SwiftVets.com Forum Index SwiftVets.com
Service to Country

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amazon - delivery after the election!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Amazon - delivery after the election! Reply with quote

I ordered Unfit for Command several weeks ago from Amazon. Yesterday I received a notice that it would not ship until the end of October. Until yesterday, ship date was this week. I've cancelled my entire order (over $100) and will not be ordering from Amazon ever again. We have a nice neighborhood bookstore that will now get all of our business.

Any others have this experience?

Kat
Navy_Navy_Navy
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not trust amazon's estimated ship dates.

We've had people here who were emailed that their order wasn't going to ship until Sept and they recieved their order the same day as the email.
cminning
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange to say the least! I also ordered "Unfit for Command" through Amazon.com on 7 August; it arrived on 27 August. Granted it was bundled with two other books, one of which is definitely not on the "best seller" list. On the other hand, I visited Borders in Pasadena, CA today and could not find "Unfit for Command" the number one best seller on the New York Times list. Store clerks told me that no one anticipated the demand for this book, and that deliveries are sporatic!

I've heard rumors that Kerry sympathizers are doing everything to disrupt distribution of this book prior to the election, including clandestine efforts at Amazon.com and Borders, among others. I have no idea if these charges are true, but they should be investigated. If they are true, the Kerry Campaign is vulnerable to charges of violating the Constitutional rights of free press. However, there are other outlets that should be checked out. Try Frontpagemagazine.com and wintersoldier.com! These sites offer "Unfit for Command" at very competitive prices compared to Amazon.com.

Chuck Minning
Lt. Colonel, USAFR (ret)
sevry
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Amazon - delivery after the election! Reply with quote

ohanakat wrote:
I ordered Unfit for Command several weeks ago from Amazon. Yesterday I received a notice that it would not ship until the end of October. Until yesterday, ship date was this week. I've cancelled my entire order (over $100) and will not be ordering from Amazon ever again. We have a nice neighborhood bookstore that will now get all of our business.

Kat

No. Amazon slipped ship date by a week from their initial promise. But they sent it to my door this Monday, which was at the close end of their new estimate. It actually got here a few days earlier than the first shipments hit the local Costco. I feel that they delivered it in a timely manner. As for the problems with their site - see journal.
LewWaters
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find the book locally, you can order direct from Regnery Publishing. Just do a web search for Regnery and you can order online.
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After cancelling my order at Amazon, I wrote them to tell them why. Got an explanation and apology (and a $10 off coupon). Not sure I buy the explanation:
"Please note, sometimes, unexpected fluctuations in supply can add
time to our original availability estimate. We have learned
that "Unfit for Command: Swift Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John
Kerry" is in short supply. We rely on the publisher/supplier for the
supply of these popular titles. "

But, I do appreciate a real response from a real person, so perhaps I'll give them another chance and use that coupon to order another copy of UFC. Books a Million is also backordered, and I tried ordering from the publisher, but their form wouldn't work... haven't yet received a reply from them.

I don't need the book to make up my mind so perhaps I should let the "limited supply" go to those who do...

Kat
lolajl
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my copy direct from Regnery early last week and had it shipped standard mail. What's the ETA for such orders? Hoping my copy will arrive today . . .
vietnamvet173
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that web programmers who are Kerry supporters are just giving you bad infomation. The site says that delivery time is 7 days.
PhuCat to Phu Quoc
Lt.Jg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Amazon - delivery after the election! Reply with quote

ohanakat wrote:

Kat

I ordered Unfit for Command on July 28, and until today, Amazon.com has been saying they would ship Sept. 28.

Now Amazon.com is saying they've stopped shipping, because their supplier is out of stock.

To: phucat to phu quoc@vikingphoenix.com
Cc: order-update@amazon.com

Subject: Update On Your Amazon.com Order (#103-8389728-1486264)
Date: 08/30/2004
Time: 1:32 PM EDT

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We have some news concerning your order for "Unfit for Command: Swift
Boat Veterans Speak Out Against John Kerry."

We are sorry to report that the supplier is currently out of stock.
However, please be assured that books are on their way from the
publisher and we expect to resume filling orders for this popular
title by the end of next week.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or
disappointment this delay may cause.

We have left your order in place, and will ship this book to you as
soon as it becomes available, but we will certainly understand if you
wish to cancel the item from your order.

To cancel this item online:

1. Click the "Your Account" link at the top of our web site.

2. Click "Cancel items or orders."

3. Sign in with your e-mail address and password, and follow the
instructions on the next page.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address
that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this
message.

Did Jane Fonda help the North Vietnamese communists?
http://vikingphoenix.com/politics/polls/jfondapoll-1.htm
blackwatch
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Order delayed Reply with quote

I ordered the Swiftboat book 2 weeks ago and today received an email saying they were out of stock and it would not be sent untill they received a new shipment which would probably be the end of September. Wrote back asking "were they playing there own brand of politics". I told them if I find out they are I will no longer be buying from them. I am so sick and tired of the networks and others trying to tell me how to think. I can think for myself thankyou very much.
GM1954
Seaman Recruit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My order reached Amazon on August 4. Amazon shipped on August 23 with arrival sometime last week. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Since delivery is questionable, I'm shareing my copy with my brotherinlaw (swiftboat vet, early 1967).
soccer4ever
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolajl wrote:
I ordered my copy direct from Regnery early last week and had it shipped standard mail. What's the ETA for such orders? Hoping my copy will arrive today . . .

How do you do that?

I can't see the link.
neverforget
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to send two pretty blistering e-mails to Amazon after ordering it on 7/28. Received it about a week ago.

I am beginning to wonder if there may be some union involvement in perhaps diverting or "losing" shipments. Just a hypothesis I have no way to test.
ohanakat
Seaman Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sure what to think. If memory serves, one of the reasons for Amazon's success is that it doesn't actually carry any inventory. It could be that supplies of the book are legitimately disrupted, multiple printings, huge demand. It could also be that supplies are intentionally disrupted. UFC is number one at Amazon, so I would think there'd be an interest in capturing as many sales as possible right now. I suspect the book will continue to sell well after the election (and undoubtably be a collectors' item), but obviously, now is the peak opportunity. Successful businesses don't miss these if they want to stay successful.

Since they are now showing shipping within 7 days, I've ordered again and used the coupon for faster shipping. We'll see what happens!

Kat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SwiftVets.com Forum Index -> "Unfit For Command" All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: