SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest News from the Publisher
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howard
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Latest News from the Publisher Reply with quote

From www.publishersweekly.com (free registration required)

======================

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA447827.html?display=breaking

More Unift, and More on Public Access

by Staff, PW NewsLine -- 8/26/2004

A couple of items that follow-up stories in yesterday's NewsLine lead today's issue.

Unfit for Command publisher Regnery Publishing announced this afternoon that it was going back to press for another 100,000 copies of the controversial title, bringing the in-print figure up to 650,000. Regnery has shipped 325,000 copies to date and company CEO Jeff Carneal says the balance will be shipped within five to seven days.

The new printing is in keeping with Regnery's efforts to meet demand for the book that has exceeded all expectations and left many booksellers without stock. The out-of-stock position caused some customers to accuse booksellers of intentionally not selling the book because of their liberal bias against the John Kerry-bashing book.

Carneal, acknowledging that even Regnery had received calls from the public asserting that booksellers had conspired to not sell the book, issued a statement defending the booksellers. "Despite what some customers may believe, it isn't the stores fault that supplies are scarce. I wish I could blame it on a vast left-wing conspiracy, but I just can't," he says, noting that the demand, "just couldn't have been anticipated."
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the real skinny!
nathan roland
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Hitting A Wall In Buying The Book Reply with quote

Thank you John O'Neill for your informative book and your service in so many ways to the USA.

I tried several times to purchase your book from Amazon.com but I never received a confirmation or shipping notice or the book from them. I have purchased from Amazon before and never had this problem. I tried Barnes & Noble but had heard tales of them showing their TAILS when dealing with customers interested in purchasing this book so I was prepared. I told the sales person I was looking for books on John Kerry and at least one book by a Clinton...I was happily taken to the area where these books were nicely displayed and noticed UNFIT FOR COMMAND was not there. I said to the sales rep "I'm so happy to see you don't have that nightmare of a book about Vietnam and Kerry by John O'Neill." The rep replied in a whisper "Well," as she was looking around to see if anyone was around to hear "we do have it in the back but we've been told not to put it out we're just supposed to take names and numbers of the people that want it." I laughed and said I thought that was a great idea and asked why they were doing that and the sales rep told me "We give the names to our boss and they're given to a local Democratic Campaign group."

Though I don’t consider this “A Vast Nutty Left Conspiracy”, I do believe some would like to discourage the sales of this book to the degree they can before Election Day. I myself go in the (I) column so I guess sometimes I feel like a nut and sometimes I don’t. I’ve decided to buy my copy of the book on line at BOOKSAMILLION.COM. I received the confirmation and wait to see if it arrives.

Last edited by nathan roland on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitting A Wall In Buying The Book Reply with quote

nathan roland wrote:
Thank you John O'Neill for your informative book and your service in so many ways to the USA.

I tried several times to purchase your book from Amazon.com but I never received a confirmation or shipping notice or the book from them. I have purchased from Amazon before and never had this problem. I tried Barnes & Noble but had heard tales of them showing their TAILS when dealing with customers interested in purchasing this book so I was prepared. I told the sales person I was looking for books on John Kerry and at least one book by a Clinton...I was happily taken to the area where these books were nicely displayed and noticed UNFIT FOR COMMAND was not there. I said to the sales rep "I'm so happy to see you don't have that nightmare of a book about Vietnam and Kerry by John O'Neill." The rep replied in a whisper "Well," as she was looking around to see if anyone was around to hear "we do have it in the back but we've been told not to put it out we're just supposed to take names and numbers of the people that want it." I laughed and said I thought that was a great idea and asked why they were doing that and the sales rep told me "We give the names to our boss and they're given to a local Democratic Campaign group."

Valerie
Dallas, TX

You should write to the HQ and tell them what was said to you.

The fact is, copies are available at Costco. I just bought a second copy, myself. There weren't many, however. And I think it's because the publisher just wasn't able to produce in quantity. They supposedly just worked overtime, as it were, to produce a mere 650K copies.
nathan roland
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: 4 more years Reply with quote

4 more years

Last edited by nathan roland on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
RideAHarley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Bull Crap !!! Reply with quote

Isn't that unbelieveable.. supposedly there are 650,000 copies floating around out there somewhere and one guy wrote that Borders in Phoenix got 20 copies.. after all this time.

Let's give them the benefit, let's say there are only 350,000 copies out there that they have shipped. 50 states divided into 350,000 copies adds up to 7,000 copies per state. I CAN NOT find one copy in the whole state of Arizona and I posted my first post on this issue weeks ago. Not counting the fact that I drove all the way to Phoenix from Prescott last Saturday and went to several Borders (among other stores) and NOT A COPY TO BE HAD.. anywhere !!!

Every book store manager (I go straight to the managers now) tells me they have not see ANY books. I have my name on the list of 3 stores and I call every day and not a copy to be had.

If what the publisher says is true they had better print 100,000,000 copies because if 350,000 have flown off the shelves in these phantom stores, yet nobody I have talked to at the stores have seen a single copy in weeks !!!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON GUYS !!!

Has anyone ever heard of the phrase "You can win the battle (TV Ads) but loose the War (no books to be had for the fence sitters).

RideAHarley.com - Prescott, Arizona

Last edited by RideAHarley on Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:31 am; edited 3 times in total
farmgirl
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bull Crap !!! Reply with quote

[quote="RideAHarley"]Isn't that unbelieveable.. supposedly there are 650,000 copies floating around out there somewhere and one guy wrote that Borders in Phoenix got 20 copies.. after all this time.

Let's give them the benefit, let's say there are only 350,000 copies out there that they have shipped. 50 states divided into 350,000 copies adds up to 7,000 copies per state. I CAN NOT find one copy in the whole state of Arizona and I posted my first post on this issue weeks ago. Not counting the fact that I drove all the way to Phoenix from Prescott last Saturday and went to several Borders (among other stores) and NOT A COPY TO BE HAD.. anywhere !!!

Every book store manager (I go straight to the managers now) tells me they have not see ANY books. I have my name on the list of 3 stores and I call every day and not a copy to be had.

If what the publisher says is true they had better print 100,000,000 copies because if 350,000 have flown off the shelves in these phantom stores, yet nobody I have talked to at the stores have seen a single copy in weeks !!!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON GUYS !!!

Has anyone ever heard of the phrase "You can win the battle (TV Ads) but loose the War (no books to be had for the fence sitters).[/quote]

This is Renegery's chance to shine - I hope they can somehow maybe rent? a publishing place to get these books out faster - time is of the esence and you want to have people have them when the irons are hot. IMy sister & I just got a email from amazon saying its back ordered for us . I guess we'll have to wait. Maybe Ill try ebay? Dying to read it!! Smile thank you John O'Neil and the rest et all Smile
RideAHarley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Copies at Costco ? Reply with quote

Not trying to be smart here guys but I'm not about to go to Costco and pay them $50.00 (or whatever they charge to enlist) to buy a $27.00 book when there are dozens of other book stores in this town. I would rather give the $50 buck to the Swift Vets.

I know I have said it before, but it is just absolutley astonishing to me (can't emphasize it enough) that Unfit is a number one best seller and the book stores can't get any. WalMart doesn't carry it (been there several times and talked to a manager.. they use an independent supplier and have no control over what is on the shelf.. but the manager did tell me that the dozens and dozens of Clintons ugly puss on the shelves can't be given away.

Borders, B/N, Hastings.. etc have so many Clinton books on the shelf I am getting pretty darn sick of seeing that lying bastard's face too.

I keep asking the managers.. "Have you ever heard of a phone" "Do you call and find out how many you have coming" "Do you ask when they might be here".. on every occasion, they say it is out of their hands.

I asked one manager at my local B/N how many copies they had on order and after much pressing.. he said 24.. I said, ARE YOU SHITTING ME, a #1 best seller, people scrambling everywhere to buy it and you have 24 copies on order. He said it is out of his hands and that "corporate" dictates to them how many they will get. That is 24 copies in a town of 50,000 people.
I then said "You have Clinton falling off every shelf in this store, out front on the marque, in the store, at the coffee shop.. his answer "Let's not get political sir".. I said "What do you think this is all about.. sir"

Oh well, at least I have this site to vent on.

Semper Fi

Last edited by RideAHarley on Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you vets tried to find the book at your local PX or BX? I tried to get one at Ft. Myer, Arlington, Virginia, and they didn't even have Tommy Franks American Soldier. the day I was there. I'd like to hear what others have found on their bases.
nathan roland
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: 4 more years Reply with quote

4 more years

Last edited by nathan roland on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
farmgirl
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Booksamillion.com Is Shipping Them Reply with quote

nathan roland wrote:
I had trouble bying the book from Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble so I went to Booksamillion.com to order the book. I ordered it on 8-26 and received my copy of Unfit For Command on 8-30...The total cost with shipping was $25.75.

Wow. I wish I had known about that. If I cancel now, I may get on that list and end up waiting just as well so I guess Ill stay where I am. I have never heard of that company you mentioned but good to know in the future.
Al_Hawaii
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked for the book in the BX at Lackland AFB over the weekend. They had Frank's book, and all the anti-Bush books, but not UNFIT FOR COMMAND.

Al
Navy wife
Research Director

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite curious as to WHY our exchanges might not carry this important book! Do we have another Barnes and Nobles?
Tony
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-Ordered mine from Amazon around August 10th - received it a few days after it was released. Paid $19 for it plus shipping. I've read it and now my wife is reading it. I'm very skeptical that companies that make money selling books would not be willing to sell a popular book. I think the publisher underestimated the demand.

http://tonyk.smugmug.com/photos/1822816-L-1.jpg
USN 1983-1992
RideAHarley
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Finally Got A Copy Reply with quote

Finally after almost 3 weeks I got a call from Hasting Books last night that they had received 30 copies (that were all accounted for) but my name was on top of the list.

I don't have my hands on it yet (today) but I hope to have my copy later this afternoon.

Finally.. I can't believe it.

Last edited by RideAHarley on Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: