SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why James Rassmann Is Mistaken
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant K. Holcomb
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Why James Rassmann Is Mistaken Reply with quote

Why James Rassmann Is Honestly Mistaken About John Kerry Saving His Life And Kerry Is Shamelessly Exploiting The Situation

I do not doubt the sincerity of Mr. James A. Rassmann regarding his version of events on March 13, 1969.

My own experience and review of such part of the record as is available convinces me that then First Lieutenant James A. Rassmann is right about then Lieutenant Junior Grade John F. Kerry helping him out of the water. However, Rassmann is wrong about Kerry heroically saving his life.

I was an Operations Officer for 2d Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment during the first Gulf War.

As a U.S. Marine Corps Officer, achieving the rank of Major, I was on active duty for over a decade.

I have watched first hand how men behave under enemy fire.

It is my opinion that Mr. Rassmann actually believes that he was under enemy fire and that now Presidential candidate Senator John Kerry is shamefully exploiting the situation for personal political gain.

It is also my opinion that, if a proper investigation is conducted, that Senator Kerry's "band of brothers" will reveal significantly embarrassing facts.

The right questions have not been asked and pertinent U.S. Navy and U.S. Army operational, administrative award, maintenance, and medical documents have not been reviewed, which I believe would disprove Senator Kerry's claims.

I cross-referenced the available official Naval documents and numerous statements from Senator Kerry, Mr. Rassmann, and several other officers and sailors who participated in the "Sea Lords" tactical operation on March 13, 1969.

I use a military "findings of fact" format, presented in chronological order, to describe this incident.

Kerry and Rassmann contradict themselves many times. However, multiple versions match on several points with other first hand accounts so I weighed those findings as being the most accurate.

The official Naval documents reviewed for these findings, to include the after action report (SPOT report), award citations, and battle damage report, were downloaded from the Kerry website.

The closer the date of the statements to the date of the Democratic National Convention (DNC), the more embellished and divergent Kerry's and Rassmann's statements became as compared to older first hand observations and official Naval documents.

The Kerry Presidential campaign news release dated January 17, 2004, appended to this statement, represents the most divergent, carefully embellished, and falsified account of the incident I was able to find.

Why would Kerry's Presidential campaign staff release a statement to the American people materially different from the "official" documents available on Kerry's own website?

Here are my findings:

1.) A U.S. Naval Patrol Craft Fast (PCF), also called a "Swift" boat, is 50 feet long, nearly 14 feet wide, has a maximum speed of 32 Knots, and typically has a crew of six (1 officer and 5 enlisted).

2.) On March 13, 1969, a squadron of five Swift boats participated in operation Sea Lords in Bay Hap River and Dong Cung Canal.

3.) The squadron consisted of Swift boats PCF-94, PCF-51, PCF-23, PCF-43, and PCF-3.

4.) Sea Lords was a "sweeping" operation conducted in conjunction with U.S. Army ground forces and other allied ground forces.

5.) At the end of ground operations (approximately 5 hours), the Swift boats extracted the ground troops and began exiting the river.

6.) LTJG John F. Kerry USN was the Officer-in-Charge of Swift boat PCF-94.

7.) 1LT James A. Rassmann USA was the Executive Officer of A-Detachment (A404), a 12 man Green Beret unit.

8.) Rassmann was a passenger on Kerry's boat and did not serve with Kerry as a crewman.

9.) As a Green Beret, Rassmann was not trained in U.S. Navy Swift boat operations.

10.) Rassmann did not command or have "his own" Swift boat.

11.) Swift boats do not operate independently and the commanders and crews of the other Swift boats in Kerry's Swift boat squadron had direct and daily first hand observation of his conduct and actions.

12.) From the morning ground operations Kerry was wounded in his left buttocks by a piece of shrapnel from a hand grenade, which he had thrown into a bin of rice.

13.) At approximately 1445 hours (2:45 PM) the Swift boats started their exit of the river.

14.) Swift boat PCF-3 was hit by a command detonated mine. The entire crew was wounded and two crew members were thrown into the water. Rassmann was not in this boat.

15.) Only one mine explosion was observed.

16.) Kerry's Swift boat was on the opposite side of the waterway from where Swift boat PCF-3 was damaged by the mine. The waterway is approximately 75 yards wide.

17.) Kerry had his driver speed away down river from the incident site hitting something in the river. This collision resulted in Kerry hitting the bulkhead and receiving contusions on his right forearm. At that time, supposedly responding to a bow gun being jammed, Rassmann was heading to the bow and was subsequently knocked out of Kerry's boat.

18.) Kerry's Swift boat traveled as far as 5,000 meters (3.1 miles) down river before returning up river to retrieve Rassmann.

19.) The maximum rated speed of a Swift boat is 32 Knots (36.8 MPH). Taking into account that Kerry's boat had "curled and chipped" screws, Rassmann was in the water more than 10 minutes.

20.) Rassmann spent a significant amount of his time in the water intentionally submerged, holding his breath in an attempt to evade what he thought was enemy fire.

21.) Swift boats PCF-51, PCF-23, and PCF-43 remained at the scene with damaged Swift boat PCF-3.

22.) After the mine explosion, Swift boats PCF-51, PCF-23, and PCF-43 provided suppression fire against both shorelines in anticipation of an ambush. It is a sound and proven tactical decision to go on the offense against an ambush. Turning and running only exposes your back to the enemy, presenting them with a much better target. Running from an ambush without firing also allows the enemy to easily establish accurate weapons fire.

23.) The Officers-in-Charge of Swift boats PCF-51, PCF-23, and PCF-3 state that they were not receiving enemy fire after the mine explosion.

24.) The weapons fire heard by Rassmann was from the twin .50-caliber Browning machine guns being fired by each of the Swift boats (PCF-51, PCF-23, and PCF-43), not enemy fire. Rassmann assumed that such a significant amount of weapons fire coming from the Swift boats must be in response to enemy fire.

25.) The "Battle Damage" report of March 13, 1969 does not reflect any bullet damage to any of the 5 Swift boats. The lack of any bullet holes in any of the five Swift boats following the incident presents reliable forensic evidence that there was no enemy weapons fire. Also, none of the personnel involved in the incident received any bullet wounds during the incident. In a waterway less than 75 yards wide, if the enemy on both sides of the river were in covered positions with clear fields of fire, the enemy could not possibly miss hitting the 50 foot long aluminum boats. Rassmann and many others would be dead considering the length of time the boats were present supporting Swift boat PCF-3.

26.) Kerry returned to the scene and picked up Rassmann at the same time another Swift boat approached Rassmann for an attempted pick up. Rassmann stated in an interview with Los Angeles Times on 3/13/04 that Kerry pulled him into the boat using his good arm.

27.) Swift boat PCF-43 evacuated Kerry, Rassmann, and the injured crew and passengers of Swift boat PCF-3 to the U.S. Coast Guard vessel Spencer (WHEC-36) where Kerry was treated for the shrapnel wound to his left buttocks and the contusions on his right forearm. Kerry was released for duty immediately following his treatment.

28.) Kerry's Swift boat PCF-94 towed the damaged Swift boat PCF-3 (without Kerry on board) demonstrating PCF-94's operational status after the incident.

29.) Rassmann wrote the award recommendation that resulted in Kerry receiving a medal.

30.) Rassmann recommended that Kerry receive a Silver Star. Rassmann believed then, as he does now, that he was actually under enemy fire.

31.) An official statement from an officer is rarely questioned. The U.S. Navy chain of command at the time of the incident acted in good faith on Rassmann's recommendation for a medal. However, the U.S. Navy issued Kerry a Bronze Star instead of a Silver Star. Kerry also received a Purple Heart.

32.) An act of heroism is defined as going "above and beyond the call of duty". It was Kerry's duty to pick up Rassmann when he fell out of Kerry's boat, not an act of heroism. Kerry could have been charged for dereliction of duty if he had not done so. If the U.S. Navy higher chain of command knew that there was no enemy weapons fire, the medal would not have been awarded.

33.) Rassmann is mistaken about Kerry "saving his life". Swift boat PCF-51 picked up the other men in the water from Swift boat PCF-3 and could have also picked up Rassmann as well.

If this incident is scrutinized, Kerry's "band of brothers" will collapse and, in turn, so will the artificial foundation of Kerry's presidential campaign.

As a child I asked my WWII U.S. Marine Corps veteran father about the scars on his body. It was not until I became a Marine that I realized they were bullet wounds. I found a box of his medals and had to use an Encyclopedia to find out what a Purple Heart, Silver Star, and Bronze Star were.

The day before my Marines crossed the line of departure to clear the minefields in Operation Desert Storm, I was ordered to report to my Battalion Commander. He was surrounded by a number of somber looking officers and clutched a red cross message - the only thing a Marine in combat fears. He notified me that my father had passed away.

My father died alone after drinking himself to death. He took to his grave what happened to him in combat. I do not talk to my little boy or my beloved wife about what I experienced in combat. Why should they be exposed to my demons? I thank God that I am alive and have a family that loves me and that I live in the greatest nation in history.

Appended is a news release from the Kerry Presidential campaign.

Reading this news release left with me with a perception that Kerry's lack of integrity is accompanied by a self-regard so excessive that it empowers him to act in an unethical and manipulative fashion.

By making this exaggerated event the cornerstone of his Presidential campaign, Senator Kerry profoundly disrespects the Office of the President, the citizens of our great nation, and generations of men and woman who have sacrificed their lives in the defense of our nation.

John Kerry is not qualified to hold any public office.

Grant K. Holcomb
Larkspur, CO
Edited by Moderator to remove personal information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Immediate Release

January 17, 2004

Contact: Stephanie Cutter, 202-528-0143, Laura Capps, 515-288-5504

Kerry Reunites with Fellow Veteran in Iowa

Veteran says Kerry saved his life in combat; has not seen him since 1969

Des Moines, IA- Former Lieutenant John Kerry was reunited today with fellow Vietnam veteran Jim Rassmann, who says Kerry saved his life during combat.

On March 13, 1969, Rassmann, a Green Beret, was traveling down the Bay Hap river in a boat behind Kerry's when both were ambushed by exploding land mines and enemy fire coming from the shore. Kerry was hit in the arm, while a mine blew Rassmann's boat out of the water. With enemy fire coming from both sides of the river and swift boats evacuating from the area, Kerry's crew chose to turn their boat toward the ambush to save Rassmann.

"We were still under fire, and he was wounded at the time·," recalled Rassmann. And with his boat's gunners providing suppressing fire, Kerry extended his wounded arm into the water and the two lieutenants locked arms.

Kerry and Rassmann have not seen each other since 1969. Yesterday, Jim Rassmann called John Kerry's campaign headquarters and said: "I saw that John is in another tough fight, and I want to lend a hand."

Rassmann, a retired Los Angeles county sheriff who now lives in Florence, Oregon, flew to Iowa this morning to reunite with Kerry. Kerry, with fellow veterans around him, said he was moved by Rassmann's decision to come to Iowa.

"I remember the day and the moment we last met; the lingering bond between us comes from the shared experience of our service," Kerry said. "I told Jim what I tell the thousands of veterans I have met in Iowa: As president, I will never-ever-forget your service." Kerry added.

For Kerry's bravery, Rassmann recommended that he be recognized, and Kerry was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat V. The citation that followed the award read as follows:

"The man was receiving sniper fire from both banks. Lt. Kerry directed his gunners to provide suppressing fire, while from an exposed position on the bow, his arm bleeding and in pain, with disregard for his personal safety, he pulled the man aboard.

Lt. Kerry then directed his boat to return and assist the other damaged craft and towed the boat to safety. Lt. Kerry's calmness, professionalism and great personal courage under fire were in keeping with the highest traditions of the US Naval Service."

-30-

www.JohnKerry.com

--

Last edited by Grant K. Holcomb on Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Integrity
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Awesome post. Thanks. And thanks for your service to our coutry.
tvaughan
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I knew they had implied fierce combat but I had not seen the actual press release from the campaign and what an absolute, bald-face lie it was.

To see how the press is letting Kerry change his story time and time again is sickening.

That was an exceptional analysis.
Talking point #1: Sign 180
Talking point #2: Sign 180
Talking point #3: Sign 180
TroyS
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to say except what Integrity said which is it was awesome!!

Why doesn't the media talk to you and tell us these stories?
ArmyWife
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible post, Major Holcomb! Thank you for laying it all out in this format. This incident has been beat to death in this forum, but I don't think it has ever been given this clarity.

I am very sorry to hear about your father's death and its unfortunate timing in your life. May I offer a gentle suggestion? Go ahead and talk to your wife about your combat experiences. Marriage is for better AND for WORSE, and most of us wives are tough enough to take a demon or two. Just because you had to wonder about your Dad's experiences doesn't mean that your kid should have to...when he's old enough, of course.

One thing that this whole Swift Boat controversy shows us is that there is meaning in passing along accurate accounts of America's military battles, even if they are unpleasant. You can't always know the long-term impact of the history you have taken part in.
Ogre
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding, Sir. Thanks for doing the homework and sharing it.
Recon9
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of Rassman's fellow soldiers spoken out?

The Army would have reports from their own people wouldn't they?

Soldiers riding along on the Swift boat with no boat operational duties would be in a better position to know whether there was "hostile" file. They would be more exposed than the regular crew.
RocketFett
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post Grant! That's really a fantastic analogy of it all. You definitely should e-mail that to all the media outlets and post it everywhere you can. VERY well put together. Smile And thank you for your service that allows me to have the life I have in America! Smile
forgivenjojo
Former Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted Grant Holcomb and he does not have a problem with his personal information being distributed. He WANTS people to contact him about this. If there is any chance the media reads these posts, they surely will need a way to contact him.

Hey MODS, why did you take off his personal information? He wants it there?

He has given me permission to give out this document with his Name, City, and telephone number to anyone I please. I fully intend to do that. And MODS, I am not going to attach anything to the swiftvets.

Thanks, Jody in Texas
USWORHOCKEY
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post!! I know I would love the detailed account to be exposed. Thank god we have people like you!!
Jack Mclaughlin
PO3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a terrific and informative piece. Regarding Jim Rassman, I believe you are absolutely right. He is probably well aware by this time that he is being used as a political pawn, but he won`t be able to extricate himself because they will destroy him personally and professionally.
Reg
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Why James Rassmann Is Mistaken Reply with quote

Grant K. Holcomb wrote:

23.) The Officers-in-Charge of Swift boats PCF-51, PCF-23, PCF-43, and PCF-3 state that they were not receiving enemy fire after the mine explosion.

What is the source for PCF-43? 43's OinC was Don Droz. He was latter killed in April 1969. I have never seen him quoted.

Future Project for Somone:
To be complete, it would be very interesting to see an accounting not just from the OinCs but also from their crews.
brotherofvietvet
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Why Rasmussen believes he is telling the truth Reply with quote

Ditto what everyone else has said. Your analysis is clear cut, consise and excellent. It should be passed on to all the Kerry supporters and SVFT skeptics in the media. We know who they are.
Slednfool
Seaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump. This post needs a sticky.
Grant K. Holcomb
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: YOUR SUPPORT IS URGENTLY REQUESTED Reply with quote

There is the possibility that this article will be distributed widely by multiple reputable national news agencies.

As a former Marine Corps Officer, my word is my bound and my honor and integrity is my life. I have reviewed and cross referenced every resource I could obtain over the public Internet. The "official" Navy documents on Kerry's web site were particularly incriminating. Kerry will have to claim that he did not produce the SPOT report and that it is wrong. If there was enemy fire, things are even worse for Kerry - he accidentally left a man behind exposed to "intense" enemy fire. Either way, the claim that he turned his boat into an ambush to save Rassmann's life is a lie (unless a 6 mile turning radius is acceptable to the American people).

I need your support to ensure the accuracy of this analysis. For those who can, please forward this to any first hand witnesses of the March 13, 1969 event. I have no pride of authorship. This statement must be verified from multiple perspectives.

The tactic used by the press is to discredit one element and the rest must be wrong.

Thank you for your assistance in this critical manner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> Swift Vets and POWs for Truth All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: