 years, that does not consider himself a Conservative, has not a brain.
I left because of what I was hearing about Vietnam from the MSM and from the likes of Mr. Kerry. I knew that my "Sarg" was not the kind of man that Mr. Kerry was speaking about, but I had no other reference to the "debate" - in fairness, I didn't search either.

Now, I've "grown up" - sort of Smile - and have alot more resources for "news" to draw from. I now know alot of what I thought I knew back then was wrong and mis-guided.

I said the above to provide a point of reference from where I'm coming from. It is with this said, that I loudly thank you for your past and present Service!!!

I know now that Vietnam was not lost over there, but on our land. Any of you that served over there have my total respect and admiration. But now, I think you may be fighting an even more important battle - and to think that a shot won't be fired - a battle none the less. Please, keep fighting the "good fight" - at the end of the day, it will be worth it. God Bless!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Thanks Swiftees and POWs! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: