SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BARNES & NOBLE PLAYING GAMES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Gaiser
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Barne and Noble, Ventura, CA Reply with quote

My personal experience with Barnes and Noble Bookstore, Ventura, Calif.

August 26, 2004

I visited the Barnes and Noble Bookstore today. I asked for “Unfit for Command” by John O’Neil. They said they were all out and I could put my name on a waiting list. I asked why I couldn’t order it and they said, “because we don’t have it in our warehouse.” I asked when was the last delivery and they said some came in this week. I then asked how many people were on the waiting list and they said they could not tell me. I went ahead and gave my name and phone number which didn’t go on list but was written on a piece of paper.

I went home and called the same store. I asked the clerk if I could order a book over the phone and pay with my VISA and she said I could order but I didn’t have to pay until it arrived. I asked if I could order “Unfit for Command” and she said “Oh, that’s special and we can’t order that one. You would have to put your name on a list.” So I asked why, and she said “we have none in any of our warehouses.” I then asked if I ordered another book and it didn’t happen to be in the warehouse could I still order it and she said, “Oh, yes” and I asked, “even if it is not in the warehouse I can still order the other book” and she said “yes”
I said “but I can’t order ‘Unfit for Command’ because that is a special case” and she said “yes.”
I said, “isn’t that interesting?
She didn’t know what to say next and I said “thank you” and hung up.

By the way, I called them and two other bookstores the previous week and they “were out” of the book.

This letter was e-mailed to several friends on this day August 26.

Dennis Gaiser
Camarillo, CA

August 27,

I get a call from one of my friends that received the e-mail. She was presently on the Barnes and Noble website. She said according to the website that the book was in stock. I asked her to order it and I would pay her when it arrived. She ordered the book and in a day or two got confirmation that it was shipped.

August 28

I talked with another friend about my experience and she said that she had received a copy from amazon.com . I asked to borrow it and she gave the copy to me. I read the book as fast as I could because it was so interesting.

September 7

By now I still had not heard from the Barnes and Noble’s “list” for Unfit for Command. I visited the store this day.

I asked the salesperson if they have Unfit for Command. She moved to the front display of books and made a quick look and said they don’t have any copies on the display. She proceeded to make a call to upstairs to talk to someone who also said there were no copies.

The salesperson said she could put my name on a list. I then said that my name should already be on the list. She goes up to the computer and asked for my phone number to reference it on the “list”. She said she could not find my name.

I said that they put my name on the list back on August 26. She acted befuddled and then walked over to the front desk and magically appears with a copy of Unfit for Command. Her comment was that they had a copy waiting for “somebody on the list that hadn’t come to get their copy”. I then took the copy to the front and paid for it.

Also, this same day, I had talked to a friend in town about the book and she visited the same Barnes and Noble in Ventura before I did.

September 8

I got a call from my friend that ordered the book from the website that the book had finally arrived.

September 17, 2004

Today I talked to my friend in Ventura and she told me about her visit to the Barnes and Noble store on September 7. She explained that she got the same runaround and wasn’t able to get the book.

Another friend of this person had the same experience at the same store.

It appears that this Barnes and Noble store is purposely avoiding selling the book Unfit for Command.
markasass
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, it seems the only places to receive unbiased treatment re: books like "Unfit for Command" are at conservative books sites, like American Compass at www.americancompass.com or conservative companies like Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. As I mentioned, I cancelled my Amazon account due to their biased, discriminatory, UFC-only change-of-policy allowing ad hominem book reviews. I ordered from Barnes & Noble on-line and received UFC within 3 days from placing the order. I have, however, heard from many others re: B & N and other bookstores "hiding" UFC, while prominently displayed liberal tomes.

"Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. To all the people you can. As long as you ever can." - Wesley
Tilly
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things never change!

While I bought 2 copies of UFC from Costco, and one from Amazon dot com, I dropped by the Barnes and Noble bookstore yesterday. Still no UFC display, still huge waiting list. I guess they're getting in three copies at a time, it's only money, huh?

I'm just laughing at this point. Let's see ... Costco in my town has third shipment of UFC. It's been available at BAM for more than a month ... expected in at WalMart ...

Go figure. Laughing
cowboy_az_us
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a copy here in walmart...they were going out the door fairly fast tho I think.
Fphamm
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue, but with Borders, basically I asked where Unfit for Command was, and the clerk, in essence, told me to get out of the store....My dad was able to find one at the costco in issaquah, which was a major suprise, since it was the same spot that all these wacko liberals flocked to, to see Bubba....
Bhist
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suddenly seeing this book in all the major bookstores. It's at my local Borders and B&N. B&N had it actually sitting right on top of all the other current affairs books.
keefer fm MD
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished the book, and since Kerry won't sign the 180, and nobody's called up the radio talk shows to rebuke Swifties being interviewed, I must say I stand with the Swifties. How could any Marine ever support Kerry after seeing the cover of The New Soldier? How could any patriotic Vietnam vet support this man? I'm just a plain ol' 20-year man with no combat experience, yet I could never support such a liar. This man needs to return to Massachussetts, where he can do no harm to this country. And maybe Massachussetts will wise up and rid themselves of him and his mentor.

Swiftvets and POWs for the Truth rock!!!
GM1954
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this helps anyone, I am placing my copy up for sale. Since many folks are still having a hard time with some of the book stores, I'm parting with mine.

It's in near new condition and was from Amazon's initial order list.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6932040587

Best regards,

George
Tacan70UDN
PO2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had trouble getting UFC. The local Borders said that Jerome Corsi was coming on the weekend to do a booksigning, so they couldn't sell any copies, but I was welcomed to come to the booksigning and stand in line. I finally got a copy at Waldenbooks (which I think is under the same corporate umbrella as Borders). By the way, Borders now has UFC openly displayed at discount.

Today, I tried to find a copy of "Stolen Valor". The county library doesn't have it; Borders didn't have it; but Waldenbooks did have it. From now on, I'll try them first.

Edited 19:52 to correct name of book
gmez2001
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: UFC Reply with quote

After repeated visits finally found UFC at Borders here in Louisville,Ky sitting next to Unfit Commander(left wing).

I'm finished with Borders and the remaining book stores anyway after the late distribution of UNF,purchasing on the internet is cheaper.........send the savings to the Swifties.
George
Tonkin Gulf
US NAVY 63,65
RideAHarley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: B/N Unfit To Stay In Business Reply with quote

B/N has been playing games ever since Unfit for Command was released. You can find my posts as well as hundreds of others about B/N on this forum that go all the way back to mid August.

Supposedly (can you believe it) I am STILL on their list for Unfit in my home town of Prescott, Arizona. I got my copy long ago from their competitor but I just keep checking. I know they now have it in their store but I have never received a call telling me my special order copy came in or that Unfit it is now in the store. Even after their many promises to do so while the backlog caught up.

After this post I will not waste another thought about B/N. I will NEVER buy another book from them again, ever. Borders is, and has been my store for many years and now because of B/N's typical liberal stand of hiding the book or lying through their teeth about the availability of Unfit they have earned my sincere disrespect forever.

Below is their email address if you would care to drop their customer service an email letting them know how you feel.. I have found it doesn't do any good to talk or rant to the local store personel or managers because it just goes in one ear and out the other and they will lie to your face and give one excuse after another.

An email to their corporate customer service will get you far more results.. but then again when did a liberal really care about being fair or telling the truth.

email the at customerservice@bn.com

Semper Fi
RideAHarley.com - Prescott, Arizona
C-130 Son
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a problem with B&N, which I have to say made me very sad as they used to be my favorite bookstore. The person behind the counter gave me some bullcrap about the publisher advertizing the release date at the wrong time and that they had not released it yet. I asked them when it would be released and they evaded my question. I asked them when they would have it and they didn't know. I went back a week later , same thing. I left the store, called Books a Million across the street from them, they had 5 books left in stock on their 2nd shipment of the books (clue: this was my first clue that B&N was full of crap and trying to suppress the Swift Vets book). I told them to hold one for me and that I would be right over to buy one. They did. I hung up the phone, called B&N, asked for the manager, and let them know who I was as I had just left their store and that I was about to purchase the book they said hadn't been released yet at their biggest competitors store across the street. They very smugly said, "well, thank you for that information". I have not returned to B&N since. Sure, BAM still has shelves and shelves of liberal crap, but at least they allow the other side a shot as well.
82nd_Airborne_Dad
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: I noticed that calling them they said . . . Reply with quote

they were out of stock, but actually showing up to look produced several copies in stock. Probably was talking to an employee that was a member of the liberal left . . . they don't want to see their buddy slandered with such things like the truth . . .

Razz
GM Strong
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theresa wrote:
I also shared your same experience with the Barnes & Noble in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, where I live. They simply did not have one book in stock, yet when I walked into the store, I was barraged with hundreds of Clinton's autobiographies and other Bush bashing books in the front of the store where everyone could see them.

This shortage of the book is outrageous. On Sunday, when I went to B&N to buy the book, there were many people purchasing books in the store, and the Swift Vets book would probably have sold vigorously had there been any in stock. This truly sounds like a concerted effort by liberal leaning book stores like B&N and Borders (they had none in stock either) to keep this book out of the hands of potential readers.

An outcry from disgrunteled customers and threats to buy from other on-line sources from now on will probably be the only language these companies understand.

Theresa

I also am in Delco, and had a similar experience in Wayne. I e-mailed B&N and got quite a satisfactory response. (Story posted on "11/5/04-finally on the shelves.." ) If you have a problem tell the Company. It seems to be a local store problem and not a B&N policy. I won't guarantee it. Hard to know if they mean it.

Last edited by GM Strong on Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
RideAHarley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Don't Stop Now !!! Reply with quote

To Barnes & Noble,
Below is a letter that I posted on a web site that I support.. Your company, no matter what excuses you try to make, was playing political games during this last election. We know it, you know it, and we don’t forget.. It took 35 years to pull even with what John Kerry did and said when he got home from Viet Nam and I will do everything I can to make sure it isn’t a short lived victory.
Everyone has the right to support who and what they want in our elections, but you (B/N) carried it over the top with the blatant and obvious corporate game you were playing by stalling and blocking the distribution of this book. Below are my comments posted for all to see.

Quote:
Now that the elections are over I am writing to B/N to tell them just what I think about the tricks they pulled. They WERE playing games with Unfit for Command and everyone here knows it, no matter what their excuses were at the time.
Writing to them during the campaign did no good. Now that the election is over and they think our memories are short, they need to be reminded (in the pocket book) that we don't forget so easily.
I am going to reiterate to them what I think about their games and the losing side they choose to support.. and to let them know that not only will I not be buying from them in the future, I will do everything I can (in my conversations with friends) to reinforce this effort to others.
They were dirty in this game they were playing and everyone here knows it, just read the hundreds of posts about B/N. There are many other honorable stores to buy your books from (Borders, Hastings and others) than from people that play these dirty political games. They should have remained neutral and let the people decide. Now that we HAVE decided, they should pay the price for taking the side that they willingly and blatantly supported. I HAVE decided to never buy from B/N again. My money, my choice.
Our 35 year memory of Kerry's actions should not be lost on B/N now that the election is over.. that is what they, B/N, Progressive Insurance (to the tune of $18,000,000.00) and many others that supported Kerry are counting on.

I hope you get my point.

Chris D
Prescott, Arizona
U.S. Marines (former)
Viet Nam Vet

Semper Fi
RideAHarley.com - Prescott, Arizona

Last edited by RideAHarley on Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: