SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WSJ -- We're Not GOP Shills by John O'Neill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arymann
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: WSJ -- We're Not GOP Shills by John O'Neill Reply with quote

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110005536

I haven't seen this GREAT article from the Wall Street Journal Opinion Page posted here yet.

GO SwiftVets!
MarineBrat
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: WSJ -- We're Not GOP Shills by John O'Neill Reply with quote

arymann wrote:

I haven't seen this GREAT article from the Wall Street Journal Opinion Page posted here yet.

GO SwiftVets!

Can you copy it here? I'm not interested in registering to see it. Sad

Thanks,

MarineBrat
Billman
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John O'Neill, you continue to amaze and impress me.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that right! These guys are amazing!

Paraphrasing: "If the Democrats had chosen someone else, we wouldn't exist.... if John Kerry were the Republican candidate, we would still be here!"

Right on, John!
jataylor11
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bow to the amazing competence, conciseness, and clarity of Mr. O'Neil.

This letter should be sent to every news media outlet. You have my unending admiration and support ---

I GUESS THAT MEANS IT IS TIME TO DONATE AGAIN!!$$!!$$!!$$!!$$
BuffaloJack
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think copying it here would be a good idea. The article has copyright status and it might invite the intellectual property police to this website. The link is sufficient. Just uncheck the "send me email" box when you register.
integritycounts
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAMPAIGN 2004
We're Not GOP Shills
President Bush can't stop us from telling the truth about John Kerry.

BY JOHN O'NEILL
Friday, August 27, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

We formed Swift Boat Veterans For Truth for one purpose: to present to the American public our conclusion that John Kerry is not fit to be commander in chief. We are organized as a "527 group" with Adm. Roy Hoffmann at the helm, our leader today as he was some 35 years ago when we served under him in Coastal Squadron One in Vietnam. Our membership is transparent and shown on our Web site, www.swiftvets.com, currently including more than 250 Swiftees. We have 17 of the 23 officers who served with Mr. Kerry, most of his chain of command, and most sailors. We have more than 60 winners of real Purple Hearts. No one has a better right than we do to speak to the matters involving our unit.

Are we controlled by the Bush-Cheney campaign? Absolutely not. The Swift boat veterans who joined our group come in all political flavors: independents, Republicans, Democrats and other more subtle variations. Had another person been the presidential candidate of the Democrats, our group never would have formed. Had Mr. Kerry been the Republican candidate, each of us would still be here.

We do not take direction from the White House or the president's re-election committee, and our efforts would continue even if President Bush were to ask us directly to stop.

Why have we come forward? As explained in "Unfit For Command," Mr. Kerry grossly exaggerated and lied about his abbreviated four-month tour in Vietnam. He disgraced all legitimate Vietnam War heroes when he falsely testified to Congress that we were war criminals, daily engaged in atrocities that had the full approval of all levels in the chain of command. So, once Mr. Kerry decided to apply for the commander in chief's job with a war-hero résumé, we felt compelled to come forward to explain why he is "unfit for command."

We have faced assaults on our character, motives, personal backgrounds and honesty. We are told that Mr. Kerry's camp has prepared attack dossiers on the members of our organization. I have been charged with being a Republican shill. But for more than 30 years, I have been non-political, and have voted for as many Democrats as Republicans. In truth, I consider myself a political independent, regardless of how John Kerry and his supporters try to characterize me.

The Kerry-Edwards camp has threatened TV stations with libel suits should they choose to run our ads. Mr. Kerry has filed a complaint with the FEC, seeking to silence us.

How many different ways will John Kerry devise to ask President Bush to condemn our ads and squash our book? Why, Mr. Kerry, are our charges as a 527 group unacceptable to you, while the pronouncements from 527 groups favorable to you are considered acceptable, regardless of stridency and veracity? And we do not have a George Soros, willing to drop millions into our modest group. We control our message. To date, we have received $2 million from 30,000 Americans who have donated an average of around $64.

Mr. Kerry, we ask you not to repeat the same mistake you made when you returned from war: Please stop maligning your fellow veterans. Dealing with us should be easy. Just answer our charges. Produce your Vietnam journal and notes, and execute Standard Form 180 so the American people can see your complete military record--not just the few forms you put on your website or show to campaign biographers.

Mr. O'Neill, author of "Unfit For Command" (Regnery, 2004), is a member of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.
baldeagl
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you can read any article on the internet you want without having to register. Just go to http://bugmenot.com/ and get a login for the site you're interested in. If one doesn't work, try another.
arymann
PO3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalo got it right. I didn't post the text of the article because it was specifically labeled with a copyright. I am not sure of the copyright laws and didn't want to provide ammunition to someone wanting to raise issues with this site. But, I guess since John O'Neill wrote it, it wouldn't be a problem here. Would like some guidance on copyrighted postings though if anybody knows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: