SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looking for jarheads 1968-1972

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retiredmilitary50563
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: looking for jarheads 1968-1972 Reply with quote

platoon 246....MCAS Santa anna, Marble mountain....cherry point
march68 oct68-feb69 mar69-feb70 mar70-jan72
Detective
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got any names?
RaceBannon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: looking for jarheads 1968-1972 Reply with quote

retiredmilitary50563 wrote:
platoon 246....MCAS Santa anna, Marble mountain....cherry point
march68 oct68-feb69 mar69-feb70 mar70-jan72

Sorry, USMC 1077 to 1981
Detective
Seaman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm.....MCAS Santa Ana...in California? or are you talking about the old Tustin MCAS or EL Toro MCAS? I have some great marine contacts from those now defunct/closed bases (Thanks KLINTON, you moron)outside of that..kinda hard to work on it unless some Marines pop in here and add info..sorry buddy.if you ever do come up with anything I can work with just let me know here and I will be happy to follow up on it.

All the best,
John the Detective
Fred Pfeiffer
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retiredmilitary50563,

Is there anyone in particular that you are looking for?

If they were a helicopter Marine, I would suggest that you visit:

www.popasmoke.com

The USMC Combat Helicopter Association. They have a huge membership database (5600+).

I was in the Marine Corps from Feb 1966 to Feb 1970.

After Boot Camp at San Diego and ITR at Camp Pendleton, I attended 'A' and 'C' schools at NAS Memphis, Tenn from June 1966 to March 1967.

After that, I was stationed at MCAS Cherry Point, NC and joined my first squadron, VMGR-252 (flying KC-130s). I remained with that squadron until November 1967 when I was rotated to Vietnam.

In Vietnam, I was stationed at MMAF (Marble Mountain Air Facility) with temporary duty assignments at Quang Tri combat base, from Dec 1967 to Jan 1969. I was with HMM-265 (flying CH-46s) and later HMH-463 (flying CH-53s). I flew as a door gunner with HMM-265 from Jan 1968 to Aug 1968.

After I returned back to CONUS from Vietnam, I was stationed at MCAF (Marine Corp Air Facility) Santa Ana, Ca (also know as LTA [Lighter Than Air] Tustin) from Jan 1969 to Feb 1970. At LTA, I was with two squadrons, HMM-163 (flying UH-34s and later CH-46s) and after that I was with HMM-265 (flying CH-46s) when that squadron arrived back from service in Vietnam.

I hope that the popasmoke.com link is helpful.

Semper Fi,
Fred
BigAl533
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: looking for jarheads 1968-1972 Reply with quote

RaceBannon wrote:

Sorry, USMC 1077 to 1981

Talk about Old Corps! This guy really has been around since Christ was a LCPL! Laughing

Big Al
RaceBannon
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know how to spell, I just dont know how to type sometimes! Smile
BigAl533
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to slip that in, bannon. It don't mean nothin'.

For the record...

VMA(AW)121
MAG-14 2nd MAW
MCAS Cherry Point, NC

June '70 - January '72

Later served with VMA(AW)533, Task Force Delta, Nam Phong, Thailand. Our A-6s flew support sorties and took out "targets of oppertunity" over North Viet Nam in Operation Linebacker and Linebacker II. My proudest claim was that our Pilots and BNs took out SAMs so the USAF could bomb the crap out of the gooks! ELEVEN DAYS in December 72, and the gooks threw in the towel. We coulda done it in 65 if Johnson had had a backbone.... He was so... so... Kerry!

I didn't realize what we had done, really, until I heard Sen. John Mc Cain say he knew the war was over when he heard the bombs falling while he was at the Hanoi Hilton. He said they could see the FEAR in their captors faces.

Sadly, we lost three birds during the operations, three Pilots and two BNs. Only one, Lt Kroboth, came back alive...

Big Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Looking for a shipmate? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: