SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have free fire zones been used in Iraq?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Have free fire zones been used in Iraq? Reply with quote

I am sure .50 caliber guns have been used.

Since Kerry considers these war crimes I am just wondering if he will be marching our military leaders up to the Hauge to stand trial.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-topic for this forum, so I'm moving it to the geedunk in a bit.

Thanks,
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge NO! The Rules of Engagement have been pretty tight throughout in Iraq. Our Military has been taking strong measures to avoid collateral damage and killing of innocent civillians. Not saying those things have not happened as in all wars, but we have done what we can to avoid it.
Now the enemey on the other hand is a different story, wether targeting civillians directly, using them as shields, or just being uncaring of the civillians have killed a great many Iraqi Civillians.
I wasn't in Vietnam, but seems the same occured there as well.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb325th wrote:
To the best of my knowledge NO! The Rules of Engagement have been pretty tight throughout in Iraq. Our Military has been taking strong measures to avoid collateral damage and killing of innocent civillians. Not saying those things have not happened as in all wars, but we have done what we can to avoid it.

All of that has nothing to do with "Free Fire Zones" and all could be said of Vietnam.
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now the enemey on the other hand is a different story, wether targeting civillians directly, using them as shields, or just being uncaring of the civillians have killed a great many Iraqi Civillians.
I wasn't in Vietnam, but seems the same occured there as well.

JN, that is what I was saying. That in Iraq as in Vietnam our enemies have taken advantage of a civillian population, while our Soldiers do their best to avoid Civillian Casualties.
Hope there is no misunderstanding! Airborne![/b]
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rb
Accept my apology. Embarassed Rereading my response it came across sharp which I did not intend. You answered no and I just have a different viewpoint. I believe there are a lot of misconceptios about 'free fire zones'.

Harry Somers(sp?) in his book "Vietnam Almanac" essentially says that "free fire zones" have been used by every army in every war. (My words not his, but that's the essence of what he said.) He uses the examples of Western Europe before D-Day and everthing north of the MLR in Korea as being "Free Fire Zones". I would venture that in the initial assault into Iraq the same statement would be true.

Nam was just the 1st time the US had a need to identifiy restrictions above and beyond the normal ROEs in compliance with FM 27-10, Geneva, Hague, etc. The term free fire zone was only used for a very short time before the Generals realized that it (the term) was being misconstrued by the growing anti-war crowd. It's unofficial use never ceased. (I can't recall the official term became. I'll look it up and post it later.)
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no problems here, I have thick skin and a thicker skull so I am told. I understand where you are coming from on this and I guess my response to that term is geared more torwards those who use the Anti War Crowds defenition of "Free Fire Zone".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Geedunk & Scuttlebutt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: