SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al French Getting Hammered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rovercop
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Al French Getting Hammered Reply with quote

Rovercop greets,

Viewing your ads, interviews, and perusing this site these past weeks, I've been impressed by your focus and resolve. Godspeed.

Pardon if this has been previously posted (I couldn't find it):

Al French is getting HAMMERED at the local level, opponents are on fire - a priority news item in Oregon / Southwest Washington. May likely draw national media.

He may need your support. Soon.

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?id=70418

"Clackamas County veterans are calling for the resignation of an assistant district attorney who appeared in television ads attacking Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's military record."

Warmest Regards

Rovercop
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seem to be very vague about what exactly he "lied" about and what exactly he "admitted to".

In the video the veteran calling for his resignation is standing right next to a man with with a Kerry button. It looks to me like they're trying to make Al French pay for his involvement with the ad.

Where I come from trying to take away a man's livelihood because of his politics is called blacklisting. The left usually hate that sort of thing. Curious, they seem to be very supportive of a lot of things they usually claim to hate.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180

Last edited by tvaughan on Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lily
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an odd story, what Al French said in the ad was

"I served with John Kerry"

"He is lying about his record"

Which of those statements is false?
Rovercop
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that.

I considered that the media may have attributed a statement of truth (his being there) to an incident in which he was not - therefore spinning his credibility into a falsehood.

Keep up the great work - am proud of and lobbying for you guys.

Rovercop
nightingale97
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's in the picture with Kerry and the others so he must have known something about his performance and credibilty. Question
drjohn
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that article:

"Mr. French signed an affidavit defaming John Kerry's military service and then he admitted that he had no first-hand knowledge of what he swore to," Stewart said on Monday. "Someone who the community trusts to carry out the law cannot be lying in sworn, legal affidavits."

Gee- of who else could this be said?

Didn't Kerry do EXACTLY the same thing?

Aren't they on kind of thin ice here?
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Al French Getting Hammered Reply with quote

Rovercop wrote:
Rovercop greets,

Viewing your ads, interviews, and perusing this site these past weeks, I've been impressed by your focus and resolve. Godspeed.

Pardon if this has been previously posted (I couldn't find it):

Al French is getting HAMMERED at the local level, opponents are on fire - a priority news item in Oregon / Southwest Washington. May likely draw national media.

He may need your support. Soon.

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?id=70418

Are you talking about Al Franche? OinC from COSDIV 11?

"Clackamas County veterans are calling for the resignation of an assistant district attorney who appeared in television ads attacking Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry's military record."

Warmest Regards

Rovercop

Are you talking about Al Franche? OinC from COSDIV 11? Give us link to support him. Hundred, if not thousands, will.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn wrote:
From that article:

"Mr. French signed an affidavit defaming John Kerry's military service and then he admitted that he had no first-hand knowledge of what he swore to," Stewart said on Monday. "Someone who the community trusts to carry out the law cannot be lying in sworn, legal affidavits."

Sure like to see that affidavit. Maybe they can post it. Certainly he served with Kerry. He knew Kerry. And if he wasn't insisting that he was an eyewitness in the affidavit, then they'd have a weak case. But it would be interesting to see the wording.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm......

Quote:
Portland crowd rallies around Kerry
JEFF MAPES and JANIE HAR
The Oregonian
Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Kerry arrived in his chartered campaign jet at Portland International Airport shortly before 1 p.m. He was greeted by several veterans, who have been given a prominent role in a campaign that has emphasized Kerry's service as a Navy lieutenant during the Vietnam War.

Among the veterans was Jim Rassmann, a Florence resident who 35 years ago was rescued by Kerry during a firefight on a Vietnamese river. Kerry, who commanded a Navy swift boat, received a Bronze Star for his action.

The main visual image the campaign provided at the airport, however, was three leather-and-denim-clad members of the Veterans Motorcycle Club. They greeted Kerry -- who is a biker -- when he stepped onto the tarmac and chatted with him for a few minutes.

One of the trio, Don Stewart, a Vietnam veteran from Canby, said the talk ranged from motorcycles to the shortcomings of the Veterans Affairs health system. Stewart said that although he is a Republican, he supports Kerry "because I see the way veterans are treated under this administration."

The Oregonian
xleatherneck
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rovercop wrote:

I considered that the media may have attributed a statement of truth (his being there) to an incident in which he was not - therefore spinning his credibility into a falsehood.

And credibility here is the name of the game.

Here is an excerpt from The Oregonian:

Quote:
The 60-second ad, which aired for seven days this month in Ohio, West Virginia and Wisconsin, features 13 Vietnam veterans, including Alfred French, 58, a senior deputy district attorney in Clackamas County.

In the ad, French says: "I served with John Kerry. . . . He is lying about his record."

The ad was paid for by Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, a group of 300 Vietnam veterans who served in Swift boats and say Kerry has lied about his war record and disgraced his fellow veterans by publicly opposing the conflict upon his return home. The group said the ad will be aired again, though it has not decided where it will be shown.

French, in an interview Thursday, said Kerry lied about the circumstances that led to one of his Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star. Kerry received a Bronze Star, a Silver Star and three Purple Hearts commanding a Swift boat in Vietnam.

French said he is relying on the accounts of three other veterans who were friends of his at the time. A fourth veteran with whom French was acquainted corroborated their accounts.

"I was not a witness to these events but my friends were," said French, who was awarded two Bronze Stars during the war. "I believe these people. These are people I served with."

Let me emphasize the part in bold...relying on the accounts of...other veterans...

You can parse the phrases "I served with John Kerry" / "He is lying about his record," and each might stand on it's own, depending of course on perspective, but the intent of the ad suggests that he is a personal witness to the events, or at the very least, has some intimate knowledge of that which Kerry is lying about, and that is the message that the average person will take from the ad.

You have a credibility problem here and most people are also going to see it as such...and they are the ones you are reaching out to.

I support you guys but I think you really need to take this particular event seriously.

I've been reading a lot of forums and they are just tearing into this story.

All you need is but a few, if not one, of these credibility issues to lose the ear of the common person, and once that happens, it's all downhill from there.
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xleatherneck wrote:

"I was not a witness to these events but my friends were," said French, who was awarded two Bronze Stars during the war. "I believe these people. These are people I served with."

You can parse the phrases "I served with John Kerry" / "He is lying about his record," and each might stand on it's own, depending of course on perspective, but the intent of the ad suggests that he is a personal witness to the events

He never said that. His critics are saying that - correct?

Remember, if all you do is persue the 'wild-eyed' forums, you're going to believe that it's an established fact that John O'Neill is an anti-Christ or that Corsi certainly is, etc. Think about what you're reading. You're reading the complaints of those who invent wild conspiracies and fantastic affronts, and in short order believe their own lies to be true. Then they need to 'get the word out'. You need to stop reading those kind of boards. They'll take you right into the sewer.
xleatherneck
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He never said that. His critics are saying that - correct?

If by that you mean the intent of the ad suggests that he is a personal witness to the events, or at the very least, has some intimate knowledge of that which Kerry is lying about, then let me make myself absolutely clear....it is inferred.

If that is not the point of having these men in this ad, then either the ad fails on principle, or this campaign isn't as honorable as most people would like to think it is.

Honor is the only thing holding this issue and this campaign together. Once you lose that, you lose everything.

Remember, if all you do is persue the 'wild-eyed' forums, you're going to believe that it's an established fact that John O'Neill is an anti-Christ or that Corsi certainly is, etc. Think about what you're reading. You're reading the complaints of those who invent wild conspiracies and fantastic affronts, and in short order believe their own lies to be true. Then they need to 'get the word out'. You need to stop reading those kind of boards. They'll take you right into the sewer.

And you need to comprehend what I'm saying. If honor takes a back seat to politics, then I for one am outa here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: