SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swift Boat Veterans For Truth

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf_lord
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Swift Boat Veterans For Truth Reply with quote

Admin Note:

This forum was designed to facilitate the discussion of the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth strong conviction that John Kerry is unfit to serve as Commander-In-Chief.

If your defense of John Kerry can only be couched in rhetoric denigrating the fitness of another candidate, then we suggest that you find another venue for that expression.

Thank you,

Admin
You GottaBeKidding
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Kerry tried to get a deferment and it was denied and then he joined the Naval Reserve. He claims he said, "Send me," but this begs for either Paul Harvey's "The rest of the story" or that lovely phrase "Not exactly."

I think anyone in his right mind would try to get a deferment if he could. I don't have a problem with that.

I do have a problem with someone who claims he volunteered when he didn't. I do have a problem with people who denigrate the service of those who serve in the National Guard or Reserves. I do have a problem with those who look down on the mechanics and cooks and transport drivers. Yes, there are positions that are far more dangerous and take a lot more courage than others, but the soldiers in that convey in Iraq, who were driving trucks can attest to the fact that even "safe" jobs aren't always all that safe.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everybody who didn't serve in Vietnam was or is a chicken hawk draft dodger. There is no way to lump everyone into one basket and I feel service of the individual must be looked at individually.

Military service isn't for everyone, many fail to even graduate Basic Training. Some that fled the country rather than fight have my respect, provided they stayed gone when Jimmy Carter gave out total amnesty.

Others avoided due to religious convictions, some for family or medical reasons, some for studies and some, from outright cowardice and looking for a free ride.

I'll repeat, there is just no way to lump all those who didn't serve together in one basket. Some in the military never even were sent over, so how do we evaluate them all at once?
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treading on thin Ice Wolf_Lord. Do not defame the Service of an Entire group of Veterans. Many more men Served in places other than Vietnam, many Guardsman Served in Vietnam.
kmudd
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerry's spokeswoman claims that those who didn't go to Vietnam betrayed this country.

Interview With Jay Nordlinger, Maryanne Marsh

Hannity & Colmes (Fox News Network); 8/23/2004; Sean Hannity, Alan Colmes

Hannity & Colmes (Fox News Network)

08-23-2004

MARYANNE MARSH, DEMOCRATIC STRATEGIST: Well, I think whether there's a connection or not, I think what you have to look at is what John Kerry needs to do.

And what John Kerry needs to do is to hit Bush as hard as Bush has hit him. And the way you do that is you remind people that Bush betrayed this country about why we went to war in Iraq, just like he betrayed them when he didn't fight in Vietnam.

That's why his record of service is important in this election...

HANNITY: And Maryanne -- and Maryanne...

MARSH: Just like...

(CROSSTALK) HANNITY: That type of rhetoric, that's disgraceful...

MARSH: It's not.

HANNITY: ... because John Kerry -- John Kerry said leaving Saddam unfettered with nuclear weapons and WMDs is unacceptable. It's a real and grave threat to America.

You give him a pass because he's a Democrat. You guys give Ted Kennedy a pass. He can call the president a liar, said he concocted a war for political gain. He can let Terry McAuliffe say the president is AWOL.

MARSH: Sean, you know what, Sean?

HANNITY: You let your MoveOn.org ads go out, and then you get punched back, and you guys can't take it.

MARSH: No. There's a big difference between what I'm saying and everything you and you allege everyone else has said. There are two people...

HANNITY: Not alleged; it happened.

MARSH: John Kerry and George Bush, the Bush campaign has now gone after John Kerry's military service. John Kerry needs to do the same.

HANNITY: And Maryanne, let me give you -- let me educate you here.

(CROSSTALK) MARSH: George Bush had a chance. Everybody's had a chance.

HANNITY: It is not -- Maryanne, I'm not going to let you get away with this. George Bush has praised his record in Vietnam.

(CROSSTALK) HANNITY: He said it last week. He said it this week.

MARSH: And it's totally disingenuous, because he doesn't want to take responsibility for anything...

(CROSSTALK) HANNITY: He's not responsible -- Well, then you're going to accept responsibility for MoveOn.org comparing the president to Adolph Hitler, because that's what you guys are funding on your site.

(CROSSTALK) MARSH: ... are responsible for each other. No one expects an apology, and I don't believe there's any coordination between either of them.

(CROSSTALK) HANNITY: You guys can dish it out, but you can't take it.

MARSH: Kerry should go after his record on 9/11 and his record on Iraq.

HANNITY: All right, Maryanne, let him talk. Go ahead.

NORDLINGER: I'm sorry to interrupt, but this really is an extraordinary campaign. I think I've heard this before. But she said a minute ago that George Bush betrayed this country by not serving in Vietnam. I don't believe that's a charge I've heard before. This is really a weird campaign.

HANNITY: That's nasty, Maryanne. You should apologize for that. Why don't you apologize for that?

MARSH: I'm not going to apologize. Because...

(CROSSTALK) HANNITY: You're going to say George Bush betrayed his country? He betrayed his country?

NORDLINGER: She's done so.

MARSH: By not serving because when he had a chance to serve his country, he didn't. And he betrayed this country by getting us into the war in Iraq.
4moreyears
Former Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everyone was a Sgt. York then there would be nothing exceptional in selfless bravery.

Those who joined did so for various reasons. Those who were drafted had reasons for seeking deferments or softer safer service.

Those were the rules of the game.

Those who went to Canada...I hope they froze. Those who were Rhodes Scholars and protested at the Kremlin were disgraceful.

But those who went under any circumstance...and then returned to spin lies while POWs were paying the price...well those like kerry deserve the wrath that is over due.
republicanveteran
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Wolf-Lord

I was never in Vietnam, but I served from 1964 to 1984, most of the war.

Am I a chickenhawk???
cipher
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, what do you think of those that were eligible for the draft and joined the Nat'l Guard, knew the right people to get a deferment, etc? Don't you have just a little animosity for those that took the "easy route" while you were doing the actual fighting?

I enlisted in the USMC when I was 17 years old. I knew FOR A FACT that if I waited until I was 18, I'd get drafted into the Army, and I would have been first loader on an M-16 bullet launcher 12 weeks after I was in uniform.

In the USMC, I maxed out all the IQ tests. The USMC (in their infinite wisdom) put my butt into commo schools for over a year, then sent me to more schools after I got out, teaching me all sorts of stuff I needed to know to support the USMC in its mission.

I volunteered for Vietnam (to get out of being transferred to Guantanamo, Cuba). With what the USMC had invested in my training, and the equipment I was trained on, it was VERY unlikely at that point (1971) that I would be sent in-country.

Am I a chickenhawk? Just because I avoided the draft? Just because I knew the best place to hide a needle is in a stack of needles, and not in a haystack? I don't know. The decision not to send me to Vietnam was made by someone way higher than my paygrade.

Still, there always existed the possiblity that I would be ordered to go. And I would have gone. But the issue never came up.

Am I a chickenhawk because I left the USMC to go to the US Army after the war was over? Am I a chickenhawk because I went into the National Guard (gasp!) after I left the Army?

Frankly, I think ANYONE who willfully straps an F-102 to his butt is certifiably insane. Those thing would just as soon kill you just as dead as a bullet, and give you LOTS of time to think about it in the process. Personally, I think I'd rather a chickenhawk in a room full of doves than a peacock wearing lots of pretty colored feathers he did (virtually) nothing to earn.
Defense contractor for US Navy, SSPO, SP-20, SP-24, OP-12 84-92
Belisaurius
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "somebody" you are referring to just happened to fly a jet interceptor. I don't know how you can call a fighter jock a "chickenhawk"

That's just laughable.
republicanveteran
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on

I served in the USAF. I knew many pilots who bought the farm and believe it or not, they were in the states or Europe when it happened.

Everytime they go up there, they are risking their lifes. They were all brave and honorable men.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of preventing an all out brawl here I will be Locking this topic down. Afterwards I will PM the Author to ask that they try and avoid shoving a branch into a Bee Hive here.
Me#1You#10
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perimeter Clear
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: