SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mr. Vietnam Veteran,
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Mr. Vietnam Veteran, Reply with quote

My name is Michael Berryman Smith.

I'm 41 years old. By the time the war was over I was 12 or 13 years old. Unfortunately, I do not know a whole lot about Vietnam.

I have some questions. Allow me some background first.

I am an Independent and will likely vote for Michael Badnarik as I am not excited about either candidate in the main parties.

I went in the service in Sep. 1982 and ETS Sept 1988. My first permanent party station was Fort Bragg, HHB 3rd BAT/4th ADA, my MOS was 05B [combat radio operator].

I was among some of the last military members who trained and served under Vietnam vets. I distinctly remember my various platoon daddies and squad Sgts et al telling me stories of atrocities that occured in Vietnam.

I saw ex Congressman Pete McClosky last night, who also testified in 1971 and said pretty much the same thing as Kerry. McClosky is a highly decorated anchor cranker, recieving the Navy Cross.

Raussman verifies Kerry claims, even my Uncle who was in the Navy and served on some kind of boats in the rivers of Vietnam has told me horrible stories.

WHY ?

By saying Kerry is lying, yall are saying all these other men are lying!

Are all these men liars?

If swift vetsl are telling then truth - then all these other men must be lying - right?

confused in Texas.

Sincerely
Michael Berryman Smith
Fort Worth, Texas
rb325th
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

05B?!? Combat Radio Operator? Never heard of that MOS.(Thought commo was 30 Series)
I served in the same timespan as you, had Vietnam Veterans as Drill Sgt.s, Plattoon Sgts, and Sergeant Major was a Vietnam Vet.
Not a single one of them talked about atrocaties occuring on the scale Kerry claimed!None even claimed to have ever seen any period! Also most of Kerrys Testiomony came from men who were not there, some of whom never even served, and some who declare they were not at the Winter Soldier Meeting yet their names ended up as being "witnesses".
So, 250 men who served in Swift Boats state Kerry has lied and or exagerated the facts regarding his time in Vietnam, are they all liars?
air_vet
PO2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Vietnam Veteran, Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:
confused in Texas.

That's the ONE thing you said that I can agree with you on.
roughfun
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try mike. You cant be so informed and confused at the same time. Kerry has 250 guys pounding on his door saying he lied. Do you have 250 guys from Bragg calling you a liar about somthing? Why not? Is it because you didnt transform yourself into an instant war hero. Just add water no VC needed. He didnt serve the Navy he used the Navy to serve himself. You sound more like James Carvelle than a Vet. Semper Fi.
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: UM = no attack is neccassary Reply with quote

and yes - 05B was a MOS. Brehms Barracks Fort Gordon. About midway through my tenure, the MOS changed to 31K (as I recall).

but my service is not in dispute - my DD form 214 says I served honorably.

NOR - am I supporting or defending Kerry - likewise, I am not supporting or defending the Swift Boat vets. I have and would again defend their right to speak their mind.

I am simply asking a question about something I do not understand! If yall wish to attack me, then I will ask my question elsewhere. Hopefully - the swift vets will answer my email of the same that I sent earlier.

Seems to this individual that there appears to be a controversy between those who served honorably in Vietnam and say atrociteis didn't happen, and those who served honorably and say they did, such as ex Rep. Pete McClosky (R)?????

Allow me to whisper a word of good council in both your ears - attacking someone for asking a question will not get you very far!

"All the way" Sirs!
MBS
Bob_P
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Well.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Are all these men liars?

Exaggerating would probably be more correct.
Bad stuff did happen but it wasn't common place as K has said. It's also fairly common for some vets to exaggerate what they went through or did in order to make themselves out to be war heros (K for example).
kevkersey
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Vietnam Veteran, Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:

I distinctly remember my various platoon daddies and squad Sgts et al telling me stories of atrocities that occured in Vietnam.

I saw ex Congressman Pete McClosky last night, who also testified in 1971 and said pretty much the same thing as Kerry. McClosky is a highly decorated anchor cranker, recieving the Navy Cross.

Raussman verifies Kerry claims, even my Uncle who was in the Navy and served on some kind of boats in the rivers of Vietnam has told me horrible stories.

WHY ?

By saying Kerry is lying, yall are saying all these other men are lying!

Are all these men liars?

If swift vetsl are telling then truth - then all these other men must be lying - right?

Michael, concerning the people you quoted above, are they all saying that atrocities were the norm and even sanctioned by the US gov and military?

Of course atrocities happened. They happen in every war. WWI, WWII, Korea, even the Revolutionary War. No one is saying they didn't happen, but Kerry and his comrades were saying that ALL of the troops in Viet Nam were responsible of war crimes and that war crimes were not only encouraged, but commanded up and down the chain of command. Of course he based his testimony on the "Winter Solidier Investigation" which turned out that the "soldiers" who testified there were almost all lying. Some were never in the service, some were never in Viet Nam, and some never even saw combat. And here was JK, not only spouting their lies as "fact", but saying that he was there "representing" those soldiers and all who came back from Viet Nam.

That is the problem I and others have with JK. He brags about his "Band of Brothers", but seems to forget that he left them long before his tour was up, and came back to the states and said the same thing the VC were saying.

Oh yeah, the fact that he also went to France to meet with the VC while we were still at war with them, doesn't sit right either.

--Ulysses S. Grant
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read "Unfit for Command?"

Have you read the messages in these forums that deal with your questions?

Have you read the main web site?

All of your questions can be answered. The search function usually works pretty well - located at the top of every page.

People are very good about answering questions, here, but they're not anyone's personal research librarian. Wink

Dig in - there's more material here than you can absorb in a week.
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: exaggerating? okay - I buy that... Reply with quote

Republican Pete McClosky must have been exaggerating his ass off last night on Hardball...

PS - I'm not arguing with you, and sincerely interested in this. You see - I feel that this debate is going to tear apart an otherwise already divided and hateful (torwards each other) country. And as they have their right to express their view - so to do I! and this is very worrisom to me - and I am not even voting for Kerry.

MATTHEWS:  But he did say in his testimony, we were people cutting off ears and cutting off heads.
MCCLOSKEY:  Well, there were people that said that.  And I...
MATTHEWS:  He did, too.
MCCLOSKEY:  Well, I‘ll tell you, we ran across General Patton‘s son, a colonel, who was flying around in a helicopter man collecting ears of Viet Cong, cutting off ears, shooting at them with his pistol out of a helicopter.  But that was the exception.
Most of the men served honorably.  And Vietnam veterans ought to be treated better than most veterans, because they fought in a war that was unpopular at a time.  But I think these men have been so carried away by their anger over that testimony that he gave that I think they have forgotten the truth. 
The men that served with him knew him as a leader and as a war hero.  I knew him as a principled, probably idealistic young man.  It took courage to speak out in ‘71 against a war.  We had Marines fighting over there.  I had friends fighting over there.  But the war was wrong.  It‘s just like Iraq today.  You can support the troops, but you don‘t necessarily need to support the policy that put them there or keeps them there. 
PO2
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Vietnam Veteran, Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:
My name is Michael Berryman Smith.

I'm 41 years old. By the time the war was over I was 12 or 13 years old. Unfortunately, I do not know a whole lot about Vietnam.

I have some questions. Allow me some background first.

Sincerely
Michael Berryman Smith
Fort Worth, Texas

Well, Mr. Smith, I WAS there so I can probably say a few things here. I really doubt that any Vietnam vet would tell stories of atrocities he either did or saw. To observe and not report atrocities is a serious offense under the UCMJ.. If those individuals were still on Active Duty, they can still be prosecuted under the UCMJ. Therefor, I sincerely doubt that such things were said to you by the people you indicate.

As to atrocities, yes there were some over there. SOME. Most, without publication like the Calley incident had, were reported to senior personnel and proper UCMJ action was taken.

Atrocities can be expected when you face an enemy like the NVA or VC. It is human nature to want "pay back" when we saw how our brothers were treated before they died, or the way they died. Tempers and emotions flared. The "Brass" was cognizant of this, and watched closely for signs of it. Despite the enemy, we tried our hardest to maintain humanity in every thing we did. Some died because they tried to treat others humanely, but that did not stop us from trying. We were still Americans with a history of helping the oppressed and downtrodden, we still held within us the memories of what our parents, and churches taught us. Many of us have memories which keep us awake at night. Most are memories of people we HAD to kill. Why someone of normal mind would wantonly kill is a mistery to me after experiencing their first firefight. Defense, yes. Offensive behaviors, no. Yes, we set up ambushes and did things like that, but that was to destroy an invading army, complete as to uniforms and orders. They were on their way to kill us or our brothers, so we stopped them before they could stop us. So many regret having to do it, but we did it for self preservation. We took no joy in it, but we HAD to do it.
blue9t3
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Vietnam Veteran, Reply with quote

confused in Texas.

Sincerely
Michael Berryman Smith
Fort Worth, Texas[/quote]

Dear confused, sometimes stories are just that, take john kerry for example. You should try to get your info as close to the source as possible,then ask questions. Let me suggest going to www.swiftvets.com, maybe even read it!!
Ive never heard of that guy your voting for, but Im sure hes alot better than kerry.
As for Mr. Rassmann, the only thing they really agree on is that kerrys boat plucked him out of the water,and I dont think there was a swifty out there that wouldnt do the same.
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! McCloskey is not exactly a credible reference if you're trying to get to the bottom of atrocities in Vietnam! Very Happy

And Chris Mathews is not a credible source for anything. He could give me the date and I'd check the Naval Observatory for verification. Wink

Really, before you dig yourself any deeper and make a worse impression than you might intend to make.... go do some reading. Study up on this. There are tons of threads here on everything you want to know.
Michael B. Smith
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr. Vietnam Veteran, Reply with quote

"Well, Mr. Smith, ... Therefor, I sincerely doubt that such things were said to you by the people you indicate."

So now I am a liar as well????

well - thank you very much Sir.

But I do appriciate the rest of your post, it was informative - and I do thank you for your service in Vietnam.

it is simply to bad however, when someone is looking for answers from those who were there to be called a liar for posing the question based on things told to me.
Sgt-Keeper
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Who is lying Reply with quote

Michael, I am glad you are interested in looking for the truth. Too many people returned with "Good Stories" they heard about things that happened over there. One of my good friends just told me that he was on the famous "helicopter prisoner interrogation flight", the one with the three prisoners they threw out the door etc.... not true. That was going around when I was there, a full two years before he was in-country. It is sometimes fun to make up or repeat the war stories. Just ask JFK! I wish I had a nickle for everyone who was "there" and saw "that". The real combat vets hardly ever talked about the stuff they had been involved in, not because they were part of an atrocity, but because the real fighting was really bad and scary. Most of those arm-chair heros were clerks, or rear echelon. Not a put down because they were needed too. But, too often the biggest story tellers are still the biggest liars. I am sure my brother SBVs will concur. I know my fellow combat brothers I know personally today agree with the facts that most real combat vets are pretty mum about those times. Those times are still intensely personal. No, no one in my squad saw or committed any atrocities. Considering the times and the media back then, more than just Lt. Calley would have been in the brig if those things happened. Yes, Kerry lied. So did most of those "vets" who testified then. Read the book "Stolen Valor". It will help you answer your own questions. And make those "self confessed atrocity heros" look more stupid than they already are. If those heros persist with their lies, ask to see their DD214. It should at least show some combat experience. Then refer back to 'Stolen Valor".

Last edited by Sgt-Keeper on Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevkersey
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: exaggerating? okay - I buy that... Reply with quote

Michael B. Smith wrote:
Republican Pete McClosky must have been exaggerating his ass off last night on Hardball...

A politician exaggerating? Hard to believe!! Smile

As I said before, it was the testimony that he gave to the Senate, which was based on lies, that gave "Aid and comfort" to the enemy.

Never mind the facts that he changed his mind about being in Cambodia during Christmas, or that his book doesn't jive with his recent account about his first Purple Heart. As others have said, there are plenty of things wrong with his stories that bring his charactor into question.

Oh yeah, and the fact that he is basing his whole campaign in 4 and half months in VN, instead of his 20 years in the Senate... well, that's concerning too.

--Ulysses S. Grant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: