SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Humbly signing on to honor you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pajoly
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Humbly signing on to honor you Reply with quote

Dear all,

While not feeling worthy of being called a "vet," I am an honorably discharged active duty veteran. My service was brief and in a period of relative tranquility in the mid-80's. Not being a combat veteran like many of you, I feel almost sheepish, but I am comfortable in the knowledge that I freely signed that dotted line giving Uncle Sam claim to life and limb.

I was Army, originally 05C (radio teletype), which became 31C, but I acquired an ASI of V9 (satcom terminal operator) that put me in a Pershing II nuke missile battery in what was then West Germany. The only danger we faced were agitated protestors and a weird phenomenon of static charge build-up in the 1st stage solid rocket fuel that caused 5 of my fellows to be killed when it ignited due simply to a PMCS tightening of the ground strap.

Anyway, the Colors fly high at our household, which overlooks the well-trod hills of Camp Pendleton. My young daughters drift to sleep as freedom's lullaby is sounded by the earnest artillery training in those hills. (I am proud to note that the first word my daughter asked me to spell was "America flag.") So I'm here to show my support for the brave efforts of these few humble men -- you men who returned unheralded to an openly hostile nation then quietly went about building and re-building your lives.

You could have continued on that path in anonymity. Instead, you remembered your vows and remembered your buddies who suffered with you and those who did not make it home. You refuse to let their service be defiled by calculated ambition, by one who chose to be a "turncoat" for political expediency as surely and as facile as he today trots out a claim to "war hero" status. For you, honor is not a hobby. And damn sure it is not a strategy.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never feel peacetime service is lesser. Just because you didn't serve in combat doesn't mean that you weren't prepared and may have been called to duty. Any service is appreciated and maintaining a strong standing for over 50 years is what finally ended the Cold War.

Hold your head high and welcome.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard pajoly!

Beautiful letter - I know it will bring a smile to the Vietnam Vets here. That's what many of us peacetime vets are doing here - we are supporting our brothers and sisters.

Thanks for joining us.
Spiess
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well writen, Amazing how vets from all services all times can come to anothers aid in time of need. I am proud I served, more so then ever before. Welcome.
ALMOUNT
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Humbly signing on to honor you Reply with quote

Pajoly wrote:
While not feeling worthy of being called a "vet,"
that caused 5 of my fellows to be killed

Welcome aboard...we couldn't all have been in the infantry.

I consider your service just as honorable as anyone's.

We are in a serious struggle here, as you described so well..

All volunteers are graciously welcome.

http://www.DELTARAIDERS.COM

I killed a six pack....just to watch it DIE
lundymicron
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: We were the lucky ones Reply with quote

Pajoly,

Those of us who served in the 1980's were very lucky. We served under Ronald Reagan and very few of us were ever called to combat. But as Lew said, we were ready...

I am so glad to see the military getting the respect it is due FINALLY, from the general population. Long overdue and the VietNam era vets deserve great credit for their service and real apologies from the likes of traitors such as Hanoi Jane and that flippin' Kerry jerk.
chunderman
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully a majority of us throughout history have served in peacetime. A major reason for that was because of those veterans who did fight and took care of business to achieve peace.

“Power perceived is power achieved”.
steamer51
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Vets are Vets no matter how or when they served Reply with quote

I have the greatest respect for combat veterans of war yet all veterans
should be honored. We all had a choice to make and made the right one.
Even draftees could have run away or gone to jail, but they chose to serve.

I am a Viet Nam "Era" USNR vet 71-79, active 72-74 whose draft number
was drawn after I was already in boot camp. Not a good place to find out
your number is 265 and not likely to be called, but absolutely no regrets.
I served with many who joined the Navy to avoid the draft and Viet Nam
yet they all served honorably and none were traitors or communist
sympathizers like Kerry. Any vet could have been called to combat if fate
had demanded a war while they were in the service. While I personally
was not called to serve in Viet Nam, a fellow "A" school graduate joined
the Navy to avoid Nam and got into communications because it was mostly
shore based at the time and he did not want to go to sea. First duty
station out of school was a ship in Nam, so you never know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: