SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No more $300,000 days
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeFlynn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: No more $300,000 days Reply with quote

The commercial playing automatically is the biggest help in raising money.

But the day after swiftvets.com raised $300,000 they changed the site so that people have to click to view the commercial.

Bandwith problems have nothing to do with it. You can always buy more bandwith.

They changed it because they got some complaints from people with slow dial up.

You are going to get complaints no matter what method you use.

Many people are going to skip the ad and go straight to boards, which aren't all that interesting for non vets. What causes people to open there wallets is emotional connection, which only the ad evokes.

If swiftvets.com goes back to the old method of having the commercial load automatically I am 100% sure their donations will rise dramatically.

For what it is worth, I am an expert on internet traffic.

Last edited by mikeFlynn on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many people are going to skip the ad and go straight to boards, which aren't all that interesting for no vets

Mike,

I believe you are mistaken on this point.
There are many many of us non-vets who support the SBVT and are quite compelled by the boards.
Also, I don't think having to press a button to play the feature is having an adverse effect on donations (IMHO).

SOTG
mikeFlynn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proof that having to click to view the is hindering fund raising, is that

swiftvets.com is now getting 10x more traffic then they did on Aug 20th.

anyone can check this out at www.Alexa.com on aug 20th their alexa rank was 33,126 which means they were the 33,126th most visited website.

Today the alex ranking is 3,273.

I have never heard of a site getting 10x as much traffic but less donations.

Since the only thing that was changed about the site was that the commercial no longer plays automatically, one can be 100% sure that this change is the cause.

I hope swiftvets.com wakes up soon.

Last edited by mikeFlynn on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:58 am; edited 5 times in total
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Where did you hear donations went DOWN? I don't believe that is accurate.

SOTG
mikeFlynn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aug 20th was their best day, with $300,000

Aug 21 they changed the site so that you have to click to view the commercial.

Since aug 20th their traffic has increased at least 10 fold . See Alexa.com

This undenialble proof.

Once again, I am an expert on internet traffic and having to click will approximatley half the amount of people who watch the commercial.

Last edited by mikeFlynn on Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:00 am; edited 3 times in total
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you don't answer the question. What donation data do you have besides thursday's reported?
hanna
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a sticky at the top of the board would be great. People do not want to have to download anything. That scares a lot of people half to death and they will be gone, without even having gotten any information.

Also, a lot of the time, the movie doesn't work, so now you have scarred, uninformed and pissed off people. If people want to see the movie, make it available. Pushy advertising is not something people appreciate. That is why all 300 of the people I deliver mail to have a trash can right next to their mail box.
mikeFlynn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanna you are right, people don't like to download, that is why the commercial should play automatically.

AOL, Hotmail and everyone else are loading commercials automatically.
LeastofThese
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any indication that the largest percentage of the hits are NEW visitors, or are they return visitors that come back repeatedly specifically for the news page or the message boards? I log in here several times a day just to read the latest news and posts. I alone probably account for a good percentage of those hits (way more than my share, I bet)!

BTW... I've chosen to donate by check which I'm sure hasn't been received yet. The day money is received is not necessarily the day people were moved to give.

Lastly, for people with dial up, why not just save the forum in your favorites, rather than the home page? I like to go back and watch the commercial from time to time, but on most of my visits here, I come straight to the boards, skipping the home page altogether. To me, the commercial was what piqued my interest, but it's the news, opinions and especially the involvement of our honored Veterans that keep bringing me back.

Rachel in Atlanta

Last edited by LeastofThese on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeFlynn wrote:
Aug 20th was their best day, with $300,000

Aug 21 they changed the site so that you have to click to view the commercial.

Since aug 20th their traffic has increased at least 3 fold maybe as much as 10 fold. See Alexa.com

This undenialble proof.

Once again, I am an expert on internet traffic and having to click will approximatley half the amount of people who watch the commercial.

Undeniable proof of traffic only. There is no proof whatsoever about having to click for the ad and a decline in donations. Some folks think an autoplay is intrusive and wastes bandwidth when thay have SEEN the ad and want more info.

You are an expert on internet traffic.
Are you an expert at ad response and charitable donations, or are you speculating?

SOTG
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The commercial playing automatically is the biggest help in raising money.

I don't believe that statement is accurate either.
I would list John O'Neill's many media appearances, the book, and John Kerry himself above the ability for a spot that autoplays.
People have seen the ad and are drawn to the site for additional info... the ad is there for whoever (whomever?) wants to view it.
The Swiftees have it right.

SOTG
mikeFlynn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeat visits to the boards can not account for a 10 fold increase in traffic over a period of a few days.

The vast majority of those visits were form first timers. And swiftvets lost its chance to convert about half of them.

The swifties have it wrong. No matter why the traffic increased between august 20th and now is not at issue.

If you have 10 times as much traffic, you should have a signigicant increase in donations.

It is the people who don't want to watch the ad who need to see it the most.

There is no point in preaching to the choir.
Son Of The Godfather
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeFlynn wrote:
Repeat visits to the boards can not account for a 10 fold increase in traffic over a period of a few days.

The vast majority of those visits were form first timers. And swiftvets lost its chance to convert about half of them.

What do you base your conversion stats on?
First timers are obviously aware of the story and have come for more info.
If they haven't seen the ad, they have the opportunity to do so.
If they have (more likely with all the coverage), they can enter the site for additional info.

You may be an expert at internet traffic, but I believe the SwiftVets have done their research and their plan is working.

SOTG
mikeFlynn
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get very detailed stat info at Alexa.com

I happened to check the alexa rank on aug 19th and it was 33,126

Today it is 3273, which represents a huge increase in traffic.

Once you are in to the top 10,000 sites it takes a huge amount of traffic to move up.

So the question remains, why was august 20th such a blockbuster day for donations.

Answer, even though the site was getting less traffic, more people were viewing the ad. People have to be moved emotionally to open their wallets. Only the commercial can do that.
GenrXr
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So the question remains, why was august 20th such a blockbuster day for donations

That was the day after Chris Mathews attacked Michelle Malkin over her defense of the swifites on MSNBC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Resources & Research All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: