SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did Kerry volunteer for Active Duty ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Did Kerry volunteer for Active Duty ? Reply with quote

I understand the timeline was:

1) Joined the Naval Reserve ...
2) Reserve unit called up ...
3) Entered OCS to become officer ...
4) Stationed on Gridley (did not choose Gridley)
5) The volunteered for Swift boats when he thought they were less dangerous ...

I think he got sucked into Vietnam more than he volunteered for it ...

He was already against the war in 67-68 (Yale speech etc.)
rbshirley
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Did Kerry volunteer for Active Duty ? Reply with quote

FF1047 wrote:
I understand the timeline was:

1) Joined the Naval Reserve ...
2) Reserve unit called up ...
3) Entered OCS to become officer ...
4) Stationed on Gridley (did not choose Gridley)
5) The volunteered for Swift boats when he thought they were less dangerous

Actually, the time line is somewhat different.

He was never in a reserve unit. Either as enlisted or officer

He applied for and went to OCS directly from civilian life.

This is covered in a thread over on the main discussion:

Question of Kerry's service records--enlisted in Reserve?

FF1047
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: actually he was enlisted ... Reply with quote

From Kerry's own web site ...

Quote:
John Kerry’s More Than 30 Years of Service: 1966, John Kerry Enlisted in the U.S. Navy; November 1968 through March 1969, Served in Vietnam; 1970-1978, Served in U.S. Navy Reserves; 1976-1979, Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office; 1983-1985, Lt. Governor of Massachusetts; 1985-2004 U.S. Senator from Massachusetts.

The other thread doesn't look at Kerry's actual records ...
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well by Kerrys own words on his service in the Reserves, that nails him on Conduct Unbecoming, Treason (his Paris vacation), and numerous other things he should have been charged with for his Post War Activities while still an Officer in the Navy.
Porsche944
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The debate over Mr. Kerry's service has raised a question that I have yet to find an answer for. Namely, why did he go into military service in the first place?

As I remember the times (I graduated from high school in '69), the war in Vietnam was not at all popular, and I personally thought that an "undeclared war" was not proper.

On the other hand, I did not agree with the treatment returning vets were being given. Vets were not to blame for Vietnam, politicians were.

As a "long-haired hippy-freak" college freshman during the fall of 1969, I was gratefull for my student deferment. Several of my high school classmates got snagged by the draft. Some came back with Purple Hearts, and some came back either in a box or not at all.

When my circumstances changed and I could no longer attend college, I was faced with the dreadfull possibility of being drafted, so as a pre-emptive tactic I joined the Navy and entered active duty on 20 July 1970, just 12 days after my 19th birthday.

I must admit that my initial enlistment was totaly a matter of self-preservation. I was willing to serve my country, but I really didn't want to die in a war that I personally thought was wrong.

Over the course of the next 20+ years as a squid I had the opportunity to closely observe human behavior, and I learned that at the time there were basically three types of people in the military: Those who joined for some personal agenda (like I did), those who joined out of a sense of duty, and those who were drafted.

I know that Mr. Kerry wasn't drafted, so that leaves us with duty and personal agenda.

To my way of thinking, if Mr. Kerry had joined out of a sense of duty and had served with honor, he would not have to defend his service, because honorable men tend to do the right thing and they tend to not boast about it afterwards. The Honorable Senator from Arizona (my state of birth) is a prime example of this type of individual. Therefore, all we have left is personal agenda.

So then, it seems to me that if Mr. Kerry joined to facilitate a personal agenda, it would make sense that certain aspects of his service would be focused towards a specific goal.

In my case I wanted to fullfill my military obligation and learn something I could use once I got out, so I volunteered to go to Nuclear Power School and ride boomers. What I hadn't planned on was a complete change in purpose.

Before I graduated from boot camp I realized that my service should mean something beyond having a marketable skill. I also realized that the Navy and my country deserved better of me, so I decided then and there to do no less than 20 years, and on 30 June, 1992 I retired with 21 years and change.

What really scares me about this whole situation is that it seems to me as though Mr. Kerry's agenda was to infiltrate the military, get assigned to a unit or group that saw frequent combat, and then use his "service" for political gain. Add that to his behavior both before and after his "tour of duty," and an even more disturbing picture starts to form.

What I see is a man who is willing to do something that he has spoken out against for the sole purpose of satisfying his lust for political power, and in this day and time this country does not need this a man as its president.
Knighthawk
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that John Kerry knew exactly what he was doing.

I believe that John Kerry VOLUNTEERED for duty in Vietnam.

Kerry has never hid the fact that he had a serious interest in politics. He KNEW that military service, especially during wartime, would enhance his political career.

I also believe that he knew about the "Three Purple Hearts Rule" prior to volunteering for duty in Vietnam. He got his 3 Purple Hearts and 'Beat Feet" outa there. He didn't even give his fellow sailors and shipmates a second thought. (They were probably glad to get rid of him)

John Kerry is a cold and calculating liar, I am just glad that his military service is coming back to bite him in the ass. He might have a certificate that says "Honorable Discharge", but he damn sure did not serve with honor.

The only thing he served for is "Me, Myself and I"

And another thing, I really don't want no foreigner as First Lady. She talks funny.

Just my .02˘

Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity! Lick it once and you'll suck forever.

If guns kill people, then I can blame misspelled words on my pencil.

Knighthawk's Pictures!
Doc Jerry
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the "Harvard Crimson" (I cannot recall the date of issue), Kerry first approached his Board to try to get a deferment to study in Paris. Only after his request was denied, he enlisted.

Medics, we're there when you need us.
Nathanyl
PO3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb325th wrote:
Well by Kerrys own words on his service in the Reserves, that nails him on Conduct Unbecoming, Treason (his Paris vacation), and numerous other things he should have been charged with for his Post War Activities while still an Officer in the Navy.

I've been looking into that this morning and from what I can see he went straight from active duty to the reserves inactive status. I checked the Manual for Court Marshals United States: http://www.jag.navy.mil/documents/mcm2000.pdf

and from what I can see he wouldn't fall under the military's juristiction after Jan 3, 1970. I'm not a lawyer though so there obviously could be something I missed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: