SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The mid 1970's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michmaddave
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: The mid 1970's Reply with quote

John Kerry did a lot more than insult a lot of patriotic Americans who fought and died for their country.
I was born in 1959, and the war and draft was over by the time I became 18, but when I was 12 in 1972 I had a bad feeling where our culture was going. Since then I have read how our military shrank from about 4 million in 1972, at the time we had an uncontested military advantage against the Soviet Union. We had Nike Hercules missile sites surrounding all of our major cities, with nuclear warheads and a national ABM system planned which the Soviets copied, and a Navy of 800 plus warships. Our Air force had 2000 Air defense Command interceptors, and our army had clear advantages over the Soviets. Our total nuclear warhead stockpile was 35,000 (1970), as well as clear strategic and tactical nuclear superiority. Our military was the uncontested superpower, even over the Soviets, which had political advantages we then squandered due to the likes of Kerry.
Ten years later, in 1980, we had 2 million in the millitary, HALF the Navy, Half the air force, less than 300 interceptors for the ADC, and NO Nike Hercules air defense missiles, we had given up on ABM defense, and surrendered to the advances of the Soviets in Afghanistan and Central America. We had a Strategic Nuclear "window of vulnerability" with the Soviets in Nuclear Deterrence, and were beginning to be outnumbered in tactical, naval, and total nuclear weapons. We were held hostage to a third rate power such as Iran. China called us a "paper tiger".

Yes, Kerry did a lot more than insult our Viet Nam Hero's.
He took part in demoralizing and weakening our country until another bold and great American came to the Presidency in 1980 trying to turn that disastrous trend around, Ronald Reagan. John Kerry is no JFK, and he is damn sure no Ronald Reagan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: