SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kerry and accuracy of www.swiftboats.org

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Navy Operations had most WIA, KIA
Swift Boats
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Game Warden Boats
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Base and Land Support
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

ROWELG
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Kerry and accuracy of www.swiftboats.org Reply with quote

I'm a Korean Destroyer vet who patrolled the coasts. Also a Police Action, our risks were much less than the Vietnam navy. Kerry was on PCF Swift Boats 66 (late 1968) and 94 (early 1969). I understand that Kerry got his three purple hearts over a 6 week period. From www.swiftboats.org boat records I see no WIA or KIA records for either boats 66 or 94. Neither really had much for footnotes. In looking over ALL the swiftboats footnotes, I see little activity in this March and April 1969 interval, other than boats 21, 24, and 43. I see no footnotes of significance on Swiftboats 66 and 94 relating to anything during the Kerry interval. Kerry is not even listed on the crew list who served on PCF94. Did swift boats require the keeping of logs?

I guess my bottom question has to do with why the only real detail accounts come from Kerry. To say "I was there and saw it!" is no detail account As swift boats usually travelled with one or more others, I presume there must be at least 12 to 20 witnesses to these great events who could provide enough details of a six week period, to make a good convincing historical movie, like PT109.

In CDR Schreadley's "From the Rivers to the Sea, the US Navy in Vietnam" there is no mention of Kerry. Schreadlley was bought to Vietnam a couple months after Kerry in 1969,specifically to record the Navy history, by Admiral Zumwalt. He had complete freedom to go anywhere, to talk with anyone, at any time. It was finally published in 1992 as he pissed off Zumwalt, at the time, he believed politics was losing the war (police action).

From books and web pages I understand about 3,000 Navy were killed in Vietnam during this 1965-70 interval. I understand the greatest were those in those smaller Game Warden PBR boats who patrolled the rivers with Seals and minesweepers. From swiftboats, I see about 50 were killed over the 5 years, with half being from accidents. I see that the WIA and KIA came in peaks and valleys, and that Kerry was iin there for a couple months in a valley period of activity.

The one good thing is that the whole subject has raised my interest in the role of the Navy in Vietnam, which was much greater than I had presumed or expected.
JN173
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Corpsmen Reply with quote

Although I'm an Army grunt knowing how we felt about our medics, I'm suprised you haven't received some feed back from the jarheads on this.

Of course I have always assumed that the Corpsmen assigned to the Marines where counted under the Navy casulties and not with the Marines. Am I wrong on that? Confused
carpro
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just sitting here wondering where the category for Corpsmen was when I read your post, JN.
ASPB
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TF 116 definitely more than Swifties. Also TF 117, The MRF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Vets and Active Duty Military All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: